Jeffsy 27.5 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 27.5 Thread
Posted: Jan 4, 2019 at 0:06 Quote
Speaking of coils, there are some super-cheap coil shocks out there, like DNM for example. Does it make sense to use those just to get that coil feel, to see if I like it or not, before moving to serious shock?

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 at 4:45 Quote
oo-viper-oo wrote:
Speaking of coils, there are some super-cheap coil shocks out there, like DNM for example. Does it make sense to use those just to get that coil feel, to see if I like it or not, before moving to serious shock?

I know what you mean, I’d just be worried about a cheaper not so great performing shock putting me off coil completely if I tried it and didnt like it.

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 at 12:46 Quote
oo-viper-oo wrote:

Better yet, buy a good one. If you don’t like it for some reason I’m sure it would sell in the Classifieds very quickly.

Cheap and quality/reliability/function never seem to all go together. Best of luck.

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 at 14:13 Quote
oo-viper-oo wrote:

I don't think those cheap shocks are made in metric spacing... also the performance in terms of damping, sensitivity (small bump) will be nowhere near a DHX2, Super Deluxe, Jade etc. Best bet is to buy a new/take-off and if you don't like it you should be able to sell it for what you paid. Quite a few available on PB Buy/Sell or eBay, mostly Super Deluxes, just make sure it doesn't have the top bearing mount (I think Transition Patrol has that).

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 at 14:30 Quote
gramboh wrote:
oo-viper-oo wrote:

I don't think those cheap shocks are made in metric spacing... also the performance in terms of damping, sensitivity (small bump) will be nowhere near a DHX2, Super Deluxe, Jade etc. Best bet is to buy a new/take-off and if you don't like it you should be able to sell it for what you paid. Quite a few available on PB Buy/Sell or eBay, mostly Super Deluxes, just make sure it doesn't have the top bearing mount (I think Transition Patrol has that).

Good shout on the metric sizing! Thanks I’ll take a look. I’m going to try the removal of the volume spacer and 25% sag truck first and see how it feels. If not then I’m buying a dhx2 haha.

Posted: Jan 4, 2019 at 20:09 Quote
Originally I was planning to upgrade from my RT Deluxe to coil shock, but had the opportunity to buy a Fox X2 at incredibly good pricing, so I grabbed that instead. The difference is profound. Granted, it's 65mm stroke, so travel bumped up to 160mm. The rear is now way more supple and controlled. With the RT Deluxe, once you picked up decent speed, the rear would get harsh pretty quickly over choppy & rocky terrain and/or sudden square edge impacts. The X2 took care of all that, feels so much better. I am taking a slight hit in poppieness, but it's still a very poppy bike in general, X2 or not.

Posted: Jan 5, 2019 at 23:09 Quote

I’ve been riding the steed for about a year. Perhaps one of the best bikes I’ve ever ridden! I like it so much I just convinced my dad to get an al comp. I figured it was about time to actually make an account on here and share some photos! Also I need to come up with a name for her still.... any suggestions?

Posted: Jan 7, 2019 at 17:32 Quote
fizzynut wrote:
Originally I was planning to upgrade from my RT Deluxe to coil shock, but had the opportunity to buy a Fox X2 at incredibly good pricing, so I grabbed that instead. The difference is profound. Granted, it's 65mm stroke, so travel bumped up to 160mm. The rear is now way more supple and controlled. With the RT Deluxe, once you picked up decent speed, the rear would get harsh pretty quickly over choppy & rocky terrain and/or sudden square edge impacts. The X2 took care of all that, feels so much better. I am taking a slight hit in poppieness, but it's still a very poppy bike in general, X2 or not.

Yep, I think this is what separates the good shocks from the GREAT shocks...high speed hits. I recently upgraded my stock Float DPS Evol to a Super Deluxe RC3 (air)...also a profound difference, but primarily in low speed compliance. It pretty much eliminated the embedded rock trail chatter, up to maybe 3" objects. And it's much better at high speed, but will still kick a bit as the speed increases, I think this is where a more linear coil setup just works better. I'm not making the jump to a coil shock yet as I just got the super deluxe and I'm not really a "fast" guy, but we do ride and climb some rocky/rooted terrain, so for now I'm good. I did just load up an MRP Ribbon coil fork however! :-) Hoping to test this week, but seat of the pants around the house testing says WOW!

Suspension is definitely not the area to go cheap in, just wait it out for a quality used/take-off as suggested.

Posted: Jan 8, 2019 at 13:14 Quote
I think the problem with the Jeffsy and more trail oriented shocks like the Float DPS, Deluxe, DPX2 is those smaller air chamber shocks are more progressive air springs. When you stack that on the very progressive Jeffsy frame you get harshness especially on high speed chatter/big hits. The Float X2 has a much bigger chamber and better damping control as it is more DH oriented so you get that lovely planted smooth feeling.

DPX2 is really well reviewed on more linear frame design bikes, you can see Jeff KW's review of the Ibis Ripmo he actually prefers the DPX2 over the X2, some people say that same on the Hightower and other bikes.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 2:19 Quote
gramboh wrote:
I think the problem with the Jeffsy and more trail oriented shocks like the Float DPS, Deluxe, DPX2 is those smaller air chamber shocks are more progressive air springs. When you stack that on the very progressive Jeffsy frame you get harshness especially on high speed chatter/big hits. The Float X2 has a much bigger chamber and better damping control as it is more DH oriented so you get that lovely planted smooth feeling.

DPX2 is really well reviewed on more linear frame design bikes, you can see Jeff KW's review of the Ibis Ripmo he actually prefers the DPX2 over the X2, some people say that same on the Hightower and other bikes.

This is good point. However please also bear in mind following: Jeffsy 27 DPX2 decodes to this:
Custom tune ID: DGYP
2018, FLOAT DPX2, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj Evol LV, YT, AM182710 - Jeffsy 27,5", 230, 65, 0.2 Spacer, CM, RL, Rezi A F M, Orange Logo, Green Oil

Some interesting finds there are:
- There is preinstalled 0.2 spacer (which I already removed btw), which makes is more progressive. No idea why YT ordered such shocks with preinstalled spaces for their progressive frames
- CM says there's medium compression shim stack installed in the shock. Fox also provides light compression shim stack available for DPX2. Again, no idea why YT ordered shocks with medium compression when there's lock switch on the shock. Light shim stack should make the DPX2 plusher and I plan to have it installed once I send DPX2 for service.

805-05-370-KIT Valve Stack Assy: 2018 Float DPX2, Compression Medium, CM
805-05-371-KIT Valve Stack Assy: 2018 Float DPX2, Compression Light, CL

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 5:06 Quote
oo-viper-oo wrote:
gramboh wrote:

This is good point. However please also bear in mind following: Jeffsy 27 DPX2 decodes to this:
Custom tune ID: DGYP
2018, FLOAT DPX2, F-S, K, 3pos-Adj Evol LV, YT, AM182710 - Jeffsy 27,5", 230, 65, 0.2 Spacer, CM, RL, Rezi A F M, Orange Logo, Green Oil

Some interesting finds there are:
- There is preinstalled 0.2 spacer (which I already removed btw), which makes is more progressive. No idea why YT ordered such shocks with preinstalled spaces for their progressive frames
- CM says there's medium compression shim stack installed in the shock. Fox also provides light compression shim stack available for DPX2. Again, no idea why YT ordered shocks with medium compression when there's lock switch on the shock. Light shim stack should make the DPX2 plusher and I plan to have it installed once I send DPX2 for service.

805-05-370-KIT Valve Stack Assy: 2018 Float DPX2, Compression Medium, CM
805-05-371-KIT Valve Stack Assy: 2018 Float DPX2, Compression Light, CL

This is not as big of a conspiracy as you may believe. They are just spec’d to apply to the masses. They are willing to sacrifice a little for the smaller riders to make it actually a rideable shock for the bigger riders.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 8:40 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
This is not as big of a conspiracy as you may believe. They are just spec’d to apply to the masses. They are willing to sacrifice a little for the smaller riders to make it actually a rideable shock for the bigger riders.

I'm 95kg/210lbs, I consider myself a big rider. As correctly pointed out by gramboh, DPX2 has fairly small air volume, which makes it progressive enough even without spaces. This added together with frame progressivity and medium compression tuning means that with my 95kg I have yet to bottom out and that is with the stock spacer removed.

Then it comes as no surprise that your average weight rider is not impressed with the DPX2 performance on his Race Pro Jeffsy and I have seen such reports.

Edit: In fact, the tuning seems to be opposite to your suggestion. You suggested the bikes were specced to apply to the masses. Now Jeffsy is supposed to be trail bike and to me it looks like it's actually specced for heavy park usage.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 12:20 Quote
Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if a product manager at YT just chose the medium tune on the DPX2 figuring it would apply to the most riders, and did not consider the impact on the progressive frame. Who knows if they actually tested different compression tunes for each bike spec before finalizing and making the orders, or whether they actually work with Fox showing the frame kinematics before deciding on a tune...

I could be wrong, just speculating.

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 12:21 Quote
[Quote="Buchinator"][Quote]

Great Pics!!

Posted: Jan 9, 2019 at 12:53 Quote
Here's a little 2019 Jeffsy video:

https://streamable.com/rx0t3

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014630
Mobile Version of Website