Jeffsy 27.5 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 27.5 Thread
Posted: Mar 10, 2021 at 4:22 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Aphex- wrote:
Has anyone upgraded the wheels on their 2017 jeffsy? I feel like it's about time to do mine, still using the stock DT Swiss M1900 Spline. The 22.5 internal width is quite narrow, especially on my magic mary up front. Heard that a wheel upgrade can make a big difference. Was thinking of going for a 30mm internal width, any suggestions for trail/enduro wheelsets? Also has to be non boost up front, and boost at back. Looking for a fairly cheap alloy wheel as well.

I have DT swiss EX1700 on a 2018 jeffsy since 6 months or so. I love these wheels. 30 mm internal, 350 hub, 36t ratchet, EX511 rims. Super strong, beautiful and simple finish, easy to service, enough engagement without much pedal kickback.
Might be a bit expensive though, depending on what you consider «fairly cheap» (I got them for a bit less than 600€ the set), and not sure it comes in non-boost version... But you could build / have build for you similar wheels. In DT swiss range, EX471 rims are also a good option, slightly lighter, slighty less strong.

Thanks, this is helpful. I'll have a look into those DT swiss ones and see!

FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
What's your definition of cheap? Hope makes the Fortus 30 wheeler for 500 USD when it is laced to their Pro 4 hubs.

I'm thinking no more than £450, preferably a little less. I did look at the Fortus 30 but I've read that they're really suited for mainly DH riding since they're extra reinforced and quite heavy/sluggish as a result.

Posted: Mar 10, 2021 at 4:24 Quote
Maybe Hunt has some wheels in your price range, I'm not sure on the price tag, but I know they make a trail/enduro wheelset for a similar price.

Posted: Mar 10, 2021 at 4:26 Quote
FloridaHasMTBToo wrote:
Maybe Hunt has some wheels in your price range, I'm not sure on the price tag, but I know they make a trail/enduro wheelset for a similar price.

Indeed, this might well be the best option below 500.

Posted: Mar 13, 2021 at 17:37 Quote
dooge wrote:
shred-zilla wrote:
dooge wrote:
Hey ladies and gents, read through a fair few pages but cant spend the time to read 134 pages!

I currently have a 2017 YT Jeffsy CF two 27.5 with a DVO Topaz (230 x 65 I think, might be 60) and it really is an epic shock. I had a Fox Float X on a different bike before and its not a patch on the DVO.

The bike also has a 2016 Pike RCT3 running a 2020 Debonair airshaft at 160mm. I don't find the setup great, very little mid stroke support, even with 3 tokens and a bit more pressure than recommended. Its really the weakness compared to the DVO. In its current setup they measure 542mm axle to crown (negative pressure pulling it down), 66 degree head angle in the low position, 66.5 in high.

I am thinking of replacing them with 2018 Lyriks. Having a look at some running 170mm (knowing I can drop to 160mm if needed) as they have a low offset (37mm) and are relatively well priced.

Plan is to run the flipchip in high position making H/A 66 in high or 65.5 in low. I'm worried about BB being too high as this will be roughly 20mm higher up front than stock (150mm Pike measures 542mm)

Anyone running 170mm up front and 160mm rear? I know I can stick in a half degree offset bush if needed.

I have considered new Pikes but dont want to spend that much, there also seems to be a severe lack of forks available at the moment due to Covid.

Dooge,
I actually put on a new Lyrik (160mm) in my 2018 CF, and it is the low offset. I wanted to see what that felt like. It is actually a little harder (noticeably) to turn and not as nimble as it was with the 44mm offset. The one benefit to this setup is it feels really stable at high speeds.
I don't mind the 37mm, and it makes for a more active riding style. However, I would prefer the 44mm.
I would say if you wanted to try it, do it, but keep the old fork if you wanted to swap it back.
Cheers

So I pulled the trigger on a pair of 2018 Lyrik RCT3s, 170mm, 46mm offset. I decided not to go for the low offset for a few reasons:

170mm will have a good effect, in low:
H/A - 65.6 degrees
BB height - 342mm
Lengthen the bike
Bring up the stack a bit

If I want it more sensible, high is:
H/A - 66.1 degrees
BB height - 350mm
Still with the benefit of the longer and higher stack.

A low offset fork will make it stable at speed but lose out on its ability to turn and manoeuvre. The slack H/A and relatively low BB will ensure it handles well, higher offset will help with that. I ride alot of steep stuff, not so much high speed stuff and I've never seen anyone mention about the Jeffsy' lack of ability to handle high speed stuff, so it didn't need improving.

I also realised I can drop fork travel to 160mm if I find 170mm too much with another airshaft. Better overall fork than my Pike too and a longer steerer.

I should add the measurements above are with adding a 20mm thick bit of wood underneath my front wheel to simulate the increase in fork length, and measuring H/A with an angle meter on my phone so I'm taking it all with a pinch of salt.

Who else is still rocking a 2017 Jeffsy?

Hey Dooge how did the 170mm Fork feel? Im sending out the fork on my 2020 to get serviced and im having them throw a 170mm shaft in from the 160. Kinda nervous what it will do for the GEO, but i dont climb up mountains so im hoping it will be okay, To get my fork to not bottom out i throw in 3 and 4 volume reducers and then it feels like shit everywhere. So im hoping to run 170 with 1 volume reducer instead, Any testimonies on a 170mm fork out there?

Posted: Mar 14, 2021 at 12:37 Quote
Does anyone know what size of the race face crank housings thats used on the AL Comp 27 2018 ?

Posted: Mar 15, 2021 at 3:59 Quote
Martinbolsen wrote:
Does anyone know what size of the race face crank housings thats used on the AL Comp 27 2018 ?

This is the information from the last Pressfit bearing I bought to my Jeffsy.
Type: Press Fit
Cranckhouse width: 89.5/92 mm
Cranckhouse diameter: 41 mm

Posted: Mar 25, 2021 at 10:18 Quote
Does anyone know what the size/specs are for the Rockshox rear mounting hardware for a 2016 YT Jeffsy? The shock is the Monarch R.

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 18:26 Quote
Hey guys, I recently picked up a Garmin for my Jeffsy and was looking around for a mount. I couldn't find something that I was sure would work with the Renthal bars. I ended up designing and 3D printing a custom mount. The file is available here if anyone is interested; https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4814885

Posted: Apr 2, 2021 at 20:22 Quote
That looks great! Very good job tup

Posted: Apr 10, 2021 at 10:32 Quote
I'm trying to make my 2017 al one more capable for very chunky, and steep dh park. I already have a 230x65 bomber cr on the way, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with the front. It currently has a stock 150mm pike rc that I'm honestly not super happy with it through the chunk. I don't know if it's the low end damper or what but it just never seems very controlled. I feel much more under control on my short travel 29er because the wheel size seems to compensate for the suspension quite a bit, but I feel like if I had better suspension i could stick with the 27 because I do enjoy it.

So i'd like to remedy this--bump up the travel and reduce the head angle. Is it worth bumping the pike to 160 and doing a damper upgrade or should I maybe look for a 170 lyrik instead? I weigh around 180lbs and I'm not an expert rider but I do alright. I considered a mullet conversion but it sounds like the compromises won't be worth it. Another consideration is to sell the Jeffsy and get a more capable bike, but I'm wanting to make it work for now if it's worthwhile. Any advice is appreciated!

edit: also if i install the 230x65 shock while i'm still 150 up front what will the effect be?

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 4:47 Quote
dookeh wrote:
I'm trying to make my 2017 al one more capable for very chunky, and steep dh park. I already have a 230x65 bomber cr on the way, but I'm trying to figure out what to do with the front. It currently has a stock 150mm pike rc that I'm honestly not super happy with it through the chunk. I don't know if it's the low end damper or what but it just never seems very controlled. I feel much more under control on my short travel 29er because the wheel size seems to compensate for the suspension quite a bit, but I feel like if I had better suspension i could stick with the 27 because I do enjoy it.

So i'd like to remedy this--bump up the travel and reduce the head angle. Is it worth bumping the pike to 160 and doing a damper upgrade or should I maybe look for a 170 lyrik instead? I weigh around 180lbs and I'm not an expert rider but I do alright. I considered a mullet conversion but it sounds like the compromises won't be worth it. Another consideration is to sell the Jeffsy and get a more capable bike, but I'm wanting to make it work for now if it's worthwhile. Any advice is appreciated!

edit: also if i install the 230x65 shock while i'm still 150 up front what will the effect be?
Look into the DSD Runt for an easy and effective fork upgrade...creates a dual air chamber providing mid-stroke support to get that control you seek...the non-boost version is $50 off...

Posted: Apr 11, 2021 at 5:39 Quote
I would up the travel to 160 mm with a debonair spring and service the lowers first. New improved air spring, increased travel and fresh oil in the lowers will already radically change the way it behaves.

Then, if you are not satisfied after these changes, it will be time to think of the damper.

Posted: Apr 12, 2021 at 0:29 Quote
Yeah going from solo air to debonair and 150mm to 160mm at the same time for me was an absolutely amazing upgrade. It felt like a brand new fork honestly, would recommend to anyone who hasn't done that.

Posted: Apr 17, 2021 at 12:23 Quote
I ended up taking the 36 to 170mms on my 2020 and it feels great, geo seems fine.

Posted: Apr 22, 2021 at 22:43 Quote
Hey guys
I have a 2020 Jeffsy AL Base. I'm looking to upgrade the shock to a RS Super Deluxe Ultimate.

Will this shock fit in this frame, a bit worried about the piggyback fitting. The Base model frame size doesn't leave much room around the rear shock. The COMP version seems to have a slightly different frame shape to support beefier shocks.
Also will the existing hardware mounts simply transfer over or will I need new mounting hardware?

Thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008519
Mobile Version of Website