Jeffsy 27.5 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 27.5 Thread
Author Message
Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 6:34 Quote
gramboh wrote:
For those run Fox DPX2 230x60/65mm on their Jeffsy 27.5 - how much do you weigh and what settings are you using? I'm coming from a DVO Topaz T3 on my 2017 Jeffsy and the DPX2 is a bit harsh with my initial settings: Riding weight 215ish lbs, 250psi 30% sag, LSC 5 out, Rebound 5 out, stock 0.2 spacer (according to Fox website, need to physically verify it's in there).

Might try the 0.4 spacer and lower PSI. Was also reading that the rebound valving is tight on these.. I'm used to running rebound pretty closed off but will try opening it up a few clicks to 6 or 7 and see how that feels.

I do still have my Topaz but need to get different mounting hardware if I want to try it on the new bike back to back... would be a fun experiment to run.

Do you bottom out regularly? If not, I would advise you to remove the stock 0.2 spacer AND reduce 1-2 psi.
Setting your rebound faster will also help.
By installing a bigger volume spacer you will get the opposite result from what you are after. Perhaps it will feel a bit softer in the parking lot but if fast rocky terain the shock will become a lot stiffer. What you need is more linear curve.
Try and let us know ;-)

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 11:48 Quote
TreyCox wrote:
Does anyone happen to know the leverage ratio for the 2019 Jeffsy? Also thinking of a fox DHX2 for the Jeffsy. Any better coils out there? MRP? Ohlins? Rockshox?
Thanks.

Wheel travel/stroke = leverage ratio

For the 2019 YT Jeffsy 27.5 that's 150/60 = 2.5.

As for coils, check out the DVO Jade. I know I know it doesn't have a climb switch but I have been running one for a few months and guess what, you dont need a climb switch! That coil is seriously impressive and sooooo affordable.

Posted: Jul 16, 2019 at 14:26 Quote
gapos999 wrote:
gramboh wrote:
For those run Fox DPX2 230x60/65mm on their Jeffsy 27.5 - how much do you weigh and what settings are you using? I'm coming from a DVO Topaz T3 on my 2017 Jeffsy and the DPX2 is a bit harsh with my initial settings: Riding weight 215ish lbs, 250psi 30% sag, LSC 5 out, Rebound 5 out, stock 0.2 spacer (according to Fox website, need to physically verify it's in there).

Might try the 0.4 spacer and lower PSI. Was also reading that the rebound valving is tight on these.. I'm used to running rebound pretty closed off but will try opening it up a few clicks to 6 or 7 and see how that feels.

I do still have my Topaz but need to get different mounting hardware if I want to try it on the new bike back to back... would be a fun experiment to run.

Do you bottom out regularly? If not, I would advise you to remove the stock 0.2 spacer AND reduce 1-2 psi.
Setting your rebound faster will also help.
By installing a bigger volume spacer you will get the opposite result from what you are after. Perhaps it will feel a bit softer in the parking lot but if fast rocky terain the shock will become a lot stiffer. What you need is more linear curve.
Try and let us know ;-)

Thanks (and thanks ShortJeffsyOwner for your settings).

Only a couple rides on the DPX2 but yes I am bottoming it out more often than I feel I should. Not harsh bottom outs, but I am pushing the o-ring to the end of the shock stroke on moderate drops/trail features where I would have some room left on my previous 230x65 Topaz. I don't really feel like I can go up much in pressure from 250psi without harshness on small bump but maybe I need to pull back LSC a bit and/or speed up rebound a click if it's packing up (hard for me to know if that is what I am feeling). All good ideas though and I will give it a shot and report back!

The travel use was my logic for trying a 0.4 spacer (which is the largest you can use in a 230x65 size DPX2). As I said I still have my 230x65 Topaz but it has mounting hardware for the old Jeffsy so I can't try it in the new bike. Might get that swapped over next time the bike is in the shop so I can run them back to back on the same trail and feel the difference as I had the Topaz pretty dialed on the old Jeffsy.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 0:28 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
TreyCox wrote:
Does anyone happen to know the leverage ratio for the 2019 Jeffsy? Also thinking of a fox DHX2 for the Jeffsy. Any better coils out there? MRP? Ohlins? Rockshox?
Thanks.

Wheel travel/stroke = leverage ratio

For the 2019 YT Jeffsy 27.5 that's 150/60 = 2.5.

This is average leverage ratio. The leverage ratio is rather a curve than a number (don't read it in a smartass voice please Smile ).

On Jeffsy 27 Mk1 (160mm) it goes from a bit above 3.2 down to almost 2. At 30% sag point it's 2.7 so it's falling hard at the beginning.
The Mk2 a tiny bit less progressive it ends at 2.1, so its basically the same.

The anti-squat got better but you pay with more pedal kickback for it.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 7:22 Quote
zapat wrote:
provin1327 wrote:
TreyCox wrote:
Does anyone happen to know the leverage ratio for the 2019 Jeffsy? Also thinking of a fox DHX2 for the Jeffsy. Any better coils out there? MRP? Ohlins? Rockshox?
Thanks.

Wheel travel/stroke = leverage ratio

For the 2019 YT Jeffsy 27.5 that's 150/60 = 2.5.

This is average leverage ratio. The leverage ratio is rather a curve than a number (don't read it in a smartass voice please Smile ).

On Jeffsy 27 Mk1 (160mm) it goes from a bit above 3.2 down to almost 2. At 30% sag point it's 2.7 so it's falling hard at the beginning.
The Mk2 a tiny bit less progressive it ends at 2.1, so its basically the same.

The anti-squat got better but you pay with more pedal kickback for it.

True but I don't think anyone has put a graph out on the MK2 yet so average ratio is as good as you can get.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 10:04 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
True but I don't think anyone has put a graph out on the MK2 yet so average ratio is as good as you can get.

Oooor, buy the software everyone uses for 25 bucks fo life https://www.bikechecker.com
Pretty useful if you are into this kind of stuff: you can select the pivots on an image to get a quite close approximate.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
zapat wrote:
provin1327 wrote:
True but I don't think anyone has put a graph out on the MK2 yet so average ratio is as good as you can get.

Oooor, buy the software everyone uses for 25 bucks fo life https://www.bikechecker.com
Pretty useful if you are into this kind of stuff: you can select the pivots on an image to get a quite close approximate.

Awesome, had no idea anything like that even exited!

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 16:42 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
zapat wrote:
provin1327 wrote:


Wheel travel/stroke = leverage ratio

For the 2019 YT Jeffsy 27.5 that's 150/60 = 2.5.

This is average leverage ratio. The leverage ratio is rather a curve than a number (don't read it in a smartass voice please Smile ).

On Jeffsy 27 Mk1 (160mm) it goes from a bit above 3.2 down to almost 2. At 30% sag point it's 2.7 so it's falling hard at the beginning.
The Mk2 a tiny bit less progressive it ends at 2.1, so its basically the same.

The anti-squat got better but you pay with more pedal kickback for it.

True but I don't think anyone has put a graph out on the MK2 yet so average ratio is as good as you can get.

Thanks for the information. OK Im trying to decide between the fox DHX2 and the Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate. The Rockshox has been tuned specifically for the 2019 Jeffsy. So that's peaked my interest a bit, just wondering how that tune will change performance. What do you guys think what one would you go with out of those two?

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 23:10 Quote
With all the this talk about the new SB165 and its coil tuned progressivity of 27.5%, it got me wondering how much progressivity the old and new version of the jeffsy have to result in such good coil compatibility.
I couldn't find anything on it with a quick search..

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 23:17 Quote
ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:
With all the this talk about the new SB165 and its coil tuned progressivity of 27.5%, it got me wondering how much progressivity the old and new version of the jeffsy have to result in such good coil compatibility.
I couldn't find anything on it with a quick search..

49% for the MK1 Jeffsy and I can't find anything about the MK2.
https://youtu.be/J1OrxmEQK4g
This is a Suspension analyses vid. you can watch the whole thing or skip to 2:40.

Posted: Jul 17, 2019 at 23:42 Quote
TreyCox wrote:
ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:
With all the this talk about the new SB165 and its coil tuned progressivity of 27.5%, it got me wondering how much progressivity the old and new version of the jeffsy have to result in such good coil compatibility.
I couldn't find anything on it with a quick search..

49% for the MK1 Jeffsy and I can't find anything about the MK2.
https://youtu.be/J1OrxmEQK4g
This is a Suspension analyses vid. you can watch the whole thing or skip to 2:40.

Wow that much?! No wonder everyone loves coil shocks on this bike.
Thanks for that, I'll study the video later..
Is the suspension setup the same for the 29 and 27 versions?

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 0:40 Quote
ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:
TreyCox wrote:
ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:
With all the this talk about the new SB165 and its coil tuned progressivity of 27.5%, it got me wondering how much progressivity the old and new version of the jeffsy have to result in such good coil compatibility.
I couldn't find anything on it with a quick search..

49% for the MK1 Jeffsy and I can't find anything about the MK2.
https://youtu.be/J1OrxmEQK4g
This is a Suspension analyses vid. you can watch the whole thing or skip to 2:40.

Wow that much?! No wonder everyone loves coil shocks on this bike.
Thanks for that, I'll study the video later..
Is the suspension setup the same for the 29 and 27 versions?

And that's why evrerybody hates airshock that much, especially heavier guys...

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 6:53 Quote
TreyCox wrote:
Thanks for the information. OK Im trying to decide between the fox DHX2 and the Rockshox Super Deluxe Coil Ultimate. The Rockshox has been tuned specifically for the 2019 Jeffsy. So that's peaked my interest a bit, just wondering how that tune will change performance. What do you guys think what one would you go with out of those two?

(DH)X2 doesn't really need a tune as all 4 variables have a knob. What Jeffsy needs is the linearity of either a coil, or a huge aircan.

ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:
With all the this talk about the new SB165 and its coil tuned progressivity of 27.5%, it got me wondering how much progressivity the old and new version of the jeffsy have to result in such good coil compatibility.
I couldn't find anything on it with a quick search..

TreyCox wrote:
49% for the MK1 Jeffsy and I can't find anything about the MK2.
You guys have the answer 2 comments ago.27 Mk1 goes from around 3.2 to 2ish, Mk2 from 3.2 to 2.1ish. (btw its not 49%)
I say ish because I imported the pivots from an image which is not 100% precise but around +-0.1

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 7:02 Quote
hey all,
Looking for tech advice and guidance on what your thoughts are on swapping in a 29er fork to replace the 27.5. Long story short, found a deal on a fox 36 29er that I'm considering replacing my xfusion sweep 160mm with.

I've demo'd a transition patrol and really liked the slackness and understand that I may experience sight difficulties when climbing and low speed tech sections, charging downhill will be a blast.

So anyways, here are the numbers I was able to crunch online:

As you can see, the HT angle will drop about three-quarters of a degree to 65.28, still not as slack as Transitions 64, but what concerns me most is the seat angle impacting the reach negatively - however, 3.1mm of reach is negligible at most.

The only variable I was not able to account for is the offset. Fox 36 has a 51 offset versus XFusions 46.

So yeah, any advice and thoughts welcome.

Thanks!

Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 11:10 Quote
zapat wrote:

(DH)X2 doesn't really need a tune as all 4 variables have a knob. What Jeffsy needs is the linearity of either a coil, or a huge aircan.

For this reason I’m preparing to replace the DPS with a McLeod & King Can.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010896
Mobile Version of Website