Jeffsy 29er Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 29er Thread
Posted: May 17, 2020 at 4:45 Quote
Well the Rhythm fork is desperately in need of a full service. It has felt pretty good lately but is surely lacking mid-stroke support requiring upping LSC through the slow chunk so when I don’t it collapses and the result is not good. As I see it my two options for mid-stroke support and adjustability are $400 for full service and add a Diaz Runt cartridge or $600 for a new Mattoc Pro. Which would you do?

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 6:14 Quote
undescended wrote:
Well the Rhythm fork is desperately in need of a full service. It has felt pretty good lately but is surely lacking mid-stroke support requiring upping LSC through the slow chunk so when I don’t it collapses and the result is not good. As I see it my two options for mid-stroke support and adjustability are $400 for full service and add a Diaz Runt cartridge or $600 for a new Mattoc Pro. Which would you do?

If it was working well before, I would just start with a lower legs service, will take you 1 hour max and cost just a few dollars.... Your options seem pretty extreme / overkill if this fork was suiting your needs until recently.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 7:18 Quote
undescended wrote:

Similar to previous comment, I'd do lowers and add a token to see how it feels, then maybe add another token or take away a token before spending money on a RUNT or new fork, and at that I'd probably go with the new fork.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 17:48 Quote
TibZ wrote:
If it was working well before, I would just start with a lower legs service, will take you 1 hour max and cost just a few dollars.... Your options seem pretty extreme / overkill if this fork was suiting your needs until recently.

Ah, the voice of reason, thank y’all once again for reeling me in and putting things in perspective. I rode the usual Gnar today with LSC on 1/3, kept momentum, pushed back and let the fork do its’ job...leavin LSC right there. I’ve been reluctant to service the fork myself after f’n up a Minute Pro a few years back...think it’s time to give it another go!! d;o)

chacou wrote:
Similar to previous comment, I'd do lowers and add a token to see how it feels, then maybe add another token or take away a token before spending money on a RUNT or new fork, and at that I'd probably go with the new fork.

Got two tokens and it’s been handling small jumps just fine...Should be ok if I stop opening the LSC...put the money away for an IZZO, Yea!!!

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 20:01 Quote
Hello everyone. I have a question which may have already been discussed in this giant thread but I did not come across it. I am looking at a 2020 29 Jeffsy for my wife. I plan on getting the pro (due to external reasons) but I am confused on YTs suspension selection, specifically compared to the Comp version.

Jeffsy Pro:
Fork: ROCKSHOX PIKE SELECT +
Rear Shock: ROCKSHOX SUPER DELUXE SELECT +

Jeffsy Comp:
Fork: FOX 36 FLOAT RHYTHM
Rear Shock: FOX FLOAT DPX2 PERFORMANCE

The Comp suspension components seem equal or maybe better than the Pro suspension components.

Can anyone explain why they would have chosen these suspension setups for each build.

Thanks in advance.

Posted: May 17, 2020 at 20:22 Quote
mtnbikemoss wrote:
Hello everyone. I have a question which may have already been discussed in this giant thread but I did not come across it. I am looking at a 2020 29 Jeffsy for my wife. I plan on getting the pro (due to external reasons) but I am confused on YTs suspension selection, specifically compared to the Comp version.

Jeffsy Pro:

Jeffsy Comp:

The Comp suspension components seem equal or maybe better than the Pro suspension components.

Can anyone explain why they would have chosen these suspension setups for each build.

Thanks in advance.

To watch his own but the Pike is more than capable and it comes with the newest charger 2.1 damper and the super deluxe is the same if not better in terms of performance as the dpx2. It’s used in downhill racing which the dpx2 is only for trail. SD can also be tuned with the Megneg as well. I would choose the RS suspension over the lower end Fox stuff if it were me. But like I said to each his own

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 1:14 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
mtnbikemoss wrote:

Jeffsy Pro:

Jeffsy Comp:

Thanks in advance.

To watch his own but the Pike is more than capable and it comes with the newest charger 2.1 damper and the super deluxe is the same if not better in terms of performance as the dpx2. It’s used in downhill racing which the dpx2 is only for trail. SD can also be tuned with the Megneg as well. I would choose the RS suspension over the lower end Fox stuff if it were me. But like I said to each his own

All this, + way easier to service yourself.

Posted: May 18, 2020 at 13:35 Quote
See - I think the DPX2 is far better than the RS Super Deluxe Select +

I have the 2020 SC Hightower and it came with a Lyrik and Super Deluxe. I ended up replacing with a Fox 36 and a DPX2 out back.

I've also had a Pike in the past as well as a RS Monarch. I've ridden multiple Fox versus RS suspension setups and feel that every time the Fox is a better fit for me. I'm convinced that there's not one that's better than another and it all comes down to personal preference of how you want the suspension to perform.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 7:29 Quote
Along this line of discussion, does anyone have a good recommendation for upgrading the shock? I
have the base model and the shock feels like the weak link in the suspension. I have read many people going coil shocks because of the progressive geo on YTs. I'm also a heavier rider at 230 lbs. My only hesitation with a coil is that my local terrain doesn't have much elevation gain/loss and is tighter single track overall, so not sure if a coil is right for what I ride. Also I don't want to lose playful nature for planted. I've been looking at DVO but unsure if I should go coil or air. Thanks for your thoughts!

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 11:27 Quote
cdavebolt wrote:
Along this line of discussion, does anyone have a good recommendation for upgrading the shock? I
have the base model and the shock feels like the weak link in the suspension. I have read many people going coil shocks because of the progressive geo on YTs. I'm also a heavier rider at 230 lbs. My only hesitation with a coil is that my local terrain doesn't have much elevation gain/loss and is tighter single track overall, so not sure if a coil is right for what I ride. Also I don't want to lose playful nature for planted. I've been looking at DVO but unsure if I should go coil or air. Thanks for your thoughts!

I went coil and in my opinion the bike is still poppy when I want it to be. I’m running a Push 11-6 shock on mine. I do not regret it at all. I love the way the bike rides now

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 16:49 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
cdavebolt wrote:

I went coil and in my opinion the bike is still poppy when I want it to be. I’m running a Push 11-6 shock on mine. I do not regret it at all. I love the way the bike rides now

Awesome thanks for your thoughts. I've also considered the Marzocchi Bomber as a budget option, but am still unsure.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 17:45 Quote
Yt's progressive suspension work very well with coil shocks. The Bomber CR is a good choice at a good price.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 20:28 Quote
cdavebolt wrote:

I went with an X2 and have been very happy. The shock is SO tuneable its awesome. I upgraded my fork to the Push ACS3 Coil and now I want their 11-6 shock, just waiting on a sale. Ha

The DPX2 That came on mine was also a good shock, not as tuneable but performed well.

Posted: May 22, 2020 at 21:01 Quote
joedave wrote:
cdavebolt wrote:

I went with an X2 and have been very happy. The shock is SO tuneable its awesome. I upgraded my fork to the Push ACS3 Coil and now I want their 11-6 shock, just waiting on a sale. Ha

The DPX2 That came on mine was also a good shock, not as tuneable but performed well.

I took the advice of others here and went coil. I got a good deal on a ccdb coil + valt spring at jenson. Very happy with the result. It's a lot calmer over repeated roots and rocks, but I don't feel like I lost any pop. FWIW, after installing I got multiple prs on trails that I thought I was very unlikely to pr again (i'm older, more out of shape! wasn't even pushing for speed, either), which was very surprising to me. I just wanted a more controlled feeling and I'm happy with the coil. Can't say I notice the weight difference. at all. I've put on more weight over this quarantine than my bike has, that's for sure!

Posted: May 23, 2020 at 18:53 Quote
I've got the Bomber coil on my Mk1 Jeffsy and it's awesome. My first ride on it was after an injury that sidelined me for 1.5 years. Even with how rosy and out of shape I was, I was clearing some jumps more easily than with the stock Monarch. I really didn't notice a loss of happiness, just the skitteryness.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006519
Mobile Version of Website