Jeffsy 27.5 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy 27.5 Thread
Posted: May 19, 2019 at 17:01 Quote
If anyone is interested in upping the rear travel.

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2571243/

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 4:35 Quote
What’s it take to swap the 230x60 Rockshox to the 230x65 Fox DPX2?

I would be interested if I can figure out what I’d need to mount it. I’ve tried to research it, all I know is it doesn’t seem to be a direct swap. Then I got lost, lol.

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 5:40 Quote
Nothing, you can use the same hardware, and fit new du bushes on the shock, or you can remove the inner travel limiter from the rs, if the reason you're looking for a new shock is for increasing your travel

Posted: May 21, 2019 at 10:04 Quote
Thanks for the reply, I really don’t need more travel. I’m looking for more high and low speed bump compliance, lots of roots on the trails around here. More traction, less pogo feeling.
Just need to make sure the DPX2 is going to be a decent upgrade over my RockShox Deluxe RT3. I still could mess some more with rebound, my sag and air pressure are pretty spot on.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 1:14 Quote
RyeThomas wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I really don’t need more travel. I’m looking for more high and low speed bump compliance, lots of roots on the trails around here. More traction, less pogo feeling.
Just need to make sure the DPX2 is going to be a decent upgrade over my RockShox Deluxe RT3. I still could mess some more with rebound, my sag and air pressure are pretty spot on.

Having gone from a DPS performance to the DPX2 factory, I can say I did see an improvement in small bump compliance and less pogo feeling. I wouldn't say it was huge though, about 30% but I haven't tested it back to back. I've never used those extra 5mm but I like to know they're there for when I get over confident

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 6:39 Quote
I’m contemplating the DVO Topaz T3. For the money new and the fact it can be completely serviced at home it seems like a win. I try to ride year round, so that’s a factor.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 19:56 Quote
RyeThomas wrote:

I replaced my rockshox Deluxe RT3 with a rockshox superdeluxe coil shock and could not be happier. The coil shock performance improvement is substantial. The bike corners so much better with the coil and the small bump harshness is totally gone. Really glad I went with the coil shock as it made the Jeffsy feel like a different bike. Just make sure you get the correct spring for your weight.

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 22:49 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
RyeThomas wrote:

I replaced my rockshox Deluxe RT3 with a rockshox superdeluxe coil shock and could not be happier. The coil shock performance improvement is substantial. The bike corners so much better with the coil and the small bump harshness is totally gone. Really glad I went with the coil shock as it made the Jeffsy feel like a different bike. Just make sure you get the correct spring for your weight.

Did you get the 230 x 65? What is the length of the coil you need with it? And where did you find the information to choose the right spring for your weight?

Posted: May 22, 2019 at 23:56 Quote
TibZ wrote:
buddymtb wrote:
RyeThomas wrote:

Did you get the 230 x 65? What is the length of the coil you need with it? And where did you find the information to choose the right spring for your weight?

I also swapped my shock with a marzocchi bomber cr coil and it’s perfect for the jeffsy.
Spring’s length is 2.75/2.8 inch and for the poundage you can check the websites: ridefox, tftuned, ti-springs.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 5:02 Quote
wrote:
wrote:
AndreaYT11 wrote:

I also swapped my shock with a marzocchi bomber cr coil and it’s perfect for the jeffsy.
Spring’s length is 2.75/2.8 inch and for the poundage you can check the websites: ridefox, tftuned, ti-springs.

Ok thank you. I'm still hesitant to go for a coil or for the dvo topaz... Hard to choose, topaz is cheaper, lighter, probably easier to service and highly tunable, but coil is probably a very good choice too for this bike...

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 9:16 Quote
TibZ wrote:
buddymtb wrote:
RyeThomas wrote:

Yes I got the 230 x 65, here is a link to the shock https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/products/rockshox-rear-shock-super-deluxe-ultimate-coil-rct-230x65-mreb-lcomp-380lb-lockout-force-yt-jeffsy-27-5?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpJr0q4Oy4gIVCb3sCh0tdAwIEAQYASABEgIg_vD_BwE

Spring length I used was 65mm. I am 200lbs all kitted up and I went with a 400lb spring which is just right for the trails I ride which have a lot of chunk and some big drops and jumps. What really surprised is how well the bike climbs with this shock. The traction on the technical climbs is amazing and it gives plenty of support so I don't have any bobbing. To help determine you correct spring rate, contact worldwide cyclery and give them your weight, riding style, and bike make and model and they will give you a recommended spring rate, They were very helpful when I contacted them via email. Good luck.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 10:54 Quote
Topaz is great on the Jeffsy, I upgraded from Deluxe RT3 to Topaz on my 2017 CF One. Also went to 65mm stroke length for 160mm rear travel. Thoughts:

- Superior small bump sensitivity, especially on longer descents where shock heats up. The Deluxe would feel harsh, Topaz feels great.
- Better damping/rebound control, bike feels more planted.
- More tuning options: volume reducers in positive and negative chambers (helpful on older Jeffsy leverage curve), you can tune overall compression curve via bladder air chamber and you have 3 way LSC.
- One downside, the 3 way compression switch does not firm up LSC as much as the Deluxe RT3, there's more pedal bob than the RT3. Still fine for climbing, only really notice it on roads.
- May as well go 65mm stroke length. The eye to eye is the same so static geometry/ride height doesn't change much assuming you set sag correctly. You just have 10mm more travel at end stroke effectively and can run slightly more absolute sag (30% of 65mm vs 30% of 60mm for example).

Coil would be great too, but Topaz is a good deal. I had a DHX2 Factory on my DH bike and it's an amazing shock but costs twice as much as the Topaz in Canada.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 10:59 Quote
trothgeb wrote:
Looking for a little advice. Im 5'9" riding a medium 2018 CF Pro which i find a little cramped and a feel really heavy on the bars, my hands fall asleep sometimes as well. Would a longer stem fix this problem? I was looking at adding a 70mm stem, is that going to be a huge jump from the 50mm stem that came stock? would a 60mm stem be a better option? thanks for the help.

Some things you can try:

1) Roll bars back slightly
2) Shorter stem (will change handling)
3) More stack (higher rise bars, move spacers if there's room)
4) When you are climbing on pavement/smooth fire roads (i.e. not technical), grab your handle bars in the middle of the bar and not on the grips. This pushes weight back and off your hands and gives them a rest.
5) Play with the position of saddle rails in clamp and angle of saddle. If it's nose down too far it will push a lot of weight onto your hands. Of course you can't put it nose up too high or you will get numb undercarriage issue.

Longer stem will make it worse, and 70mm on a bike like Jeffsy will screw up cornering/steering/steeps quite a bit.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 13:33 Quote
trothgeb wrote:
Looking for a little advice. Im 5'9" riding a medium 2018 CF Pro which i find a little cramped and a feel really heavy on the bars, my hands fall asleep sometimes as well. Would a longer stem fix this problem? I was looking at adding a 70mm stem, is that going to be a huge jump from the 50mm stem that came stock? would a 60mm stem be a better option? thanks for the help.

Before you invest in a longer stem, try rolling the bars forward. The Jeffsy has a shorter reach and I solved that by rolling the bars forward which took the pressure off of my hands and I had a lot more room to maneuver on the bike. Also, if you have room on the fork tube, add more spacers to raise the bars up.

Posted: May 23, 2019 at 14:00 Quote
buddymtb wrote:
trothgeb wrote:

Before you invest in a longer stem, try rolling the bars forward. The Jeffsy has a shorter reach and I solved that by rolling the bars forward which took the pressure off of my hands and I had a lot more room to maneuver on the bike. Also, if you have room on the fork tube, add more spacers to raise the bars up.

Thanks for the input guys, sounds like a longer stem is not the way to go. I will play around with the spacer and rolling the bars to see if I can get a better fit

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.027257
Mobile Version of Website