Capra 29 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Capra 29 Thread
Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 1:35 Quote
wowbagger wrote:
mikaeljc wrote:
wowbagger wrote:
Hey guys, quick question:
coming from a MK1 Jeffsy 29 M size, height is 5.10 with crazy short legs (80ish inseam). Couldn't go L on Jeff for the seattube but ended up loving the nimbleness.
Now the Capra 29 is already longer but YT tell me I'm right between L and XL for my size??
XL is completely out of question but I'm torn between M and L.
What's your takes on that?

The Capra has a pretty short seat tube compared to the reach. The ST-length on the L is only 445mm. I am 185 cm and ride the large. With the correct seat height I have 70mm of exposed seat post above the ST. The size L would be no problem for you.

I went for the L instead of the recommended XL so that it would be a bit more nimble since I already have a long and slack DH bike for lift assisted riding. If the Capra was my only bike I would definitely have sized up.

Cheers!
So the seattube on L is actually 5mm lower than on my M Jeffsy which is a plus (although on M I could run a 170mm post..)
How about nimbleness then? I'd hate to lose out on that one, the wheelbase of the L Capra is quite bit longer..

I would not call the Capra nimble. If that is your priority I would look at the MK2 Jeffsy instead.

Posted: Apr 18, 2019 at 2:03 Quote
mikaeljc wrote:
wowbagger wrote:
mikaeljc wrote:

The Capra has a pretty short seat tube compared to the reach. The ST-length on the L is only 445mm. I am 185 cm and ride the large. With the correct seat height I have 70mm of exposed seat post above the ST. The size L would be no problem for you.

I went for the L instead of the recommended XL so that it would be a bit more nimble since I already have a long and slack DH bike for lift assisted riding. If the Capra was my only bike I would definitely have sized up.

Cheers!
So the seattube on L is actually 5mm lower than on my M Jeffsy which is a plus (although on M I could run a 170mm post..)
How about nimbleness then? I'd hate to lose out on that one, the wheelbase of the L Capra is quite bit longer..

I would not call the Capra nimble. If that is your priority I would look at the MK2 Jeffsy instead.

That is the kind of straight talk i was hoping for - thanks and see you guys, was a pleasure, albeit a short one Big Grin ride on!

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 14:11 Quote
I think the Capra is pretty nimble in high mode. It'll also still be slacker than the jeffsy

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 9:38 Quote
I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised by how nimble the Capra is. I went from an XL 2017 AL Jeffsy 29 to an XL 2019 AL Capra 29. After getting used to it over the first few rides, I don’t notice any real difference between the two on tight single track, climbing or descending. Pumping on flow trails takes a bit more effort, but I’m still able to maintain speed, and I’m gaping sections I’ve never even considered. Lastly, I actually find the Capra’s handling more intuitive, so I’m having an easier time leaning the bike over and throwing the bike around aggressively in tight/fast corners. Obviously, ymmv, but I feel like going to the Capra has been all upside, no downside for what and how I ride, which includes a fair amount of flow/jump trails.

Posted: Apr 21, 2019 at 4:02 Quote
I am in your camp, got the Capra 29 last August, switched from a Nomad 3. I also currently ride an Ibis Ripley LS.

I do not feel in any way that the Capra is inferior to either. Ripley is a faster climber (not better). But the Capra 29 is just so close to being the perfect bike. I find it to be agile and playful, competent and capable and most important confidence inspiring.

It rides really nicely on switchback, tight turns, you name it. It is just a really well designed bike from the perspective of both how it rides and how versatile it is.

jbess001 wrote:
I’ve actually been pleasantly surprised by how nimble the Capra is. I went from an XL 2017 AL Jeffsy 29 to an XL 2019 AL Capra 29. After getting used to it over the first few rides, I don’t notice any real difference between the two on tight single track, climbing or descending. Pumping on flow trails takes a bit more effort, but I’m still able to maintain speed, and I’m gaping sections I’ve never even considered. Lastly, I actually find the Capra’s handling more intuitive, so I’m having an easier time leaning the bike over and throwing the bike around aggressively in tight/fast corners. Obviously, ymmv, but I feel like going to the Capra has been all upside, no downside for what and how I ride, which includes a fair amount of flow/jump trails.

Posted: Apr 27, 2019 at 8:39 Quote
Odin17 wrote:
Hey today I put in a warranty claim for my bottom bracket. After taking it to a bike shop and having them repress my bottom bracket I was told the frame is not square. Not really sure how to post pics. Also pretty bummed I found it in April as riding season starts.
Could you put some pictures and if yt have you given any solution?
Did you have any "clonck" noise?

Posted: Apr 27, 2019 at 10:35 Quote
Built up my XL Capra 29 after cracking an NS Snabb. Transferred most of the parts over but had to get the new Ohlins shock for it!

I'm considering putting a dual crown fork on it but I enjoy the low offset fork on it now and all the 29er dual crown forks at the moment have huge offsets

Posted: Apr 27, 2019 at 13:00 Quote
liamhutch89 wrote:
Built up my XL Capra 29 after cracking an NS Snabb. Transferred most of the parts over but had to get the new Ohlins shock for it!

I'm considering putting a dual crown fork on it but I enjoy the low offset fork on it now and all the 29er dual crown forks at the moment have huge offsets
You really think you could feel the difference I a blind test on the offset?
Nice build though!

Posted: Apr 27, 2019 at 15:18 Quote
mikaeljc wrote:
You really think you could feel the difference I a blind test on the offset?
Nice build though!

Maybe i'm drinking the kool aid but on paper it just makes sense - especially when going to the even longer travel of a dual crown for the same A-C, I don't want it tucking on me.

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 10:16 Quote
Hi guys, consiering the last ews and world cup dh results, have any of you tried to put a 27,5 wheel at the back of your capra 29 ? Compared to the low position in 29er, it should lower the bb of 3 mm and slacken the angles of about 0,2°, so I tought it could work pretty well...

Posted: Apr 28, 2019 at 11:11 Quote
Gui73 wrote:
Hi guys, consiering the last ews and world cup dh results, have any of you tried to put a 27,5 wheel at the back of your capra 29 ? Compared to the low position in 29er, it should lower the bb of 3 mm and slacken the angles of about 0,2°, so I tought it could work pretty well...

Friend of mine gave his Jeffsy a mullet, works really well for him, helps it get around tight corners better.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 11:37 Quote
Gui73 wrote:

The bike is already super low as it is. I couldn't imagine it being any lower, even if it's 3mm. You'd probably have to run it in the high position all the time and get the steeper angle. I get enough pedal strikes already...

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 12:50 Quote
Have any of you guys with the 2018 capras that come with the e13 cassettes had issues with the cassette being able to move on its axle? I dropped a chain and noticed i can move the cassete on its axle a good amount. The pinch bolt is at torque spec. Getting a replacement from e13 (awesome customer service by the way) but worried that it will just happen again.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 13:27 Quote
justinmariano wrote:
Gui73 wrote:

The bike is already super low as it is. I couldn't imagine it being any lower, even if it's 3mm. You'd probably have to run it in the high position all the time and get the steeper angle. I get enough pedal strikes already...

Well not super low, at 348 in the low position, 3mm lower will not be a an issue.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 at 21:09 Quote
Having trouble with the e13 dropper. Thing won’t lock into the top position over half of the times I use it. I have to pull the saddle up to get it to lock into place. Only about 10 rides on the bike. Anybody else had this issue? I’ve heard very negative reviews about this dropper.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.009638
Mobile Version of Website