Jeffsy 27.5 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 27.5 Thread
Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 8:38 Quote
escrowdog wrote:
Anybody demo a bike they really love or might be their next bike?

Currently riding a 2018 AL, superdeluxe and MRP ribbon coil. I've had it since Sept 2018, upgraded the suspension over the winter, rides pretty good! This was my first bike since I broke my leg in 2005. I never demo'd anything other than riding a Stache around a parking lot and feeling like the jump from 26 to 29 was too much and ultimately bought the Jeffsy based on geometry. Anyway, I've sort of settled in this mode of longer rides, adventure rides, did the Epic Rides OZ 30 a few weeks ago. So wondering if I'm missing something out there from a pedaling platform. I do still like to go fast and ride the tech as well, but having had my big injury I probably won't be doing any drops more than 2' or so and not airing it way out. Bikes like the Tallboy and Ripley have drawn my attention, but hard to separate the brand hype from honest review.

Love my YT! But after a lot of riding over the last year (replaced a chain, e13 cassette half, grips, tires, etc.) I feel like I can better evaluate a bike demo.

There are so many different bikes out there you just need to find a few in your price range and with a brand that speaks to you and just go demo then. Technically speaking YT did radically change the geometry on their 2019 Jeffsy 29er so you may want to hop on one of those.

Posted: Oct 30, 2019 at 11:08 Quote
Agree with the aforementioned. There are so many GOOD bikes being produced these days, it's sometimes hard to choose just one.

The new Jeffsy is an improvement over the first version. And I believe the original Jeffsy is/was a fantastic bike. I think the Tallboy and Ripley are both excellent bikes in their class. Personally, I'd pick the Tallboy on the warranty alone.

I'd say - go with brands you prefer, warranties are extremely important, customer service/support and demo demo demo.

Posted: Nov 1, 2019 at 15:00 Quote
kwapik wrote:
Agree with the aforementioned. There are so many GOOD bikes being produced these days, it's sometimes hard to choose just one.

The new Jeffsy is an improvement over the first version. And I believe the original Jeffsy is/was a fantastic bike. I think the Tallboy and Ripley are both excellent bikes in their class. Personally, I'd pick the Tallboy on the warranty alone.

I'd say - go with brands you prefer, warranties are extremely important, customer service/support and demo demo demo.

Appreciate the input...especially on warranty! Something I honestly hadn't thought much about, probably because of what I hear about people trying to actually get something warranted. But certainly on a carbon bike warranty is huge!

And agree, I think hopping on a carbon 29 Jeffsy would certainly yield some additional climbing points. Buddy of mine lives in Temecula, also in the market for a new bike. Probably need to fly out for a visit and see the distro and see if we can demo there. That pro race has a LOT goodies the other bikes only dream of at $5100.

Posted: Nov 3, 2019 at 22:23 Quote
@escrowdog you can demo the bikes at the Mill. The website has an area for sign ups... and its free!

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 7:17 Quote
escrowdog wrote:

Currently riding a 2018 AL, superdeluxe and MRP ribbon coil. I've had it since Sept 2018, upgraded the suspension over the winter, rides pretty good! This was my first bike since I broke my leg in 2005. I never demo'd anything other than riding a Stache around a parking lot and feeling like the jump from 26 to 29 was too much and ultimately bought the Jeffsy based on geometry. Anyway, I've sort of settled in this mode of longer rides, adventure rides, did the Epic Rides OZ 30 a few weeks ago. So wondering if I'm missing something out there from a pedaling platform. I do still like to go fast and ride the tech as well, but having had my big injury I probably won't be doing any drops more than 2' or so and not airing it way out. Bikes like the Tallboy and Ripley have drawn my attention, but hard to separate the brand hype from honest review.

Love my YT! But after a lot of riding over the last year (replaced a chain, e13 cassette half, grips, tires, etc.) I feel like I can better evaluate a bike demo.

Had a jeffsy 27.5 carbon and really liked the bike but could never get it to feel just right because of the geometry and suspension. I demoed a Kona Process 153 and it had the fit, suspension, and feel I was looking for. Found a great deal on a 2019 carbon process 153 in 27.5 and have been riding it for about 4 months now. I have now broken all my climbing PR's that I set on the Jeffsy and all my enduro PR's as well. I kept trying to adapt the Jeffsy to my riding style but could never get it to work. You might demo the Kona and see what you think.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 12:01 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
escrowdog wrote:

Had a jeffsy 27.5 carbon and really liked the bike but could never get it to feel just right because of the geometry and suspension. I demoed a Kona Process 153 and it had the fit, suspension, and feel I was looking for. Found a great deal on a 2019 carbon process 153 in 27.5 and have been riding it for about 4 months now. I have now broken all my climbing PR's that I set on the Jeffsy and all my enduro PR's as well. I kept trying to adapt the Jeffsy to my riding style but could never get it to work. You might demo the Kona and see what you think.

I had exactly the same, came from a commencal meta to the Jeffsy, the spec of the Pro Race was what really attracted me and the geo didn’t look too far off. But like you I constantly tried to adapt the bike but have finally given in and sold it on.

My new commencal meta is on its way as we speak...

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 12:03 Quote
^^ two reasons why it's so important to demo any bike you're considering.

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 12:09 Quote
provin1327 wrote:
^^ two reasons why it's so important to demo any bike you're considering.

I did but told myself it was just setup issues haha. 100% agree though!

Posted: Nov 5, 2019 at 16:11 Quote
What was it that wasn’t feeling right about the Jeffsy? Just overall feel and couldn’t click with it?

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 10:13 Quote
Camstyn wrote:
What was it that wasn’t feeling right about the Jeffsy? Just overall feel and couldn’t click with it?

I think for me it was too much carbon maybe, frame, rims, cranks and bars means very little flex. So when things got rough I knew about it. On flowy trails it was awesome though!

Posted: Nov 6, 2019 at 17:52 Quote
Camstyn wrote:

For me the seat tube was to high, which limited my set-up, and the reach was not long enough. Climbed pretty good, but never felt right on the descents and did not corner that great. Tried a coil shock to soften up how progressive the frame is and that helped, but could never get right feel and ride I was hoping for. The Kona solved all that with a very short seat tube, very long reach, and short chainstays. I was really shocked at how much better the bike felt right from the start. Really wanted to love the Jeffsy and tried a lot of workarounds, but after doing a demo on the Kona, realized it just was not the right bike for me.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 at 14:15 Quote
Hey guys, I have a '19 Pro and am looking at upgrading the rear shock. I've read through the whole thread and it appears I ride differently than most Jeffsy riders. I bought the bike for Flow trails and I mostly just jump, but I keep bottoming out with the recommended sag. I'm not a Pedaler but most people judge shocks on pedaling and small bumps. So which air shock would work best for jumps and big hit drops? I'm considering the X2 or the dpx2. I do have a dedicated dirt jumper but wanted this bike as a quiver killer.

Posted: Nov 21, 2019 at 11:53 Quote
Ronstafario wrote:
Hey guys, I have a '19 Pro and am looking at upgrading the rear shock. I've read through the whole thread and it appears I ride differently than most Jeffsy riders. I bought the bike for Flow trails and I mostly just jump, but I keep bottoming out with the recommended sag. I'm not a Pedaler but most people judge shocks on pedaling and small bumps. So which air shock would work best for jumps and big hit drops? I'm considering the X2 or the dpx2. I do have a dedicated dirt jumper but wanted this bike as a quiver killer.

I have the 19 pro race and the DPX2 is for sure an upgrade over the DPS. But I also have a DHX2 Coil and its really nice. the traction is a huge step up from the DPX2. but I think the X2 is a happy medium. You will have more traction and small bump compliance than the DPX2 and it will feel more bottomless as well for bigger jumps and drops. Id get the X2 if I were you.

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 15:55 Quote
I have a brand new ‘19 CF pro. I’ve ridden only twice and right out of the box I couldn’t get the dropper post to pop back up from the down position. I would have to press the lever and pull the seat up. Once it is released from its lowest point then it will pop up on its own. I though it just needed to be broken in a little and ran through its action to loosen it up but it doesn’t seem to be getting better. Anyone else had this issue?

Posted: Nov 30, 2019 at 17:06 Quote
No, I haven't encountered any problems myself - while others have had trouble with their posts. Really been hit or miss it seems.

I'd suggest contacting e*13 and explain the issues. They'll help you out.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009858
Mobile Version of Website