Jeffsy 29er Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 29er Thread
Author Message
Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 12:43 Quote
I too run a (GX) 12-speed chain on the e*thirteen cassette. Works perfectly.

Posted: Sep 24, 2019 at 18:40 Quote
tallpaul-s wrote:
My new CF Pro Race has had the cassette, mech and shifter stripped off with barely a rotation on them. I have a nice X01 eagle cassette, GX shifter and mech on its way to me.

I needed the extra low range tbh, the gearing at 32/46 was the same as on my previous 27.5 bike but with the 29 wheels it was just too high, the 32/50 will end up being slightly lower gearing than my old bike.

You’ll certainly enjoy your new $$ set-up(send me your t/o parts) but to consider the ratios... The 32/46 ratio is .70 while the 32/50 is .64. A 30t chainring/9-46 ratio is .65 low with a 3.33 high ratio vs. 3.2 high for 32/10-50 because the 9-46 cassette has a wider gear range than the 10-50. Even better, a 28t gives the 9-46 a .61 low ratio and 3.11 high ratio. Just sayin that for those of us who bought the AL for a reason, changing chainring is the po-mans’s approach to lower gearing...d;o)

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 6:35 Quote
serveace wrote:
tgent wrote:
ytjodave wrote:


Mine used to drop the chain while backpedaling also, before I swapped drivetrains. I fixed it with a 12 speed chain, no issues after that.

I assume you upgraded the whole thing to 12 speed and that you aren't running a 12 spd chain on the 11spd cassette? On my bike I have X01 Eagle and don't have any issues with backpedaling (though I've read some have), but that's a big upgrade over the E13/XT 11 Spd... If it gets annoying I have an 11 spd GX cassette laying around and I could throw that on, but would also have to downsize the chainring.



He probably means 12sp chain on 11sp cassette. I've read a few different places that helps fix the chain dropping while backpedalling w/ the e13 cassette. I'm gonna try it and see if it makes a difference for me. I'm not a big fan of the e13 cassette. It's meh. I'll live with it for a while and probably eventually switch to eagle or xt 12 speed.


I ride the 12 speed XTR chain on the e13 cassette. It's not a perfect solution but it solved my backpedaling problem. (With the narrower chain it is sometimes slower to shift to larger sprockets. I think it takes it longer to interface with the ramps.)

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 9:21 Quote
ovanbeusekom wrote:
ytjodave wrote:
ovanbeusekom wrote:
Hi, hope you can help me out.

Just received my Jeffsy CF Comp and noticed immediately that there is a big difference in wheel clearance at the chainstay. The difference between drive and non-drive is 8mm. The wheel is straight and dishing is okay. Is this normal for Jeffsy frames?

Thanks a lot!

Mine was perfectly centered in the rear triangle.
May want to check axle placement ( not that it’d be easy to screw that up ) check frame to rim in identical spots on either chainstay and compare, not the tire. If it’s jacked, contact YT and maybe e*thirteen. Both have great customer svc in my experience.
Good luck mate.

Do you have a CF Comp 2019? YT answered and said the difference between drive and non drive is by design. I am a bit sceptic because their advise is to tension the spokes on the non drive side to create extra space.....

Talked to YT and they told me they do not disclose information about maximum tolerances regarding clearance at wheel-chainstay. Anybody willing to share their chainstay clearance measurements? Would really help me because I am on the brink of sending the bike retour.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 10:53 Quote
serveace wrote:
tgent wrote:
ytjodave wrote:


Mine used to drop the chain while backpedaling also, before I swapped drivetrains. I fixed it with a 12 speed chain, no issues after that.

I assume you upgraded the whole thing to 12 speed and that you aren't running a 12 spd chain on the 11spd cassette? On my bike I have X01 Eagle and don't have any issues with backpedaling (though I've read some have), but that's a big upgrade over the E13/XT 11 Spd... If it gets annoying I have an 11 spd GX cassette laying around and I could throw that on, but would also have to downsize the chainring.



He probably means 12sp chain on 11sp cassette. I've read a few different places that helps fix the chain dropping while backpedalling w/ the e13 cassette. I'm gonna try it and see if it makes a difference for me. I'm not a big fan of the e13 cassette. It's meh. I'll live with it for a while and probably eventually switch to eagle or xt 12 speed.

On the contrary I love the e13 cassette. Except its price... it is light and simple, never had a pb backpedaling.

Using a 28x46, doing tons of long and technical climbings, the more I get old, the more I love technical climbings. It requires a lots of skills and power w/o the risk of high speeds! And sometimes dreaming of a 26x46, generally after 3000m+. Last step before emtb? (no way!)

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 11:44 Quote
fautquecaswing wrote:
serveace wrote:
tgent wrote:


I assume you upgraded the whole thing to 12 speed and that you aren't running a 12 spd chain on the 11spd cassette? On my bike I have X01 Eagle and don't have any issues with backpedaling (though I've read some have), but that's a big upgrade over the E13/XT 11 Spd... If it gets annoying I have an 11 spd GX cassette laying around and I could throw that on, but would also have to downsize the chainring.



He probably means 12sp chain on 11sp cassette. I've read a few different places that helps fix the chain dropping while backpedalling w/ the e13 cassette. I'm gonna try it and see if it makes a difference for me. I'm not a big fan of the e13 cassette. It's meh. I'll live with it for a while and probably eventually switch to eagle or xt 12 speed.

On the contrary I love the e13 cassette. Except its price... it is light and simple, never had a pb backpedaling.

Using a 28x46, doing tons of long and technical climbings, the more I get old, the more I love technical climbings. It requires a lots of skills and power w/o the risk of high speeds! And sometimes dreaming of a 26x46, generally after 3000m+. Last step before emtb? (no way!)

Having both is the way to go Wink

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 12:12 Quote
fautquecaswing wrote:
On the contrary I love the e13 cassette. Except its price... it is light and simple, never had a pb backpedaling.

Using a 28x46, doing tons of long and technical climbings, the more I get old, the more I love technical climbings. It requires a lots of skills and power w/o the risk of high speeds! And sometimes dreaming of a 26x46, generally after 3000m+. Last step before emtb? (no way!)
Try a 26t oval... feels like a 28t in the power zone then like a 24t in the mid-stroke

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 12:35 Quote
Heist30 wrote:
fautquecaswing wrote:
On the contrary I love the e13 cassette. Except its price... it is light and simple, never had a pb backpedaling.

Using a 28x46, doing tons of long and technical climbings, the more I get old, the more I love technical climbings. It requires a lots of skills and power w/o the risk of high speeds! And sometimes dreaming of a 26x46, generally after 3000m+. Last step before emtb? (no way!)
Try a 26t oval... feels like a 28t in the power zone then like a 24t in the mid-stroke

I ran a 26t oval with my ethirteen cassette and it was fine. Lose a little top end on road descents but that’s it. Since I moved to m8100 I am up to a 30t which is pretty similar to the 26t-46t cog combo.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Heist30 wrote:
fautquecaswing wrote:
On the contrary I love the e13 cassette. Except its price... it is light and simple, never had a pb backpedaling.

Using a 28x46, doing tons of long and technical climbings, the more I get old, the more I love technical climbings. It requires a lots of skills and power w/o the risk of high speeds! And sometimes dreaming of a 26x46, generally after 3000m+. Last step before emtb? (no way!)
Try a 26t oval... feels like a 28t in the power zone then like a 24t in the mid-stroke

I ran a 26t oval with my ethirteen cassette and it was fine. Lose a little top end on road descents but that’s it. Since I moved to m8100 I am up to a 30t which is pretty similar to the 26t-46t cog combo.

Ahah so 26x46 is in fact not that a crazy option.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 15:19 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
I ran a 26t oval with my ethirteen cassette and it was fine. Lose a little top end on road descents but that’s it. Since I moved to m8100 I am up to a 30t which is pretty similar to the 26t-46t cog combo.

Bran, did ya ever try clocking the oval forward or backward? If so, what did ya find out?

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 15:26 Quote
Heist30 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
I ran a 26t oval with my ethirteen cassette and it was fine. Lose a little top end on road descents but that’s it. Since I moved to m8100 I am up to a 30t which is pretty similar to the 26t-46t cog combo.

Bran, did ya ever try clocking the oval forward or backward? If so, what did ya find out?

Never tried, I left that up to the people who created it that hopefully are smarter than me. I run the Absolute Black ovals.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 15:42 Quote
Me too, AB says “If you wish to try more aggressive setup, rotate the chainring from main position clockwise by one notch on the splines.” so I’ll give it a go...

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 15:44 Quote
Heist30 wrote:
Me too, AB says “If you wish to try more aggressive setup, rotate the chainring from main position clockwise by one notch on the splines.” so I’ll give it a go...

Interesting, will have to try it next time I take the cranks off.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 21:07 Quote
ovanbeusekom wrote:
ytjodave wrote:
ovanbeusekom wrote:
Hi, hope you can help me out.

Just received my Jeffsy CF Comp and noticed immediately that there is a big difference in wheel clearance at the chainstay. The difference between drive and non-drive is 8mm. The wheel is straight and dishing is okay. Is this normal for Jeffsy frames?

Thanks a lot!

Mine was perfectly centered in the rear triangle.
May want to check axle placement ( not that it’d be easy to screw that up ) check frame to rim in identical spots on either chainstay and compare, not the tire. If it’s jacked, contact YT and maybe e*thirteen. Both have great customer svc in my experience.
Good luck mate.

Do you have a CF Comp 2019? YT answered and said the difference between drive and non drive is by design. I am a bit sceptic because their advise is to tension the spokes on the non drive side to create extra space.....

FYI, I tore my bike apart and put it back together this week. Dished and trued the wheels to make sure they're centered and out of curiosity checked the clearance after I put everything back together. Sure enough there is less clearance on the drive-side chainstay. I measured with calipers and it's ~6mm difference with the chain slap protector in place. Looks like they had to do it to get the ring to clear and ensure proper chainline. There's still plenty clearance for the tire on both sides. I did have more rub on the chainstay side protective film before so I guess that explains it. I guess you could mess with the wheel dish to pull the tire over a few mm, but will that affect the rim? I honestly don't know.

I have a 2019 cf pro race 29.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 at 23:27 Quote
Thanks for checking!


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.012034
Mobile Version of Website