Powered by Outside

Jeffsy 29er Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 29er Thread
Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 22:19 Quote
@wowbagger how is your jeffsy compared to your bronson?

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 23:10 Quote
ibis09 wrote:

Got me confused there Wink no Bronson in my garage, unfortunately

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 4:48 Quote
wowbagger wrote:
ibis09 wrote:

@ibis09 i think you were looking at the photo i posted. The Jeffsy is mine but that Bronson belongs to my wife. Her bike is a size small and i am 6'1'' so i cant really say how it rides... though she uses it for the same terrain and riding style that i use my Jeffsy for.

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 9:35 Quote
Anyone other than YT make Jeffsy hangers? Bent another one at the weekend and need to stock up.

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 13:26 Quote
Thinking about buying a Jeffsy 29 for my wife. She likes the Scott Genius but I don’t like the price, or lack of value to be exact.

How well does the Jeffsy climb/pedal and handle compared to a shorter travel bike? A 110-130mm bike would be enough for 99% of the riding she’ll be doing but would be nice if the bike could handle novice bike park and lift runs on occasion. Hoping to find something that can do this but without too much of a tradeoff on the normal trail rides.

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 14:30 Quote
Camstyn wrote:
Thinking about buying a Jeffsy 29 for my wife. She likes the Scott Genius but I don’t like the price, or lack of value to be exact.

How well does the Jeffsy climb/pedal and handle compared to a shorter travel bike? A 110-130mm bike would be enough for 99% of the riding she’ll be doing but would be nice if the bike could handle novice bike park and lift runs on occasion. Hoping to find something that can do this but without too much of a tradeoff on the normal trail rides.

I just bought second xc bike - Focus o1e, and tested it on the same local xc trails here in NL which I've ridden a lot with Jeffsy. The difference in pedalling and going uphill is very marginal. Yes there is a feeling that Focus pedals better and has more in reserve if you have really strong legs, it bobs less on really hard pedalling but according to my Strava time it is not much faster on uphills and flats and lot of sections I still have my PRs on Jeffsy. I used same LB carbon wheels on Focus which I used on Jeffsy and same tires.

So we have race ready XC WC frame 100mm travel on the one hand and Jeffsy trail bike upgraded to 150mm travel on the other that both delivered for me almost same average speed on local xc trails but Jeffsy I also can take into the mountains to have real fun.

For one bike - definitely Jeffsy

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 14:43 Quote
I had 2 hardtails before jeff he climbs better than both.

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 15:38 Quote
Hey folks. Going to trade out my 32 chain ring for a 28. Anyone pulled the RF crank off? From what I have seen I just use an 8mm and loosen (lefty loosey), but it is very tight. Is that correct? I don't want to force it and damage it. First time with this crank set. Thanks for your help in advance.

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 16:48 Quote
kwietrick wrote:
wowbagger wrote:
ibis09 wrote:

@ibis09 i think you were looking at the photo i posted. The Jeffsy is mine but that Bronson belongs to my wife. Her bike is a size small and i am 6'1'' so i cant really say how it rides... though she uses it for the same terrain and riding style that i use my Jeffsy for.

My bad...

FL
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 18:25 Quote
Hipnosis wrote:
Hey folks. Going to trade out my 32 chain ring for a 28. Anyone pulled the RF crank off? From what I have seen I just use an 8mm and loosen (lefty loosey), but it is very tight. Is that correct? I don't want to force it and damage it. First time with this crank set. Thanks for your help in advance.

yea man just loosen to 8mm bolt. It can be pretty tight, spec calls for 50nm. Also need a bottom bracket tool to remove the actual chain ring.

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 18:27 Quote
Teuton wrote:
Hipnosis wrote:

yea man just loosen to 8mm bolt. It can be pretty tight, spec calls for 50nm. Also need a bottom bracket tool to remove the actual chain ring.

Thanks very much. It is damn tight. I have the BB tool.

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 21:30 Quote
andrii wrote:
Camstyn wrote:

I just bought second xc bike - Focus o1e, and tested it on the same local xc trails here in NL which I've ridden a lot with Jeffsy. The difference in pedalling and going uphill is very marginal. Yes there is a feeling that Focus pedals better and has more in reserve if you have really strong legs, it bobs less on really hard pedalling but according to my Strava time it is not much faster on uphills and flats and lot of sections I still have my PRs on Jeffsy. I used same LB carbon wheels on Focus which I used on Jeffsy and same tires.

So we have race ready XC WC frame 100mm travel on the one hand and Jeffsy trail bike upgraded to 150mm travel on the other that both delivered for me almost same average speed on local xc trails but Jeffsy I also can take into the mountains to have real fun.

For one bike - definitely Jeffsy

Awesome, thanks! Next auestion would be M or L? She’s 5’9 with a 34” inseam. There’s a big jump in seat tube length between the two but a 34” inseam should be long enough, I assume?

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 3:24 Quote
The Jeffsy is fine to pedal uphill, it’s just not particularly fast, and traction can be an issue on more technical climbs with the stock Monarch.

Locking it out makes it somewhat faster, but I have to say if climbing is important, don’t buy a 140mm travel bike.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 6:41 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
The Jeffsy is fine to pedal uphill, it’s just not particularly fast, and traction can be an issue on more technical climbs with the stock Monarch.

Locking it out makes it somewhat faster, but I have to say if climbing is important, don’t buy a 140mm travel bike.

Personally I feel like it pedals just fine. I keep it in the pedal or locked out mode for extended climbs, but on normal trail riding the pedal mode on the monarch does just fine and it pedals uphill just as well as my old Santa Cruz 5010. The bike is quick for all the travel it has. I have a 28t chainring, which helps a little with anti-squat, but I don't think it's that big of a difference.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 7:16 Quote
Hipnosis wrote:

Good on ya, that's what I did. You will see a slight improvement in pedaling performance. I've found leveraging the 8mm allen against the crank arm and wrapping your hands around them and clenching will get it loose most of the time. Your grip strength is far stronger than most people realize, use it to your advantage. Also make sure you get the bolt back on and snug to 50nm. I've put it back on really tight thinking it was enough only to have it come loose on me. 50nm is a lot.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011051
Mobile Version of Website