Jeffsy 29er Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 29er Thread
Author Message
Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 13:37 Quote
hipwr wrote:
wowbagger wrote:
hipwr wrote:

Interesting. Is the 16' the same geo as the 18'?

Yup.

Gotcha, thanks! Do you find the reach to be bothersome on the climbs mostly or just all round? What size stem are you running currently?

Im running the stock 60mm stem. I would prefer a 50 but i think that would feel too short. I also have a 150mm 36 fork, which reduces the reach ever so slightly vs. the stock 140mm fork.

I think a little extra reach would be nice for adding a little stability in steep/fast descending. To say the reach is "bothersome" is taking it too far, but like i said if given the choice i would be shopping for a bike with a reach of roughly 470mm (and a seat angle of 76-77) for my height. My riding is up or down, no flat stuff or XC pedalling for me.

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 15:39 Quote
hipwr wrote:
wowbagger wrote:
hipwr wrote:

Interesting. Is the 16' the same geo as the 18'?

Yup.

Gotcha, thanks! Do you find the reach to be bothersome on the climbs mostly or just all round? What size stem are you running currently?

How long is your inseam (actual measured for bike fit not your pant length: https://www.sierra.com/lp2/bike-fit-guide/)? One problem on the older Jeffsy, especially the 29er, is that you can't really size up for reach unless you have long enough legs because the damn seat tubes are stupidly long... or rather you can size up but may have to run a shorter 150 or 125mm dropper post whereas the 2019 Jeffsy anyone riding a large/XL can 100% run a 170+ dropper. At 6'1" you 100% want the XL for long enough reach given you are riding on the island (steep/technical descents) but that means a 520mm seat tube. You need to figure out if you can run the 150mm dropper and still reach the pedals in the right position. The 2019 you could run a large and get 474mm reach with a 435mm seat tube and easily run a 170 dropper... at 6'1" even the XL with 494mm reach could be a possibility for you depending what feel you want.

I'm 5'10" with short legs (30.5" inseam) and on the large Jeffsy (480mm seat tube) have to run a 125mm dropper... I'm actually about to remedy this with a OneUp Dropper as they have a ~30mm shorter stack height than others so I will cram a 150mm in there but it's setting me back another $263CAD.

If I were you I'd get the 2019 especially on the 29er as a lot has been updated. Yes, it sucks losing the RF Next cranks/bar and XTR/e13 for heavy ass GX Eagle... but I'd rather have a 2019 Pike than a Fox 34 personally.

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 16:37 Quote
gramboh wrote:
hipwr wrote:
wowbagger wrote:


Yup.

Gotcha, thanks! Do you find the reach to be bothersome on the climbs mostly or just all round? What size stem are you running currently?

How long is your inseam (actual measured for bike fit not your pant length: https://www.sierra.com/lp2/bike-fit-guide/)? One problem on the older Jeffsy, especially the 29er, is that you can't really size up for reach unless you have long enough legs because the damn seat tubes are stupidly long... or rather you can size up but may have to run a shorter 150 or 125mm dropper post whereas the 2019 Jeffsy anyone riding a large/XL can 100% run a 170+ dropper. At 6'1" you 100% want the XL for long enough reach given you are riding on the island (steep/technical descents) but that means a 520mm seat tube. You need to figure out if you can run the 150mm dropper and still reach the pedals in the right position. The 2019 you could run a large and get 474mm reach with a 435mm seat tube and easily run a 170 dropper... at 6'1" even the XL with 494mm reach could be a possibility for you depending what feel you want.

I'm 5'10" with short legs (30.5" inseam) and on the large Jeffsy (480mm seat tube) have to run a 125mm dropper... I'm actually about to remedy this with a OneUp Dropper as they have a ~30mm shorter stack height than others so I will cram a 150mm in there but it's setting me back another $263CAD.

If I were you I'd get the 2019 especially on the 29er as a lot has been updated. Yes, it sucks losing the RF Next cranks/bar and XTR/e13 for heavy ass GX Eagle... but I'd rather have a 2019 Pike than a Fox 34 personally.

Hmm yeah I'll have to weigh it out a bit more. I'm about a 33inch inseam. Would this be okay on a large 18?

I'm still pretty in between the 19s are tempting but the savings alone from the 18's would allow me to upgrade anything I need really. But def all taking other owners opinions to factor them in!

Posted: Feb 11, 2019 at 17:15 Quote
hipwr wrote:
gramboh wrote:
hipwr wrote:


Gotcha, thanks! Do you find the reach to be bothersome on the climbs mostly or just all round? What size stem are you running currently?

How long is your inseam (actual measured for bike fit not your pant length: https://www.sierra.com/lp2/bike-fit-guide/)? One problem on the older Jeffsy, especially the 29er, is that you can't really size up for reach unless you have long enough legs because the damn seat tubes are stupidly long... or rather you can size up but may have to run a shorter 150 or 125mm dropper post whereas the 2019 Jeffsy anyone riding a large/XL can 100% run a 170+ dropper. At 6'1" you 100% want the XL for long enough reach given you are riding on the island (steep/technical descents) but that means a 520mm seat tube. You need to figure out if you can run the 150mm dropper and still reach the pedals in the right position. The 2019 you could run a large and get 474mm reach with a 435mm seat tube and easily run a 170 dropper... at 6'1" even the XL with 494mm reach could be a possibility for you depending what feel you want.

I'm 5'10" with short legs (30.5" inseam) and on the large Jeffsy (480mm seat tube) have to run a 125mm dropper... I'm actually about to remedy this with a OneUp Dropper as they have a ~30mm shorter stack height than others so I will cram a 150mm in there but it's setting me back another $263CAD.

If I were you I'd get the 2019 especially on the 29er as a lot has been updated. Yes, it sucks losing the RF Next cranks/bar and XTR/e13 for heavy ass GX Eagle... but I'd rather have a 2019 Pike than a Fox 34 personally.

Hmm yeah I'll have to weigh it out a bit more. I'm about a 33inch inseam. Would this be okay on a large 18?

I'm still pretty in between the 19s are tempting but the savings alone from the 18's would allow me to upgrade anything I need really. But def all taking other owners opinions to factor them in!

I have a 34" inseam and have room to spare with 170mm dropper on a large 16. You will fit either bike just fine, it is a matter of what handling characteristics you want.

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:15 Quote
gramboh wrote:
hipwr wrote:
wowbagger wrote:


Yup.

Gotcha, thanks! Do you find the reach to be bothersome on the climbs mostly or just all round? What size stem are you running currently?

How long is your inseam (actual measured for bike fit not your pant length: https://www.sierra.com/lp2/bike-fit-guide/)? One problem on the older Jeffsy, especially the 29er, is that you can't really size up for reach unless you have long enough legs because the damn seat tubes are stupidly long... or rather you can size up but may have to run a shorter 150 or 125mm dropper post whereas the 2019 Jeffsy anyone riding a large/XL can 100% run a 170+ dropper. At 6'1" you 100% want the XL for long enough reach given you are riding on the island (steep/technical descents) but that means a 520mm seat tube. You need to figure out if you can run the 150mm dropper and still reach the pedals in the right position. The 2019 you could run a large and get 474mm reach with a 435mm seat tube and easily run a 170 dropper... at 6'1" even the XL with 494mm reach could be a possibility for you depending what feel you want.

I'm 5'10" with short legs (30.5" inseam) and on the large Jeffsy (480mm seat tube) have to run a 125mm dropper... I'm actually about to remedy this with a OneUp Dropper as they have a ~30mm shorter stack height than others so I will cram a 150mm in there but it's setting me back another $263CAD.

If I were you I'd get the 2019 especially on the 29er as a lot has been updated. Yes, it sucks losing the RF Next cranks/bar and XTR/e13 for heavy ass GX Eagle... but I'd rather have a 2019 Pike than a Fox 34 personally.

are you me? Big Grin
I'm in the very same situation > running the Medium frame because the legs are too short to run a 150 dropper on the Large.. then again I'm lucky because I seem to like shorter frames more than most people nowadays and I never feel cramped on mine. I do have a 40mm rise bar though, which helps things. Stem is still original, 50mm I think.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting an angleset for mine - would most likely take it to 65.5 (-1°) which would gain me a teeny bit of reach too.

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:35 Quote
hipwr wrote:
gramboh wrote:
hipwr wrote:


Gotcha, thanks! Do you find the reach to be bothersome on the climbs mostly or just all round? What size stem are you running currently?

How long is your inseam (actual measured for bike fit not your pant length: https://www.sierra.com/lp2/bike-fit-guide/)? One problem on the older Jeffsy, especially the 29er, is that you can't really size up for reach unless you have long enough legs because the damn seat tubes are stupidly long... or rather you can size up but may have to run a shorter 150 or 125mm dropper post whereas the 2019 Jeffsy anyone riding a large/XL can 100% run a 170+ dropper. At 6'1" you 100% want the XL for long enough reach given you are riding on the island (steep/technical descents) but that means a 520mm seat tube. You need to figure out if you can run the 150mm dropper and still reach the pedals in the right position. The 2019 you could run a large and get 474mm reach with a 435mm seat tube and easily run a 170 dropper... at 6'1" even the XL with 494mm reach could be a possibility for you depending what feel you want.

I'm 5'10" with short legs (30.5" inseam) and on the large Jeffsy (480mm seat tube) have to run a 125mm dropper... I'm actually about to remedy this with a OneUp Dropper as they have a ~30mm shorter stack height than others so I will cram a 150mm in there but it's setting me back another $263CAD.

If I were you I'd get the 2019 especially on the 29er as a lot has been updated. Yes, it sucks losing the RF Next cranks/bar and XTR/e13 for heavy ass GX Eagle... but I'd rather have a 2019 Pike than a Fox 34 personally.

Hmm yeah I'll have to weigh it out a bit more. I'm about a 33inch inseam. Would this be okay on a large 18?

I'm still pretty in between the 19s are tempting but the savings alone from the 18's would allow me to upgrade anything I need really. But def all taking other owners opinions to factor them in!

You'll fit a large 18 easily with a 150mm maybe even 170 dropper... XL you will be close to bottoming out the 150 post but it might fit... as I said before, you could ride a large but it will be short in comparison to most trail bikes for folks your height these days (445mm reach)... I would at least demo or sit on a bike with similar reach first and make sure it's what you want.

Posted: Feb 12, 2019 at 1:39 Quote
wowbagger wrote:
gramboh wrote:
hipwr wrote:


Gotcha, thanks! Do you find the reach to be bothersome on the climbs mostly or just all round? What size stem are you running currently?

How long is your inseam (actual measured for bike fit not your pant length: https://www.sierra.com/lp2/bike-fit-guide/)? One problem on the older Jeffsy, especially the 29er, is that you can't really size up for reach unless you have long enough legs because the damn seat tubes are stupidly long... or rather you can size up but may have to run a shorter 150 or 125mm dropper post whereas the 2019 Jeffsy anyone riding a large/XL can 100% run a 170+ dropper. At 6'1" you 100% want the XL for long enough reach given you are riding on the island (steep/technical descents) but that means a 520mm seat tube. You need to figure out if you can run the 150mm dropper and still reach the pedals in the right position. The 2019 you could run a large and get 474mm reach with a 435mm seat tube and easily run a 170 dropper... at 6'1" even the XL with 494mm reach could be a possibility for you depending what feel you want.

I'm 5'10" with short legs (30.5" inseam) and on the large Jeffsy (480mm seat tube) have to run a 125mm dropper... I'm actually about to remedy this with a OneUp Dropper as they have a ~30mm shorter stack height than others so I will cram a 150mm in there but it's setting me back another $263CAD.

If I were you I'd get the 2019 especially on the 29er as a lot has been updated. Yes, it sucks losing the RF Next cranks/bar and XTR/e13 for heavy ass GX Eagle... but I'd rather have a 2019 Pike than a Fox 34 personally.

are you me? Big Grin
I'm in the very same situation > running the Medium frame because the legs are too short to run a 150 dropper on the Large.. then again I'm lucky because I seem to like shorter frames more than most people nowadays and I never feel cramped on mine. I do have a 40mm rise bar though, which helps things. Stem is still original, 50mm I think.

I'm still toying with the idea of getting an angleset for mine - would most likely take it to 65.5 (-1°) which would gain me a teeny bit of reach too.

Hah that's funny, I almost did the same (medium 50mm stem) because only having a 125 dropper is annoying on steeps.. looking forward to the longer OneUp. I put a 35mm stem on my large so it's effective reach is really only +5mm from the medium with a 50... I run 35 rise bars as well. I have the carbon so angle set won't fit, but I ordered offset shock bushings and am bumping my Pike to 160mm, should end up at 65.5 HTA, 339mm BB height and about 74 STA... hoping with seat pushed forward it will be ok.

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 16:36 Quote
Does anyone know what NM the rear shock bolts are to be torqued to? I bought my Jeffsy used and do not have the book with the torque specs.

Thanks

Posted: Feb 13, 2019 at 18:37 Quote
ALRIGHT JEFFSY 29 OWNERS.


I'm looking for a Large Al or CF 29er.
Who's selling?

I would prefer a 2018 model

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 0:23 Quote
Go to https://www.yt-industries.com/uk/shopware.php?sViewport=campaign&emotionId=257 and search your model Along16, It will give you the manual and exploded drawings etc


Along16 wrote:
Does anyone know what NM the rear shock bolts are to be torqued to? I bought my Jeffsy used and do not have the book with the torque specs.

Thanks

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 7:36 Quote
hipwr wrote:
tom666 wrote:
hipwr wrote:
Hey all,

Looking for some insight here.

Trying to decide if I pull the trigger on a heavily discounted 2018 Jeffsy 29er CF Pro (from the YT outlet shop), or go with the updated 2019 Pro.

The 2019 CF Pro model has more modern Geometry, Metric shock, but not shipping until April/May, and is about $1200 more. Not to mention has a significantly worse spec (I think).

The 2018 CF Pro is cheaper, available immediately, and in my opinion has a better kit for the money : full fox performance elite, XTR derailleur, Carbon RF Next R cranks and Next R bar, Guide RSC brakes, and fox transfer post . Pretty much everything in this kit seems better to me VS the 19'.

Will I really miss the modern geo (specifically, seat tube angle, wheelbase, etc) of the newer 19' model?

Thanks in advance!

I think it depends on you as a rider and what you want to use it for.

The new jeffsy will be slightly more capable with the longer reach and slacker head angle. It will ride DH tracks better. The steeper seat angle is probably good as well. But the old jeffsy is a really fun, "poppy" bike that handles really good. New one is a better enduro bike, old one might be a better trail bike imo.

Bike Radar's review (can find it on YouTube) it sounds like they preferred the old one. They said something along the lines of "the new one is technically better but the old one is just a great bike".

It also depends how you stack up against the sizing. The biggest difference between the older and newer bikes is the reach/sizing. Depending on what your ideal top tube length is you might sway between the older or the newer bikes.

Rest assured, despite what the trends are doing, the older jeffsy is still a great trail bike. Things haven't moved on so much that 2018 trail bike of the year doesn't cut it.

Can anyone comment on the size of the 18s? I am 6ft 1.5' and I seem to fall in the right range for the Large but I'm wondering if it will be too small... JM from YT said it should fit but I'm still on the fence.

Definitely go for an XL and then maybe change to a shorter stem.

I'm 6'1 and with I'd gone for an XL.

The large has it's perks - it's a really playful poppy bike - but I think at 6'1 I'd look better on an XL.

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 9:28 Quote
I only went with the works components angleset so can't comment on the cane creek one, I believe the works components sizing has been posted on the previous page! Also I went with -2degree angleset in for a penny in for a pound but this to me was the best! Hope this helps...

Just go buy one you won't regret it bud

Posted: Feb 14, 2019 at 12:30 Quote
Thanks for the feedback @silverfox101010 really appreciate it

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Probably buried in snow out there and havent had been able to try it out?


trjoedave wrote:
Looks awesome! Let us know how it rides!



n7slc wrote:
Will1848 wrote:


Awesome! Any plans to send it out for a custom tune or are you going to run it as it comes first?

Got it installed today. I’m just a weekend warrior so no custom tune here. Gonna run it as is and see how it goes.

With tax it was just over $350 and came with everything I needed to install it. The folks at Marzocchi/Fox were awesome to work with.





 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.020060
Mobile Version of Website