Capra 29 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Capra 29 Thread
Previous Page |
Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 11:54 Quote
Post your Capra stuff here.

Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 14:48 Quote
195lb aggressive Capra CF Pro 29er owner here.

I’m not loving the rear DPX2. It’s good for climbing and intermediate trails but when things get fast and chunky (most of my trails), it’s lacking mid-stroke support. If I drop the pressure, it bottoms out frequently, if I run proper psi, it’s like a 120-140mm bike. I can get full travel on big drops but it takes a serious Huck-to-flat.

YT suggests I add a token, drop the psi all while simultaneously acknowledging that the Float X2 is a better option. This makes me a bit grumpy as I think they should have stocked it like they did with the 650b. Am I alone? YT, X2 owners...thoughts? Anyone runnning this bike with a coil care to comment? I think the combo of a progressive shock and progressive kinematics result in a less than ideal setup.

Posted: Jun 25, 2018 at 15:42 Quote
Poulsbojohnny wrote:
Post your Capra stuff here.

First off, thanks for pestering PB and getting this done. Don't you think we need to distinguish the Capra 27.5 and Capra 29 threads? Just like the separate Jeffsy threads. What do you think?

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 7:29 Quote
I think you are right! Not being a Capra guy, I hadn't realized that there were two wheel sizes. Feel free to start any threads you like. I just threw these up to get things going. Smile

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 8:12 Quote
Good to know!

I wanted to buy the same bike as you but as I can't have a seat on any of those 29er, I think I'll just go with the alloy one as I don't know about that xl ultra long wheelbase and could get a large one soon enough. I'm 6foot 1 but the reach is the same as my bike, a little more stack, etc so I may take a chance with the large. :S

Maybe it will be better with the Rock Shox shock... I hope! Frown

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 13:24 Quote
Poulsbojohnny wrote:
I think you are right! Not being a Capra guy, I hadn't realized that there were two wheel sizes. Feel free to start any threads you like. I just threw these up to get things going. Smile

Thanks.

Posted: Jul 4, 2018 at 20:04 Quote
Timo82 wrote:
Good to know!

I wanted to buy the same bike as you but as I can't have a seat on any of those 29er, I think I'll just go with the alloy one as I don't know about that xl ultra long wheelbase and could get a large one soon enough. I'm 6foot 1 but the reach is the same as my bike, a little more stack, etc so I may take a chance with the large. :S

Did you end up ordering something? With the money saved on that model you could buy an X2 or even a Push. As for fit, I’m 5’9” and the large fits me well. I have a 30” inseam. The 40mm stem makes for a proper feel.

Posted: Jul 6, 2018 at 11:05 Quote
Check out the latest issue (#34) of Enduro Mountainbike magazine. They tested 8 enduro bikes and the best in the test — YT Capra 29

Posted: Jul 7, 2018 at 0:47 Quote
I agree with you guys on the shock.
I weight 73 kg and have to run 250 psi and 8 out of 9 clicks of lsc to not be bottoming out all the time
Had a look at the shock and it only takes one token. There are multiple sizes and you have to chose the proper ones. Just didn't do it yet as its like 30 euros for 4 or 5 pieces of plastic

Posted: Jul 7, 2018 at 22:22 Quote
Timo82 wrote:
Good to know!

At 176cm I always went with M frames, this time with the 29cf pro race I decided to go with L thanks to low standover and I couldn' go for better. Wheelbase is 7cm longer than my previous M scott genius, reach is 4cm longer, i feel a lot more comfortable on this bike both on climbs and downs. At your height i highly suggest you an XL. At least try to seat on a bike that has similar geo, such as hightower LT.
Bye

Posted: Jul 8, 2018 at 0:04 Quote
Anyone notice a lot of stiction with the Lyrik? My Lyrik R has a lot of stiction. I can put a fair amount of weight on it before it'll finally release. I did a lower leg service on it this evening and the foam rings were pretty dry. It also didn't look like 10mm of fluid when I opened it up. 10mm is such a small amount so it very well could've been.

So I completed the lower leg service and still lots of stiction. its definitely better, but definitely still there. I don't notice it on the trail, only when I was trying to set sag. Maybe its not a big deal. Any suggestions on how to get around it?

Posted: Jul 8, 2018 at 18:43 Quote
ryan83 wrote:
195lb aggressive Capra CF Pro 29er owner here.

I’m not loving the rear DPX2. It’s good for climbing and intermediate trails but when things get fast and chunky (most of my trails), it’s lacking mid-stroke support. If I drop the pressure, it bottoms out frequently, if I run proper psi, it’s like a 120-140mm bike. I can get full travel on big drops but it takes a serious Huck-to-flat.

YT suggests I add a token, drop the psi all while simultaneously acknowledging that the Float X2 is a better option. This makes me a bit grumpy as I think they should have stocked it like they did with the 650b. Am I alone? YT, X2 owners...thoughts? Anyone runnning this bike with a coil care to comment? I think the combo of a progressive shock and progressive kinematics result in a less than ideal setup.

Others having similar experience, especially bigger guys...

http://forums.mtbr.com/yt/2018-yt-capra-29-a-1068413-7.html

The leverage ratio starts really high and goes to very low (progressive), so for heavy duty trail you either run a lot of sag (33%+) and probably don't climb as well, or run a typical sag (25-30%) and don't use full travel unless big hits/park (all assuming a progressive air shock).

http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/2018/02/young-talent-capra-29-2018.html

A spacer won't effect your sag much and will make the shock more progressive, so I am unsure how that would help. The DPX2 I had came with the blue (second to largest?) volume spacer so I took that out immediately so it would be more linear.

Then you can put in more pressure (less sag) but with less progression get about the same travel. Maybe start with that? Takes 5 minutes to try.

A lot of discussion with bigger guys finding similar to you. The benefit of a coil would be that your sag is independent of your spring rate (within a range of X turns of preload) and it is linear so not as multiplicative with the leverage curve of the bike as an air shock. Unclear if X2 with no spacers can achieve the same (make very linear, not sure can get as linear as a coil). Another consideration with the initial high leverage ratio is many guys up near 300 PSI with the DPX2 and with the X2 max is 300PSI (2019) or 250PSI (earlier model limit). I just got my Capra 29 but have following that thread closely and am looking hard at at coil.

Update: Very happy with DHX2.

Posted: Jul 8, 2018 at 22:31 Quote
Hi. New 29 xl carbon (non pro) frame coming this week. Need to spec a shock, any ideas? I'm 76kgs

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 2:44 Quote
Hi All,

I'd just briefly like to share my findings and address frequent issues that have been raised like BB height, saddle, rear travel etc.

So, Capra 29 AL Comp. straight out the box, set sag front and rear (approx 25% & 30%), rebound 2-3 clicks (toward slow) from middle. A good starting point. I weigh around 90kg, 200lbs when riding. Thats it, all I touched. Low setting.

First ride- up and down Snowdon, 13 miles 3,500 feet of climbing. Rocks all the way, some very technical sections. Left the shock open for traction. So- only 1 or 2 pedal strikes, nothing you wouldn't expect. The BB is not too low. No way. Saddle- for a new saddle no complaints. Climbs- like a goat! It will never win any KOMS but neither will I. For a 160 travel bike I have absolutely no complaints. E13 cassette- shifts nicely, reckon it will be a real work horse and I suspect less temperamental than the Eagle. However, I think I invest in a 30T to go on the front for similar rides (no need for normal trail riding).

On the way down- awesome. supportive, poppy and just eats rocks and drops for breakfast. Not the fastest descent as loads of loose scree and rocks, with some really technical sections but still managed around 85% full travel front and rear.

I was quite amazed it rode so well given I had no set up time what so ever.

Day 2- trail centre. First thing I did was check the rear sag and added pressure- just under 30% sag. Lots of forest road climbs linking some pretty fun down hill section- drops, table tops, gaps jumps etc. The first road climbs were- boring. I used the shock lock-out and virtually no bob. I would have no hesitation doing long rides on this bike at all.

The fun down hill bits- awesome. fast, stiff, well damped, supportive. It's a monster truck but with pop. Loves to get air. At the end of a 3 hour ride I had about 5mm travel left on the shock shaft.

Day 3- a 15 mile mixed ride, a bit of road, a play of down hill tracks and also some really fast, drag race type rocky bridle way sections. I added a couple of clicks of damping from and rear which helped stop the chatter on the rocky downhill bits and improved the ride. Down hill tracks were awesome, it just floats over the bumps etc. I've never ridden a DH bike but can't imagine it would be significantly better, not at my level anyway. 4-5mm of shock shaft unused. Once again the bike pedalled surprisingly well.

In conclusion- pedal strikes/BB height was not a problem at all. However, I'm used to riding a Whyte with a 332mm BB so maybe I'm used to it. But, you just adapt your riding style. Saddle- no complaints. Shock travel- no complaints. However, I will check to see if there are any volume spacers in the RS shock. Whilst I'm more than happy with the bike already, I am curious as to how awesome it can be once I've spent a bit of time tuning it.

would I recommend the bike? Too right, without hesitation. the only complaint- no water bottle mount. But just stop at the pub instead.

Cheers.

Posted: Jul 9, 2018 at 4:44 Quote
How does everybody like the TRS tires and wheels? I’m looking at the Capra CF and haven’t seen any real feedback or reviews on the wheel set, and the consensus seems to be the tires are grippy but roll like pigs.any feedback would be great, thanks.

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.016711
Mobile Version of Website