Jeffsy 29er Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 29er Thread
| Next Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 13:29 Quote

Thanks, is the aluminium the same as the carbon?

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 14:37 Quote
You can always email them to ask which you’d need, I did and they were super helpful.

For the carbon Jeffsy they sell an EC44 top cup which creates about 18mm of stack in total. In my case that was fine and I even had room for one more spacer. I found this awesome geometry calculator which helped me decide to go for a -1.5 degree headset and increase my fork travel to 160mm. This has left the geometry basically unchanged except for the head angle.

As it happens I finished installing it all today. I haven’t ridden it yet in this configuration but this is what it looks like.

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 16:43 Quote
I was borderline between a medium and large and I sized up. I’m very glad I did

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 19:18 Quote
appltn wrote:
. I found this awesome geometry calculator which helped me decide to go for a -1.5 degree headset and increase my fork travel to 160mm. This has left the geometry basically unchanged except for the head angle.

As it happens I finished installing it all today. I haven’t ridden it yet in this configuration but this is what it looks like.

I am running a 160 fork with a -1 degree from Works. I am measuring a 64 degree HA. Reach is noticeably shorter which I’m noticing not having as much room to move around on the bike. I just ordered a Reach Adjust headset to see how that feels between the two.

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 0:31 Quote
bigquotesI am running a 160 fork with a -1 degree from Works. I am measuring a 64 degree HA. Reach is noticeably shorter which I’m noticing not having as much room to move around on the bike. I just ordered a Reach Adjust headset to see how that feels between the two

Are you running a lot of stem spacers? One interesting thing I figured out is that as you add spacers to a slack head angle you decrease the effective reach, pulling the stem back towards you. A few things you could try to fix this if you’d prefer not to go back to the stock head angle are:

1. Remove all the stem spacers and instead get a higher rise handlebar (obviously only works if you do run spacers now).
2. Keep the spacers but increase your stem length by 5mm or 10mm.
3. Go even slacker with your head angle. This will drop the front of the bike and increase the actual reach.

My reach with a -1.5 headset is pretty much unchanged on paper and it feels the same on my driveway too, we’ll see how it feels on the trail. If it does feel shorter I’ll either go from a 35mm to a 40mm stem or maybe remove the one spacer I have and increase my bar rise from 30mm to 35mm.

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 18:35 Quote
Tommy-P87 wrote:

Yes, On MK2 both AL and CF use the same headset size... MK1 CF was different.
Regarding the steerer, a DMR Defy stem has a short 27mm stack height which gives more room for adjustment as well as raising the bar height.

Posted: Jun 7, 2021 at 22:26 Quote
undescended wrote:
Tommy-P87 wrote:

Regarding the steerer, a DMR Defy stem has a short 27mm stack height which gives more room for adjustment as well as raising the bar height.

Thanks, I contacted works and they got back to me straight away.

"The headset we supply to fit your YT is the EC44/ZS56 to suit tapered steerer - the upper cup needs to be external to allow the bearing to be offset.

The total stack height of the EC44 upper cup is 16mm including the bearing cover."

This stack height is the same as the original headset that's on my bike due to the tall top bearing cover that Acros uses so I should be good to keep the same stem and the one small spacer that's already there. I placed my order for the 1 degree slacker option last night, didn't want to go to slack, I've already upped the fork to 160 so will see how it goes

Posted: Jun 8, 2021 at 6:52 Quote
Tommy-P87 wrote:
undescended wrote:
Tommy-P87 wrote:

Thanks, I contacted works and they got back to me straight away.

"The headset we supply to fit your YT is the EC44/ZS56 to suit tapered steerer - the upper cup needs to be external to allow the bearing to be offset.

The total stack height of the EC44 upper cup is 16mm including the bearing cover."

This stack height is the same as the original headset that's on my bike due to the tall top bearing cover that Acros uses so I should be good to keep the same stem and the one small spacer that's already there. I placed my order for the 1 degree slacker option last night, didn't want to go to slack, I've already upped the fork to 160 so will see how it goes

I took a first ride on my -1.5 degree and 160mm setup today and I can say that I loved it. It feels almost unchanged when seated and there's a subtle but definitely noticeable improvement when descending. It's the same bike but a little bit more capable which is exactly what I wanted.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 13:19 Quote
Fitted my 1 degree works headset tonight. Went pretty straight forward. Don't know how to add photos so can't show. First ride is an all day push up day at Forest of Dean on Saturday, unlikely that I'll notice any difference as I'm not the type to really know what's going on when I'm riding. Just hold on and hope I make it to the bottom in one piece.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 0:48 Quote
I searched through quickly, but to save me time, can anyone tell me the widest tyre that can clear on a 2020 base? I offed my mates whee to itl with 2.8 nobby nic and it scuffs chain stay.
Was hopi g a 2.6 will fit

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 1:02 Quote
2.4 or 2.5 is the conservative choice, 2.6 might work depending on tire brand and conditions (mud...)

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 2:28 Quote
The other day I noticed a little tyre rub from my 2.4" DHR, though funnily enough only on one side. I'm guessing I corner more aggressively one way than the other

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011969
Mobile Version of Website