Jeffsy 29er Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 29er Thread
Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 8:29 Quote
spizike9 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
Who’s making the jump to shimano 12 speed? My 11sp ethirteen cassette (3rd one warrantied in 18 months) seems to be about toast again and ready to move on to shimano.

Anyone know of minimum chainring that will work with 12sp on the Jeffsy? Would it be any different than clearance on 11sp? I have a plethora of raceface chainrings from 26t-34t and ovals depending on where I am riding. Some of my local trails out the back door are 500-1000ft of elevation per mile, so I usually run a 28t in 11sp. This probably translates to closer to 30t in 12sp but would still like to go smaller if needed. Anyone running similar weenie chainrings?
Will likely pick up SLX 51t cassette and xt mech and shifter.

I’m a fan of shimano over sram but wouldn’t it just be easier and cheaper to go eagle?

Easier as in wouldn’t have to buy a microspline freehub I suppose, but I didn’t think the components were cheaper. Was actually quite happy with The m7100 and m8100 pricepoints.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
spizike9 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
Who’s making the jump to shimano 12 speed? My 11sp ethirteen cassette (3rd one warrantied in 18 months) seems to be about toast again and ready to move on to shimano.

Anyone know of minimum chainring that will work with 12sp on the Jeffsy? Would it be any different than clearance on 11sp? I have a plethora of raceface chainrings from 26t-34t and ovals depending on where I am riding. Some of my local trails out the back door are 500-1000ft of elevation per mile, so I usually run a 28t in 11sp. This probably translates to closer to 30t in 12sp but would still like to go smaller if needed. Anyone running similar weenie chainrings?

I’m a fan of shimano over sram but wouldn’t it just be easier and cheaper to go eagle?

Easier as in wouldn’t have to buy a microspline freehub I suppose, but I didn’t think the components were cheaper. Was actually quite happy with The m7100 and m8100 pricepoints.

You can buy also buy a gx cassette and use it with the rest of the shimano line, I believe. Not sure about pricing compared to full gx eagle... Frankenbike ftw!

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 9:46 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
spizike9 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

I plan to do the same. I initially planned on going with a TRW cassette but price point is pushing me to full XT/XTR.
I emailed e*thirteen about a micro spline freehub body option and was told that as of now they’re using them on production bikes only.
Thought about Eagle also but I’m not a fan of Sram shifters personally.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 11:55 Quote
Sunrace also does XD cassettes soon, with a 10-46 11x and a 10-50 12x. As always, they are not the lightes, though. As an 11x XT/e13 cassette user I'm swinging towards that 10-46 or a plain 10-42 SRAM and maybe a slightly smaller chainring. To be honest, I'm mostly fine with my high gears and wouldn't need more range.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 12:49 Quote
edeltoaster wrote:
Sunrace also does XD cassettes soon, with a 10-46 11x and a 10-50 12x. As always, they are not the lightes, though. As an 11x XT/e13 cassette user I'm swinging towards that 10-46 or a plain 10-42 SRAM and maybe a slightly smaller chainring. To be honest, I'm mostly fine with my high gears and wouldn't need more range.

I've found lately I really don't need the 12 of gears. Seems like most of the time I shift 2 gears at a time anyway, so I don't miss the extra gear (coming from 2017 cf-pro which had x01 eagle). The range is more important.

I do find the eagle chainring/chain is quieter and the derailleur shifts a bit more crisply, but in reality it's not a huge deal. I'm not racing to win. I'm riding for fun, to challenge myself, and to stay in shape.

On my wife's bike I did the microshift advent and it's been solid, esp for the money (whole group was like $100 during a sale at worldwide cyclery). If she needs more gearing, I swap out to a smaller chainring.

Posted: Jul 12, 2019 at 17:17 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
spizike9 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:

Yeah, Is e thirteen making one yet for our bikes? Honestly I just figured one wasn’t out yet. If they are I’ll be upgrading as well once my cassette wears out.

Posted: Jul 13, 2019 at 8:54 Quote
Hi, any suggestions for a Bolt-on Thru Axle for the 2019 Jeffsy CF 29?

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 15:51 Quote
ANyone else’s upper shock bolt look like this? Have had play in my jeffsy since I bought it and took out the shock bolt and noticed wear from rubbing. Bought a new bolt and the play still exists.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 16:45 Quote
spizike9 wrote:

Yeah, Is e thirteen making one yet for our bikes? Honestly I just figured one wasn’t out yet. If they are I’ll be upgrading as well once my cassette wears out.

I'd hope ethirteen will have a microspline driver out this year as a spare part for their hubs but who knows how long it will take. Just got a Pro Race with XTR 9000/e13 cassette (and it's the older design with the 3 aluminum cogs not the newest cassette with just one). Will go XT 10-51 Microspline when the time comes for sure, the TRS cassette is too finnicky for my tastes so far, still dialing it in a bit.

Backpedal dropping is noticeably worse than my old XT 8000 11pd + SunRace 11-46 + XT chain setup which would only drop in the 46t. XTR 9000 + TRS+ = drop in top 3 gears immediately.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 17:03 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
ANyone else’s upper shock bolt look like this? Have had play in my jeffsy since I bought it and took out the shock bolt and noticed ware from rubbing. Bought a new bolt and the play still exists.

I'm afraid your frame mount is toasted, the rubing shows that the bold was twisting/pivoting on the frame instead the shock pivoting on the bolt. The play you experincing is because the frame holes are f@cked!

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 17:44 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:
ANyone else’s upper shock bolt look like this? Have had play in my jeffsy since I bought it and took out the shock bolt and noticed ware from rubbing. Bought a new bolt and the play still exists.

I'm afraid your frame mount is toasted, the rubing shows that the bold was twisting/pivoting on the frame instead the shock pivoting on the bolt. The play you experincing is because the frame holes are f@cked!

Wow kind of what I figured... holes too big. has literally had that play since day 1. I thought maybe it was the shock bushings or something... hopefully YT can get it figured out for me...

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 18:02 Quote
gramboh wrote:
spizike9 wrote:

I'd hope ethirteen will have a microspline driver out this year as a spare part for their hubs but who knows how long it will take. Just got a Pro Race with XTR 9000/e13 cassette (and it's the older design with the 3 aluminum cogs not the newest cassette with just one). Will go XT 10-51 Microspline when the time comes for sure, the TRS cassette is too finnicky for my tastes so far, still dialing it in a bit.

Backpedal dropping is noticeably worse than my old XT 8000 11pd + SunRace 11-46 + XT chain setup which would only drop in the 46t. XTR 9000 + TRS+ = drop in top 3 gears immediately.

Yeah I’m ready to get rid of my e*thirteen sooner than later. Agree with you.

I asked them if/when they’d be offering a microspline driver with this as a reply;

Sean (e13 Support)
Jul 15, 12:23 PDT

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately we won't be offering a Microspline driver in the near future, hopefully someday!

Cheers,
--
Sean Duckworth
The Hive
1445 Technology Lane Suite A9
Petaluma, CA 94954

And I just bent the piss outa my top two cogs, which are an absolute must for my climbing, and looked at ordering the new XT 8100 but will need to replace my rear hub to accommodate it. Which for a decent hub is at least $300.
Fml
So as of now I ordered the replacement e*thirteen cogs, not ideal but I’m not a big Sram fan so... also looked at TRW cassettes but they don’t have an XD compatible 11 spd cassette.

Shimano is being a little b about the microspline driver standard. Rather irritating.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 20:03 Quote
ytjodave wrote:
gramboh wrote:
spizike9 wrote:

I asked them if/when they’d be offering a microspline driver with this as a reply;

Sean (e13 Support)

Hi Joe,

Unfortunately we won't be offering a Microspline driver in the near future, hopefully someday!

Cheers,
--
Sean Duckworth
The Hive
Petaluma, CA 94954

And I just bent the piss outa my top two cogs, which are an absolute must for my climbing, and looked at ordering the new XT 8100 but will need to replace my rear hub to accommodate it. Which for a decent hub is at least $300.
Fml
So as of now I ordered the replacement e*thirteen cogs, not ideal but I’m not a big Sram fan so... also looked at TRW cassettes but they don’t have an XD compatible 11 spd cassette.

Shimano is being a little b about the microspline driver standard. Rather irritating.

I would blame ethirteen before Shimano. Ethirteen is specing microspline on OEM builds, just are not selling them aftermarket to keep you on their cassettes.

Posted: Jul 15, 2019 at 20:45 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
ytjodave wrote:
gramboh wrote:

Sean (e13 Support)

Hi Joe,

Cheers,
--
Sean Duckworth
The Hive
Petaluma, CA 94954

Fml

I would blame ethirteen before Shimano. Ethirteen is specing microspline on OEM builds, just are not selling them aftermarket to keep you on their cassettes.

I do but I also blame Shimano for their licensing requirements instead of making the microspline driver available for everyone to mfg.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011297
Mobile Version of Website