close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Jeffsy 27.5 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 27.5 Thread
| Next Page
Posted: Nov 25, 2021 at 21:19 Quote
Panders42 wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Panders42 wrote:
Hey, I’m trying to remove my headset in the 2019 carbon jeffsy. Have an Acros replacement from YT with the cups and bearings. They said to replace the whole thing. I punched part of the bearing out, but can not get the plastic cup out. I am banging on it with a dowel, but I’m worried about damaging the frame.

How’d you folks get those cups out!?

The cups are integrated. You just clean, re-grease, and set the new bearings in. The Acros might come with new cups, but on the Jeffsy, they aren’t used.

At least that’s what I did with my Chris King set.

Hmm, I hammered the bearing, and only the bearing inner race came out. I can not get that full bearing out of the cup. Maybe I shouldn’t be trying to pry that cup out of there apparently.

Yeah, I’d definitely focus on getting the outer race out.

Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Panders42 wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

The cups are integrated. You just clean, re-grease, and set the new bearings in. The Acros might come with new cups, but on the Jeffsy, they aren’t used.

At least that’s what I did with my Chris King set.

Hmm, I hammered the bearing, and only the bearing inner race came out. I can not get that full bearing out of the cup. Maybe I shouldn’t be trying to pry that cup out of there apparently.

Copy. Are you referencing mk1 or 2?

Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 16:44 Quote
Panders42 wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Panders42 wrote:

They both have integrated headsets. At least on the carbon versions, the aluminum ones have cups that are inset.

Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 19:23 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Panders42 wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

They both have integrated headsets. At least on the carbon versions, the aluminum ones have cups that are inset.

MK2 has Zero-Stack
MK2TechDraw

Posted: Nov 26, 2021 at 23:13 Quote
undescended wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Panders42 wrote:

MK2 has Zero-Stack
MK2TechDraw

Okay, I see the headset is “zero stack” with “integrated bearings”. From what I understand, zero stack can include removable cups. YT sent me a replacement Acros headset kit, but the bearings are definitely secured into the cups. I’m not about to try to pound those bearings out either because I’m sure I would damage them. I brought it down to my local bike shop and will call YT next week to get their opinion. Thanks for your help. Headsets are confusing.

Posted: Nov 28, 2021 at 8:15 Quote
Panders42 wrote:
undescended wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

MK2 has Zero-Stack
MK2TechDraw

Okay, I see the headset is “zero stack” with “integrated bearings”. From what I understand, zero stack can include removable cups. YT sent me a replacement Acros headset kit, but the bearings are definitely secured into the cups. I’m not about to try to pound those bearings out either because I’m sure I would damage them. I brought it down to my local bike shop and will call YT next week to get their opinion. Thanks for your help. Headsets are confusing.

Just remove the cups from the headtube and press in the new ones.

I used a rubber mallet and a large flathead screwdriver.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 11:10 Quote
13Mcfly wrote:
Panders42 wrote:
undescended wrote:

MK2 has Zero-Stack
MK2TechDraw

Just heard back from YT. The cups do need to be removed from the frame when installing a new headset.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 11:51 Quote
Panders42 wrote:
13Mcfly wrote:
Panders42 wrote:

Just heard back from YT. The cups do need to be removed from the frame when installing a new headset.

So strange, one of their technical documents mentions the cups are integrated on both Mk1 and Mk2 carbon frames. Guess that’s innaccurate.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 14:16 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Panders42 wrote:
13Mcfly wrote:

So strange, one of their technical documents mentions the cups are integrated on both Mk1 and Mk2 carbon frames. Guess that’s innaccurate.

The website says something along those lines as well. It also says integrated bearings, which I believe implies that the bearings are integrated/fixed into the cups, which are apparently removable. I stand by my previous statement; headsets are confusing.

Posted: Nov 29, 2021 at 15:28 Quote
Panders42 wrote:
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Panders42 wrote:

The website says something along those lines as well. It also says integrated bearings, which I believe implies that the bearings are integrated/fixed into the cups, which are apparently removable. I stand by my previous statement; headsets are confusing.

Yes, they can be. I swapped out my MK1 headset this past summer, expected removable cups and all there was was a depression molded into the carbon that fit the new King headset almost perfectly. I just cleaned old grease and grit off the carbon, placed grease on the new upper and lower bearing, and set them in the molded cups, no prying, no pounding needed. I didn’t even use tools for anything other than taking the stem on and off the steerer, and pounding the new crown race onto the new fork I also installed at the same time.

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
I'm looking to replace my crankset, I'm curious if I can use a SRAM NX Eagle DUB 165mm Crankset with 32t X-Sync 2 on my 2018 Jeffsy AL with a Raceface cinch crankset 30mm spindle

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 15:01 Quote
Ddonoso83 wrote:
I'm looking to replace my crankset, I'm curious if I can use a SRAM NX Eagle DUB 165mm Crankset with 32t X-Sync 2 on my 2018 Jeffsy AL with a Raceface cinch crankset 30mm spindle
Bottom bracket must be changed to DUB for a DUB crankset…

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 20:57 Quote
undescended wrote:
Ddonoso83 wrote:

Are you sure? Just to be more specific, my crankset is a Raceface turbine, I need shorter Crank arms I'm currently on 175, want to go down to 165mm

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 4:03 Quote
Ddonoso83 wrote:
undescended wrote:
Ddonoso83 wrote:

Are you sure? Just to be more specific, my crankset is a Raceface turbine, I need shorter Crank arms I'm currently on 175, want to go down to 165mm

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008384
Mobile Version of Website