Jeffsy 27.5 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 27.5 Thread
Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 9:49 Quote
Looking at upgrading the rear shock to a coil on my 275 jeffsy 2018 as the deluxe has been kinda lackluster so far. Current front runner for me is the DVO Jade 230x65 as it is a bit cheaper then the fox/rockshox/cane creek/dub options. Can't find much information on comparisons that justify spending the extra $2-300.

Is there any upsides to spending the extra money for the other coil options or is the DVO just that good at that price point

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:28 Quote
Eto wrote:
Looking at upgrading the rear shock to a coil on my 275 jeffsy 2018 as the deluxe has been kinda lackluster so far. Current front runner for me is the DVO Jade 230x65 as it is a bit cheaper then the fox/rockshox/cane creek/dub options. Can't find much information on comparisons that justify spending the extra $2-300.

Is there any upsides to spending the extra money for the other coil options or is the DVO just that good at that price point

No climb switch on the current jade if you care to have one.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 10:52 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
Eto wrote:

No climb switch on the current jade if you care to have one.

Not to concerned about a climb switch it's nice to to have but most of the time I forget to use it on the deluxe shock anyways.

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 11:02 Quote
Eto wrote:

I was in the same situation, went for the topaz and I love it. I can only recommend DVO stuff. Then coil or air, I guess you know what you want

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 11:27 Quote
Eto wrote:

I installed a DVO Jade on my Jeffsy a few months ago and I absolutely love it. I was in the same boat as you, trying to find a reason (besides the climb switch) to spend 2x more on a coil from Fox or Cane Creek. To be honest the low speed compression damping on the Jade combined with the suspension platform of the Jeffsy does not require a climb switch. I get no pedal bob and absolutely amazing traction on technical climbs and fast descents. Granted I have not run any other coil shock from any other brand. I only have experience with the Jade and it's amazing. It has exceeded my expectaions in every way and all of the negatives that are supposed to come with a coil (increased weight, less pop, pedal bob with no climb switch) are just no true. I experience none of those (actually have more pop and SO MUCH MORE traction than with the stock RS deluxe shock). I have some more information about it in this thread here

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=213839

Posted: Aug 22, 2019 at 14:38 Quote
Eto wrote:

CC DB CS + CC Valt spring (79) = 834
DVO Jade + DVO LS spring (132) = 662

Based off prices on JensonUSA where the CC shock is currently 15% off and the Valt spring is 54% off. So really, the difference is only $172 if you wanted to keep the same brand spring as shock... but that doesn’t really matter cause you can get the Valt spring and Jade shock and save money there if you’re set on getting the DVO shock.

I personally went with the Cane Creek shock. The climbing switch is nice and it definitely reduces bobbing making climbing less painful. The reason I went with the Jeffsy over the Capra was because of its ability to climb and I’d hate to hinder it. It’s got both high and low speed rebound where the Jade only has high speed rebound, I believe. The Jade also has an air bladder though, I’m not exactly too sure how it works but to me it just seems like another thing that could potentially fail.

On a side note, you’ll want a 2.75” coil for your 230x65 shock. Not sure if it’s the same for the Jade but I imagine it is.

Edit: on another side note, if you buy the shock off Canecreek now until the end of August you get a free suspension service valued at 245CAD. Just another way to save money. Better than the $145 you’ll save off Jenson, in the long run. Wish I had gone that route!

The CC DB also looks cooler, but I’ll let you decide.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 3:52 Quote
Does anybody has a number ready for the maximum allowed insertion depths for dropper posts in the AL Jeffsy 27, size M (2018 in my case, but doesn't matter)? I basically have my e23 dropper around totally slammed in which is a height of around 225mm from the frame. The optimization geek in me is wondering which 150+ droppers may match well.

Posted: Aug 24, 2019 at 14:09 Quote
edeltoaster wrote:
Does anybody has a number ready for the maximum allowed insertion depths for dropper posts in the AL Jeffsy 27, size M (2018 in my case, but doesn't matter)? I basically have my e23 dropper around totally slammed in which is a height of around 225mm from the frame. The optimization geek in me is wondering which 150+ droppers may match well.

I have the oneup v1 170 slammed and it fits me like a glove, while with the e13 I couldn't really use at full extention.
Edit: I'm on a Medium AL frame and my inseam is 30

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 12:58 Quote
Anyone running 150mm rear/160mm front on their 2018- Jeffsy? Just wondering what affect it would have on the geometry of the bike instead of going 160/160 like the Pro Race model.

Thanks!

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 13:08 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
Anyone running 150mm rear/160mm front on their 2018- Jeffsy? Just wondering what affect it would have on the geometry of the bike instead of going 160/160 like the Pro Race model.

Thanks!

I did for some time, after changing the pike air spring to the debonair 160 mm, and before switching to the Topaz for 160 mm in the rear.

Actually, the rear doesn't change much to the geometry. Only the fork matters. You get the pro race geo by increasing the front to 160. On the rear, the 5 mm of travel of the shock between 150 and 160 mm are gained on top of the shock travel, and not on the bottom. And you can play with the flip chip, the sag, and volume spacers in the shock to get precisely what you are looking for on the rear. It's easily adjustable to your liking.
So expect a slightly higher front wheel / handlebars, slightly slacker geo (0.5 degree), nothing crazy, but definitely for the best.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 13:13 Quote
TibZ wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:

Thanks!

I did for some time, after changing the pike air spring to the debonair 160 mm, and before switching to the Topaz for 160 mm in the rear.

Actually, the rear doesn't change much to the geometry. Only the fork matters. You get the pro race geo by increasing the front to 160. On the rear, the 5 mm of travel of the shock between 150 and 160 mm are gained on top of the shock travel, and not on the bottom. And you can play with the flip chip, the sag, and volume spacers in the shock to get precisely what you are lookong for on the rear.
So expect a slighlty higher front wheel / handlebars, but nothing crazy, and definitely for the best.

Thanks for the reply. Did you find a significant difference in the way the bike handled while descending with the 160 on the front? The bike feels a bit sketchy going down steep stuff and drops, hoping the slacker head angle (only a half degree, though) and higher stack height/BB would improve the feeling down this terrain but I’m not exactly convinced it would make a significant difference but I’d love to be convinced otherwise

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 13:34 Quote
Another thing I noticed with the Pro Race geometry is that the what I find already short reach is shortened 5mm as well. Half a cm sounds pretty difficult to notice, though. wondering if anyone has any say on this, as well.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 13:46 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
TibZ wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:

Thanks!

Actually, the rear doesn't change much to the geometry. Only the fork matters. You get the pro race geo by increasing the front to 160. On the rear, the 5 mm of travel of the shock between 150 and 160 mm are gained on top of the shock travel, and not on the bottom. And you can play with the flip chip, the sag, and volume spacers in the shock to get precisely what you are lookong for on the rear.
So expect a slighlty higher front wheel / handlebars, but nothing crazy, and definitely for the best.

Thanks for the reply. Did you find a significant difference in the way the bike handled while descending with the 160 on the front? The bike feels a bit sketchy going down steep stuff and drops, hoping the slacker head angle (only a half degree, though) and higher stack height/BB would improve the feeling down this terrain but I’m not exactly convinced it would make a significant difference but I’d love to be convinced otherwise

I don't know if it qualifies as significant, but I prefer it this way (slacker, but also with 1cm higher handlebars, as at stock configuration those felt placed too low for my liking).

I must maybe mention that I'm using this Jeffsy for everything, from trails to bike park, and mainly enduro-like rides. I do no spare it. In a less demanding scenario it might not be that important or useful.

Posted: Aug 26, 2019 at 14:01 Quote
TibZ wrote:
I don't know if it qualifies as significant, but I prefer it this way (slacker, but also with 1cm higher handlebars, as at stock configuration those felt placed too low for my liking).

I must maybe mention that I'm using this Jeffsy for everything, from trails to bike park, and mainly enduro-like rides. I do no spare it. In a less demanding scenario it might not be that important or useful.

Thanks a ton for the input! Did you notice a difference in handling with the shorter reach? Do you prefer it over the longer reach the 150mm up front provided or did you not even notice it?

Again thanks for answering these!

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011529
Mobile Version of Website