Jeffsy 29er Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 29er Thread
Posted: May 25, 2020 at 17:27 Quote
I went coil with a Jade X. Such an incredible upgrade! Completely transformed the bike, and it maintains it's poppy nature as well.

O+
Posted: May 26, 2020 at 0:47 Quote
I made a check on the frame bearings and it seems that the brake side Chainstay bearings have sipped some water along the way and are now now in quite "crispy" condition and need to be changed.

Those of you who have changed the chainstay bearings on a mk1 Jeffsy 29 with CF frame; Can the bearings just be pressed out from one side? Or is some kind of blind puller needed?

There seems to be 2mm spacer between the bearings, so I'm assuming that the slot in the seatstay is just a straight hole and one could just press both bearings out on same time, but I guess it is safer to ask first... Rolleyes

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 6:55 Quote
Awesome thanks all for the thoughts, I'm going to look into coil when I upgrade! Good to hear the Bomber is nice too because that'll fit nicely into what I can afford.

Posted: May 26, 2020 at 7:05 Quote
Vertti83 wrote:
I made a check on the frame bearings and it seems that the brake side Chainstay bearings have sipped some water along the way and are now now in quite "crispy" condition and need to be changed.

Those of you who have changed the chainstay bearings on a mk1 Jeffsy 29 with CF frame; Can the bearings just be pressed out from one side? Or is some kind of blind puller needed?

There seems to be 2mm spacer between the bearings, so I'm assuming that the slot in the seatstay is just a straight hole and one could just press both bearings out on same time, but I guess it is safer to ask first... Rolleyes

You will need the blind puller. Bearings can be pressed one from each side, and can not be pressed through the stay. They need to be pulled back out the same way they came in.
On my Jeffsy it wasn't to hard. But I helped friend, and one of his was major PITA to remove.

I used one of those: https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/wheels-manufacturing-sealed-bearing-extractor-for-6000-6200-6800-and-6900-bearings?gclid=CjwKCAjw_LL2BRAkEiwAv2Y3SZmttTWcxR_TDDyAczQurQpgLjZiofel5Qc07exG1WngvyHt8-G1ehoCA0UQAvD_BwE

I can' remember the which one exactly, you will have to get the correct tool size for that bearing.

O+
Posted: May 27, 2020 at 2:52 Quote
scoobiemario wrote:
Vertti83 wrote:

You will need the blind puller. Bearings can be pressed one from each side, and can not be pressed through the stay. They need to be pulled back out the same way they came in.
On my Jeffsy it wasn't to hard. But I helped friend, and one of his was major PITA to remove.

Ach, dang, not that easy then. Gotta get more tools... Thanks for the info tup

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 11:54 Quote
Hey guys!
I have a Jeffsey CF Pro 2019 (140/140mm). I saw that this year all models came with 150/150 and was thinking of upgrading the fork to 150mm. Is anyone running a 150mm front and 140mm back set up? If so how does it affect climbing, handling, etc.

Thanks!

Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 13:36 Quote
Absolut239 wrote:
Hey guys!
I have a Jeffsey CF Pro 2019 (140/140mm). I saw that this year all models came with 150/150 and was thinking of upgrading the fork to 150mm. Is anyone running a 150mm front and 140mm back set up? If so how does it affect climbing, handling, etc.

Thanks!

No noticeable changes in my opinion. Ran a 150/140 setup for some time until I replaced the rear shock. Definitely suggest going to 150/150

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 18:12 Quote
Follow up that e13 sent me tracking last week on a replacement for my broken wheel - they are clearly a bit behind due to covid, but they came through, no questions. New wheel gets here tomorrow. As others have said, just be patient.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2020 at 18:21 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
Absolut239 wrote:
Hey guys!

Thanks!

No noticeable changes in my opinion. Ran a 150/140 setup for some time until I replaced the rear shock. Definitely suggest going to 150/150

Yeah I was also debating of removing the 5mm space in the Deluxe shock increasing travel to 150, but not sure how the shock would cope

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 14:53 Quote
Hello fellow riders! Smile

Bought a Jeffsy base 29, about 2 months ago, and only riding it in dry conditions, always washing afterwards, it developed a creak in a bottom bracket. And I am a bit lost here, I'd like to upgrade that bottom bracket to something more long-lasting let's say. I tried to look into yt's page to see what bottom bracket is there and to look for any parameters I could use to see what I could upgrade it to, I couldn't find any... The groupset is the SX Eagle, but what bottom bracket fits it? I'd like to buy it before-hand and just give it to my local mechanic so he'd swap it and I could go back riding asap. Thank you for your help, stay safe Smile

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 17:16 Quote
Does it say dub on the crankset? If it’s dub then you have to get a dub compatible bb. I just replaced mine (dub) which the original crankset on my jeffsy was GX. I’m now using bbinfinite’s dub version

O+
Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 1:32 Quote
DDCS wrote:
Hello fellow riders! Smile

Bought a Jeffsy base 29, about 2 months ago, and only riding it in dry conditions, always washing afterwards, it developed a creak in a bottom bracket. And I am a bit lost here, I'd like to upgrade that bottom bracket to something more long-lasting let's say. I tried to look into yt's page to see what bottom bracket is there and to look for any parameters I could use to see what I could upgrade it to, I couldn't find any... The groupset is the SX Eagle, but what bottom bracket fits it? I'd like to buy it before-hand and just give it to my local mechanic so he'd swap it and I could go back riding asap. Thank you for your help, stay safe Smile

First thing, check that you cranks are tight enough!

Then regarding the BB; It indeed is PITA to try finding info what is the bottom bracket on these things. It think it is the same as on the CF ones, so the magic word would be "Pressfit BB92", which defines the bottom bracket shell dimensions on the frame. I would double check and send email directly to YT, asking what is the BB on the frame.

Then depending if you want to keep same cranks or if you decide to get some new ones that are of different type, you need to know which axle standard(DUB, HT2, Cinch, GXP, etc.) the cranks have. The original cranks seem to have DUB axle(28.99mm), so if you just want to replace the existing BB with new one, look for BB92/DUB bottom bracket, for example this.

If you want bombproof and (relatively) inexpensive replacement that allows better bearings, I would go for Shimano cranks(SLX) which have HT2 axle with 24mm diameter. The thinner axle allows to fit bigger bearings and better seals between the BB shell on the frame and crank axle. But for this you need new BB+cranks+chainring...

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 5:17 Quote
Thank you for help everybody! Smile I am pretty sure it is the bb as the creak ONLY happens when I stand up and pedal hard to accelerate doesn't matter if it's level ground or bumpy. I took out some air of the shock to be able to push the bike down with hand through all of the travel and pivots and other parts seem silent and the bike is overall silent when riding except when pedaling hard as I mentioned... Cranks seem to be sitting tight they have no movement whatsoever. I sent an email to YT just to be sure what bb is fitted.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 10:34 Quote
DDCS wrote:
Thank you for help everybody! Smile I am pretty sure it is the bb as the creak ONLY happens when I stand up and pedal hard to accelerate doesn't matter if it's level ground or bumpy. I took out some air of the shock to be able to push the bike down with hand through all of the travel and pivots and other parts seem silent and the bike is overall silent when riding except when pedaling hard as I mentioned... Cranks seem to be sitting tight they have no movement whatsoever. I sent an email to YT just to be sure what bb is fitted.

It's bb86/92. Almost certainly sram dub bb.

I had the e13 bottom bracket with 30mm spindle and it creaked and died every 6 months. Finally gave up messing with it and put in Shimano xt cranks and an Enduro torqtite bb. Has better and larger bearings and it threads together for an easier install. Supposedly creak free. Also bearings are replaceable if it ever dies. Pf bb is the only real compliant I have about the jeffsy.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 10:29 Quote
Thank you for your help guys! Gonna leave the bike at a workshop next week, will update here what was the issue, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't the bb. Otherwise a very good bike, easy to ride, couldn't be happier given the price, only thing I noticed that riding at higher speeds if the trail is really bumpy bike feels very busy coping with the surface and it is not that supple if it makes sense, but it may just be me.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.282828
Mobile Version of Website