Jeffsy 27.5 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 27.5 Thread
| Next Page
Posted: Sep 4, 2021 at 15:09 Quote
Twilk73 wrote:
Just got a jeffsy core 2 base. First full suspension bike. Anything i should look out for or do right away. Maybe a bash guard for the crank? Any known problems to look out for? I know it's base but i figure ill wear it out learning and then move up when needed.
Any known ways to drop some of the weight on this bike, like tricks or anything.

I'd say first get to know the bike and spend some time setting it up to your likings (suspension, levers, handlebar, seat).

Check all bolts for torque, switch to tubeless (super-simple, the rims are already taped and YT includes the valves, although I ended up replacing the valve cores because they were not good), put some grease on the dropper as on both our Jeffsy and Capra (2021) it started to creak after few hours (I mean take the dropper entirely out of the frame, put a light coat of grease on it and put it back in). I also shortened the cables and brake lines because they were awfully long and I like a cleaner cockpit.

Lastly, on the Jeffsy (Core 2, same as yours) I got shorter cranks (170mm) and a 30T chainring because my wife liked the overall gear ratio of her old bike better, so I made the Jeffsy exactly like that. With the 30T it climbs much better, and it's a straight replacement, no need to shorten the chain.

Posted: Sep 11, 2021 at 20:44 Quote
Hey there,

I have a 2017 Jeffsy w/the Rockshox RT Deluxe. Does anyone have experience setting up this shock? I am a 200lb rider and have the psi at 150 - with no volume spacers. I am getting about 25% sag and still only using about 50-60% of my travel when riding. I wrote to YT to see if they have thoughts, but figure maybe y'all might know more!

I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing or maybe it needs a service...?

Ideas?
Thanks!!

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 5:52 Quote
pollyjune wrote:
Hey there,

I have a 2017 Jeffsy w/the Rockshox RT Deluxe. Does anyone have experience setting up this shock? I am a 200lb rider and have the psi at 150 - with no volume spacers. I am getting about 25% sag and still only using about 50-60% of my travel when riding. I wrote to YT to see if they have thoughts, but figure maybe y'all might know more!

Ideas?
Thanks!!

Hi the bike is designed with a really high progression rate something like 49% compared to most other bikes which are between 15 and 25. I can only suggest more sag. I also tried everything, I'm on a coil now better but still not great, I find it really harsh on repeated chatter. Good luck

Posted: Sep 12, 2021 at 7:38 Quote
pollyjune wrote:
Hey there,

Ideas?
Thanks!!

Probably needs a service. When I was riding mine, it could get about 80% of travel use, and I’m 165lbs kitted up.

But as above, the frame’s leverage curve is really high. Makes it hard to get a super plush feel, but will save your bacon if you get into an “oh crap” moment.

One idea is to buy a better shock. I run a Fox X2, which lets me tune compression and rebound circuits in both high and low speeds. It’s also a much more “linear” air shock. It fits the Jeffsy’s suspension kinematics well. I’m now able to routinely get 80-90% travel on most of my rides, and closer to 100% on more rowdy features. But it’s still got great bottom out resistance, especially on Jeffsy. I’ve still never had a harsh bottom out with it, even with bigger drops, or jumps to flat, or larger rock gardens.

Just a thought.

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 12:54 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
pollyjune wrote:
Hey there,

Ideas?
Thanks!!

Probably needs a service. When I was riding mine, it could get about 80% of travel use, and I’m 165lbs kitted up.

But as above, the frame’s leverage curve is really high. Makes it hard to get a super plush feel, but will save your bacon if you get into an “oh crap” moment.

One idea is to buy a better shock. I run a Fox X2, which lets me tune compression and rebound circuits in both high and low speeds. It’s also a much more “linear” air shock. It fits the Jeffsy’s suspension kinematics well. I’m now able to routinely get 80-90% travel on most of my rides, and closer to 100% on more rowdy features. But it’s still got great bottom out resistance, especially on Jeffsy. I’ve still never had a harsh bottom out with it, even with bigger drops, or jumps to flat, or larger rock gardens.

Just a thought.

Very helpful! Thank you both -- I found a great Youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/c/andrextr

This guy does a breakdown on the bike and details what all the fancy words y'all said mean -- I'm going to work with the psi and see if I can get more koosh.

Thanks!

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 21:34 Quote
pollyjune wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
pollyjune wrote:
Hey there,

Ideas?
Thanks!!

Just a thought.

This guy does a breakdown on the bike and details what all the fancy words y'all said mean -- I'm going to work with the psi and see if I can get more koosh.

Thanks!

Ahh, backup. Yeah, you need to start setting it up from scratch. I assumed you knew that (my fault, shouldn’t have done that).

Let your riding gear on. Helmet, usual clothing, shoes, hydration pack etc. use the o-ring on the shock and start standing next to the bike, push the o-ring all the way up against the shock body, sit lightly on the bike and lower your entire weight onto it gently. The o-ring will move down the stanchion with the shock body. Where it stops is your current sag point. Luckily on Rockshox products They print sag indicators on the stanchion.

Aim for 25-30% sag. I went with 30% on the deluxe. Attach a shock pump and adjust from your start point to get 30% at that o-ring. If you’re getting less than that, let a bit of air out, if you’re getting more than that, add some air back in.

Once sag is set right, then fiddle with the compression and rebound dials. More compression gets you a firmer feel and vice versa. Set rebound so your shock recoils relatively quickly while riding, but without it feeling like it wants to “buck” you forward off the bike. Too slow on the rebound and the shock can “pack up” on rapidly successive hits, too fast and it’ll try to throw you OTB and be hard to control on chunky sections. Rebound and compression should be adjusted on rides, where you can feel how the suspension is behaving under you and tweak it slowly, 1-2 clicks at a time, to feel as good as possible.

But you gotta get that sag point set first. It’s easy to do.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 7:37 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
pollyjune wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

Just a thought.

Thanks!

Ahh, backup. Yeah, you need to start setting it up from scratch. I assumed you knew that (my fault, shouldn’t have done that).

Let your riding gear on. Helmet, usual clothing, shoes, hydration pack etc. use the o-ring on the shock and start standing next to the bike, push the o-ring all the way up against the shock body, sit lightly on the bike and lower your entire weight onto it gently. The o-ring will move down the stanchion with the shock body. Where it stops is your current sag point. Luckily on Rockshox products They print sag indicators on the stanchion.

Aim for 25-30% sag. I went with 30% on the deluxe. Attach a shock pump and adjust from your start point to get 30% at that o-ring. If you’re getting less than that, let a bit of air out, if you’re getting more than that, add some air back in.

Once sag is set right, then fiddle with the compression and rebound dials. More compression gets you a firmer feel and vice versa. Set rebound so your shock recoils relatively quickly while riding, but without it feeling like it wants to “buck” you forward off the bike. Too slow on the rebound and the shock can “pack up” on rapidly successive hits, too fast and it’ll try to throw you OTB and be hard to control on chunky sections. Rebound and compression should be adjusted on rides, where you can feel how the suspension is behaving under you and tweak it slowly, 1-2 clicks at a time, to feel as good as possible.

But you gotta get that sag point set first. It’s easy to do.

Totally -- I did set the sag originally -- and based on this thread plus watching some videos about progressive shock curves I think I will just tweak by setting more sag to see if I can get more plushness - but like others have stated, coil might be more up my alley in the future.

Thanks for all y'alls thoughts!

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 19:50 Quote
Has anyone replaced their Jeffsy linkage bearings? I have 1,300ish miles on mine and it’s feeling fine. Just curious what kind of mileage people had in their bearings before replacing them…

Posted: Oct 10, 2021 at 13:10 Quote
Hey, y'all, I'm posting this here because I couldn't find this information anywhere, and hopefully some lost soul in the future can find this on Google.

I just put a 2021 (I think?) Bomber CR on my 2019 Jeffsy CF Pro Race 27.5, and it does not fit in the traditional way. You can squeeze it in, but you will have to mount it backwards, and upsidedown.

The top eyelet of the Bomber CR is not sufficiently far enough away from the top of the shock body to clear the frame mounts in the normal position. The distance shown in red is very small. Less than 1cm.

The shock mounting hardware should be:

20x8mm front mount
40x8mm rear mount

Also I'm about 200 lbs at the moment, and the 450 LB spring on these seems pretty close, but I'll have to ride it more to say for sure.

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 9:43 Quote
JGinley wrote:
Hey, y'all, I'm posting this here because I couldn't find this information anywhere, and hopefully some lost soul in the future can find this on Google.

I just put a 2021 (I think?) Bomber CR on my 2019 Jeffsy CF Pro Race 27.5, and it does not fit in the traditional way. You can squeeze it in, but you will have to mount it backwards, and upsidedown.

The top eyelet of the Bomber CR is not sufficiently far enough away from the top of the shock body to clear the frame mounts in the normal position. The distance shown in red is very small. Less than 1cm.

The shock mounting hardware should be:

20x8mm front mount
40x8mm rear mount

Also I'm about 200 lbs at the moment, and the 450 LB spring on these seems pretty close, but I'll have to ride it more to say for sure.

I had the same issue with the bomber on my 29. It actually just fit for me but it has rubbed a bit of the paint from the mount point. Will probably try to mount it the same way you did.

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006455
Mobile Version of Website