Jeffsy 27.5 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 27.5 Thread
Posted: Jul 18, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
brianwon wrote:
hey all,
Looking for tech advice and guidance on what your thoughts are on swapping in a 29er fork to replace the 27.5. Long story short, found a deal on a fox 36 29er that I'm considering replacing my xfusion sweep 160mm with.

I've demo'd a transition patrol and really liked the slackness and understand that I may experience sight difficulties when climbing and low speed tech sections, charging downhill will be a blast.

So anyways, here are the numbers I was able to crunch online:

As you can see, the HT angle will drop about three-quarters of a degree to 65.28, still not as slack as Transitions 64, but what concerns me most is the seat angle impacting the reach negatively - however, 3.1mm of reach is negligible at most.

The only variable I was not able to account for is the offset. Fox 36 has a 51 offset versus XFusions 46.

So yeah, any advice and thoughts welcome.

Thanks!

The problem with doing this is handlebar height, frame stack isn't showing it, but when you combine the longer fork height (axle to crown) and the higher axle height of your front wheel, your bars are going to be something like 20-30mm higher? That's a huge difference in rider position. You can combat this with flat/zero rise bars, ensuring your stem is slammed on the steer tube etc. This issue is why 29er bikes have shorter head tubes than 27.5. It's also why bikes that are sold as both 27.5/29 compatible (Scott Genius, GT Fury etc) usually include separate headset cups to deal with bar height/stack and then use BB/shock mount chips to handle the BB height change.

Posted: Jul 22, 2019 at 1:18 Quote
On this subject, what would be the result of using a reduced offset 27.5 fork at 160mm? Would you gain any stability or maneuverability over a normal offset fork?

Posted: Jul 23, 2019 at 6:32 Quote
ShortJeffsyOwner wrote:
On this subject, what would be the result of using a reduced offset 27.5 fork at 160mm? Would you gain any stability or maneuverability over a normal offset fork?
Less maneuvrability especially on slow turns where more handlebar steering input needed, more stability at speed, less prone to pinballing in ruts and roots. Every one experience it at different degree

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 1:52 Quote
Well it might have cost me £52 for 2 little bits of metal and a few bits of plastic (The bike industry really takes the piss sometimes) but the new DVO shock is finally mounted and looking sexy. I just need to get time to go ride it now and get it dialled in. Any rough settings are welcome......I'm about 86kg in gear and i have started with 200 psi in the main chamber 180 psi in the bladder and 4 clicks of rebound with no volume reducers.

I went with the 230 x 65 so currently im running 160mm travel out back and 150 up front until my new 160mm debonair air spring arrives. Annoyingly I only just did a lower leg service last weekend lol.

Posted: Jul 24, 2019 at 5:24 Quote
You will not be dissapointed, good choice Wink

I will comment on settings later, I'm at work for now :-p

Posted: Jul 27, 2019 at 13:35 Quote
Pulled my Raceface bottom bracket and installed enduro bearings sourced from wheels manufacturing along with some of there tools. Very good quality stuff.
I had one side that was nasty, had some gunk and water getting in there and took it out. Odd other side looked ok so maybe a seal or spacer issue.

I almost went with BB infinite, but at the price I can run 2 sets of enduro bearings. Time will tell if I made the right call.

Posted: Jul 27, 2019 at 23:33 Quote
Speaking of DVO Topaz, I'm glad I still have mine because the Fox DPX2 Factory on my new 2019 Jeffsy 27 CF Pro Race is kinda a piece of crap so far. Super harsh feeling over small bumps yet I am using roughly 90% travel on trail riding (no big jumps/drops). Small bump reminds me of the Rock Shox Deluxe RT3 I had on my 2017 CF One. Even riding down stairs feels bad on the DPX2.

Anyone have guidelines on how to setup the DPX2 for the Jeffsy? Current setup:

Riding weight: 215lbs
PSI: 245-250psi - roughly 30% sag
Spacers: 0.2 stock spacer (pretty sure, haven't opened it to check yet, Fox website states this based on 4 letter code)
Rebound: 5-6 from closed (on 6 now)
LSC: 5-6 from closed (on 6 now)

I'm going to order mounting hardware for my 230x65 Topaz so I can run it back to back against the DPX2, but my 2017 Jeffsy rear end felt waaaay better than this thing.

Fox 36 GRIP2 on the other hand is freaking awesome. Big upgrade from the 2017 Pike + Luftkappe in terms of mid-stroke support, overall stiffness and just confidence inspiring feeling. The 36 feels like it's part way from my old Pike to the Fox 40 Factory RC2 I had on a DH bike.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 4:21 Quote
Kyushu Shred

Shredding with the Jeffsy

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 10:07 Quote
I just the plunge with a coil shock. Debated the Ohlins for a while but in the end went for Cane Creek as I don’t think I’m good enough to benefit from the slightly better damping (for a lot more money!)

Wow!

Wish I’d done it from the off. Obviously the bike is better on the downs but it’s also much better on the climbs (noticeably more grip) and on the flats- loading the bike in berms etc really ‘pings’ you out. Great fun!

Haven’t noticed the weight increase at all, and haven’t used the climb switch.

Posted: Jul 28, 2019 at 12:18 Quote
RicB909 wrote:
I just the plunge with a coil shock. Debated the Ohlins for a while but in the end went for Cane Creek as I don’t think I’m good enough to benefit from the slightly better damping (for a lot more money!)

Wow!

Wish I’d done it from the off. Obviously the bike is better on the downs but it’s also much better on the climbs (noticeably more grip) and on the flats- loading the bike in berms etc really ‘pings’ you out. Great fun!

What do you weigh and what coil did you go with?

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 3:52 Quote
68kg with kit. 400lb spring, with a tiny bit of preload (half a turn)

Posted: Jul 29, 2019 at 7:50 Quote
RicB909 wrote:

Wow!

I had the exact same realization when I switched to a coil. Makes you realize how crappy the stock Rockshox Deluxe is.

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
Any insight on what size coil I would want with a DVO Jade on the Jeffsy? I weigh about 190lbs and ride fairly aggressively. Would be 230x60 shock. I notice that DVO also have different thicknesses for coils too so just adds another thing in a bit unsure about.

Thanks!!

Posted: Aug 1, 2019 at 10:01 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
Any insight on what size coil I would want with a DVO Jade on the Jeffsy? I weigh about 190lbs and ride fairly aggressively. Would be 230x60 shock. I notice that DVO also have different thicknesses for coils too so just adds another thing in a bit unsure about.

Thanks!!

Use this calculator or call DVO

https://www.ridefox.com/fox_tech_center/owners_manuals/08/WCeng/Content/mtbspringratecalculator.html

Posted: Aug 7, 2019 at 0:14 Quote
So I was doing some maintenance on my 2017 AL One Jeffsy yesterday (drivetrain strip down and clean, BB clean, lower leg service) and when doing the lower leg service I noticed that the lower headset bearing does not move at all. By move I mean spin around like a bearing should do.

I'm guessing that means it's definitely time to get them replaced. I've had it in there since getting the bike at the end of 2017 so it's had a good run, and amazingly when I checked the BB those bearings are still in perfect condition!

So a couple of questions - I need a new headset, which one should I get that's not too expensive for the model and year of my bike? The headset that's in there at the moment is an ACROS AZX-203 (ZS44:28.6 / ZS56:40).

And second question - how do I actually take the old bearings out and fit the new bearings? I haven't had to do it before and they're very securely fitted into the frame itself.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014092
Mobile Version of Website