Capra 29 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Capra 29 Thread
Posted: Feb 28, 2019 at 3:22 Quote
stoo61 wrote:
A warm February means Fort William is open for bikes already! Sure you could watch Minnaar or Bruni or even Claudio batter down the World Cup track, making it look all smooth and easy but then what are you learning? Yesterday I hit every hole, rarely rode on the right line and bottled out of pretty much ever jump or gap on my Capra 29....like a normal human being! Big Grin

Views: 465    Faves: 0    Comments: 4

I assume the Gondela is shut to bikes just now, did you bike up to the top?

Posted: Feb 28, 2019 at 3:26 Quote
LUCKYMULLEN wrote:
stoo61 wrote:
A warm February means Fort William is open for bikes already! Sure you could watch Minnaar or Bruni or even Claudio batter down the World Cup track, making it look all smooth and easy but then what are you learning? Yesterday I hit every hole, rarely rode on the right line and bottled out of pretty much ever jump or gap on my Capra 29....like a normal human being! Big Grin

Views: 465    Faves: 0    Comments: 4

I assume the Gondela is shut to bikes just now, did you bike up to the top?

You assume wrong my good man! Open to bikes Glencoe uplift won't be far behind.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 0:49 Quote
Has anyone here had the previous gen. capra 27.5? How does it compare to the new 29er?

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 1:19 Quote
iuuumm wrote:
Has anyone here had the previous gen. capra 27.5? How does it compare to the new 29er?

Ive gone from the 2016 Pro Race (27.5) to the 2018 Pro Race (29) both in Large.

Right off the bat I was thrown a wee bit by the geometry change, the 29 somehow felt a lot shorter, I felt over the bars a lot more and I panicked a little bit about the frame size choice. However, I have since got used to it and it feels very good.

On the downhills the 29 is very very good, can tackle much steeper, rougher terrain at higher speeds. I wondered if the big wheels would feel cumbersome but not at all, I feel no difference.

The up hills are more of a slog, 29 wheels with 170 front and rear make it a massive bike but I haven't had it in "high mode" yet so that may improve. I have definitely found it a lot more of a struggle up hill than the 2016.

Had the greatest mountain bike moments of my life on the 2016 Capra...probably still the best all round bike I have owned, even over the new 29'er.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 1:28 Quote
stoo61 wrote:
iuuumm wrote:

Right off the bat I was thrown a wee bit by the geometry change, the 29 somehow felt a lot shorter, I felt over the bars a lot more and I panicked a little bit about the frame size choice. However, I have since got used to it and it feels very good.

On the downhills the 29 is very very good, can tackle much steeper, rougher terrain at higher speeds. I wondered if the big wheels would feel cumbersome but not at all, I feel no difference.

The up hills are more of a slog, 29 wheels with 170 front and rear make it a massive bike but I haven't had it in "high mode" yet so that may improve. I have definitely found it a lot more of a struggle up hill than the 2016.

Had the greatest mountain bike moments of my life on the 2016 Capra...probably still the best all round bike I have owned, even over the new 29'er.

Thank you. I'm not worried so much about the up hills, (my current capra is built like a tank: 180mm front + coil on the rear + proper DH tyres), I'm more worried about the downhills.
I don't want a bike that feels too much like a monster truck.
By the way both bikes look great.

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 1:59 Quote
iuuumm wrote:
stoo61 wrote:
iuuumm wrote:

Thank you. I'm not worried so much about the up hills, (my current capra is built like a tank: 180mm front + coil on the rear + proper DH tyres), I'm more worried about the downhills.
I don't want a bike that feels too much like a monster truck.
By the way both bikes look great.

I can only speculate but if I had got an XL I think I could ride it well but more monster truckish, the large is a bit more pin point. Just my opinion tho! Smile

Posted: Mar 1, 2019 at 15:58 Quote
dchardy wrote:
Does anyone know what the maximum inertion is for the Capra 29 large, I want to swap the dropper for a bike yoke revive 185mm and need 289mm in the frame for reference a 150mm rs reverb is 290mm fully inserted inc cable

I have a OneUp 170 on my large. It’s pretty long.

Posted: Mar 2, 2019 at 3:29 Quote
MntnMan wrote:
dchardy wrote:
Does anyone know what the maximum inertion is for the Capra 29 large, I want to swap the dropper for a bike yoke revive 185mm and need 289mm in the frame for reference a 150mm rs reverb is 290mm fully inserted inc cable

I have a OneUp 170 on my large. It’s pretty long.

Thanks

Posted: Mar 2, 2019 at 16:50 Quote
kwapik wrote:
Poulsbojohnny wrote:
I think you are right! Not being a Capra guy, I hadn't realized that there were two wheel sizes. Feel free to start any threads you like. I just threw these up to get things going. Smile

Thanks.
just got pro race 29 Capra and it is by far most capable bike I’ve ever owed. Wonder if anyone has put push 11-6 on one

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 7:15 Quote
Capra 29 AL base vs. Capra 29 AL Comp

Hey all, sorry if this has been discussed before. I'm deciding which one to go for; can anyone weigh in on which one to get based on experience with the components? I know the Comp has better components, but can you tell 'that' much how better they are? Would the AL base leave me wishing I got the comp or do you think the components it has are completely adequate?

I plan on going to an event in May where I can test the Jeffsy and the Capra before I decide to spend money.

Additionally, I find myself in the middle of the range between L and XL. I'm 6'2" and have a 34" inseam. Any guidance on which way to go?

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 14:21 Quote
Jammer11bg wrote:

Hey all, sorry if this has been discussed before. I'm deciding which one to go for; can anyone weigh in on which one to get based on experience with the components? I know the Comp has better components, but can you tell 'that' much how better they are? Would the AL base leave me wishing I got the comp or do you think the components it has are completely adequate?

I plan on going to an event in May where I can test the Jeffsy and the Capra before I decide to spend money.

Additionally, I find myself in the middle of the range between L and XL. I'm 6'2" and have a 34" inseam. Any guidance on which way to go?

For me, the biggest difference between the two is the suspension. The AL Comp does give you a more adjustable suspension over the AL model. As far as you noticing it, that all depends on your experience. Do you prefer Fox or Rockshox? Do you like being able to fiddle around and adjust your suspension, then get the AL Comp. If you prefer to set it and forget it, get the AL.

All the other component differences depend on what brands you prefer. Both models will get the job done and work great. Then there's the difference in price. Only you can decide these things.

With your measurements, I'd go with XL.

Posted: Mar 6, 2019 at 16:40 Quote
kwapik wrote:
Jammer11bg wrote:

For me, the biggest difference between the two is the suspension. The AL Comp does give you a more adjustable suspension over the AL model. As far as you noticing it, that all depends on your experience. Do you prefer Fox or Rockshox? Do you like being able to fiddle around and adjust your suspension, then get the AL Comp. If you prefer to set it and forget it, get the AL.

All the other component differences depend on what brands you prefer. Both models will get the job done and work great. Then there's the difference in price. Only you can decide these things.

Hmm I honestly don't have enough experience/history to have an opinion on suspension. This will be my first FS bike and I'm just really getting into it this spring. Had to sit out most of last year due to a back injury.

I do hyper-analyze everything and like to tinker so maybe I should just fork out the extra money. I am fully prepared to go for the Comp, just wanted some other opinions. Thanks for the feedback.

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 at 0:58 Quote
Jammer11bg wrote:
kwapik wrote:
Jammer11bg wrote:

Hmm I honestly don't have enough experience/history to have an opinion on suspension. This will be my first FS bike and I'm just really getting into it this spring. Had to sit out most of last year due to a back injury.

I do hyper-analyze everything and like to tinker so maybe I should just fork out the extra money. I am fully prepared to go for the Comp, just wanted some other opinions. Thanks for the feedback.
go for the better one, it came with fox suspension witch is far superior than rs
the diference is not that much, and if you buy the lower spec one and want to upgrade you will have to spend more than that diference

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 at 7:21 Quote
tiagomano wrote:
Jammer11bg wrote:
kwapik wrote:

go for the better one, it came with fox suspension witch is far superior than rs
the diference is not that much, and if you buy the lower spec one and want to upgrade you will have to spend more than that diference

Ok cool, thanks. As far as BB drop goes, have you had any issues with pedal strikes when the flip-chip is in the high position? I live on the east coast and have plenty of roots and rocks on my local trails. I'm right around 200 lbs so I'm sure I'll have some suspension sag.

Posted: Mar 7, 2019 at 11:01 Quote
Re: pedal strikes in high.. I am 200-210 ish depending on the day, I ride in high by default for trails, only shift to low for park. I live in Ringwood NJ, notoriously rocky and rough, very similar to the rest of the north east. Pedal strikes are a reality, but not bad. They were much worse on my Nomad 3. I think it also has to do with the 170mm crank arms.

Ok cool, thanks. As far as BB drop goes, have you had any issues with pedal strikes when the flip-chip is in the high position? I live on the east coast and have plenty of roots and rocks on my local trails. I'm right around 200 lbs so I'm sure I'll have some suspension sag.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.027166
Mobile Version of Website