Capra 29 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Capra 29 Thread
Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 8:52 Quote
I've never heard of a brand "refund" a bike.. If your frame cracked you should get a new frame or get a discount from YT. Sucks that you have to wait this long but I guess that's the negative of online bikes.

Posted: Aug 10, 2019 at 11:13 Quote
tomomlw wrote:
Hello! Has anyone had any luck getting a refund out of YT?! Any tips appreciated. My 3 month old Capra Pro Race has cracked and their quoting over 2 months for a fix (this keeps slipping too) so I'm trying to get a refund but they wont budge on it. If anyone else has gone through the same pain successfully I'd love to hear from you.

Let's see some pictures of the damage!

Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 13:45 Quote
Just curious if anyone else is left a little disappointed with their Capra 29. I was super excited to get the bike but I have never felt super comfortable on it. In particular I feel like the rear end is harsh on high speed small events. The rear end ends up skipping around quite a bit and I find myself struggling for traction. Does anybody have similar feedback or something else they wish was different about the bike?

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 0:28 Quote
bobjerg wrote:
Just curious if anyone else is left a little disappointed with their Capra 29. I was super excited to get the bike but I have never felt super comfortable on it. In particular I feel like the rear end is harsh on high speed small events. The rear end ends up skipping around quite a bit and I find myself struggling for traction. Does anybody have similar feedback or something else they wish was different about the bike?

I could agree that it is not plushest bike out there. Oddly I find the back end more compliant on small high speed bumps when increasing the pressure to a sag of 22-25% on the shock (equals around 35% sag on back wheel travel). The bike is really progressive and when running more sag (30-35%) I find that I kind of hit a “wall” of progression but still bottom out to easy on big stuff. That is just my finding, and I don’t know if anyone else agrees.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 4:59 Quote
bobjerg wrote:

I was until I put a coil on it. In my opinion any air shock except maybe the X2 (because you can tune HSC) is too progressive for the already progressive frame. This is worse for heavier riders. I put on a CC DB Coil CS, dialed back the HSC and it’s amazing.

The other thing to think about is that a more progressive rate is better for higher speed, aggressive riding. If your trails aren’t always fast with high speed hits it may be too much bike. On slower tech stuff I find it fine but it’s when speed picks up that I appreciate not finding the bottom 10% of my travel easily.

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 7:37 Quote
Anyone know if the 29er is due for a redesign this year? or just a color refresh?

Posted: Aug 21, 2019 at 10:32 Quote
Habaden wrote:
Anyone know if the 29er is due for a redesign this year? or just a color refresh?

The Capra was redesigned 2 years ago, so there will just be a color/components refresh in 2020

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 11:38 Quote
Anyone here experimented with Dual Crown Forks on their capra? I usually ride a 27" tues in the bike park and a capra 29" on the trail, but this last weekend I tried out the capra in the bike park and was blown away at how good it felt. I am now curious as to how the capra would feel with a Fox 49 or Boxxer 29 on the front (probably at 190m travel).

Posted: Aug 29, 2019 at 22:34 Quote
Quite a few have done it. Here's one from the other Capra thread:

Posted: Aug 30, 2019 at 9:47 Quote
kwapik wrote:
Quite a few have done it. Here's one from the other Capra thread:

I guess what I’m really wondering is from a technical aspect if there were any changes that had to be made to fit the fork. Do you have to swap the headset? I know the fox 36 on the bike has a tapered steerer tube, and as far as I can find on google, most of the dual crown forks are straight steerer tubes.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 5:55 Quote
Would you guys recommend a Medium or Large for someone who is 174cm (5'8")? I feel like the large would be more stable for racing but i'm not sure. I've never rode a bike that big.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 6:23 Quote
Habaden wrote:
Would you guys recommend a Medium or Large for someone who is 174cm (5'8")? I feel like the large would be more stable for racing but i'm not sure. I've never rode a bike that big.

I’m the same height and went with a large. I think it feels great

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 6:29 Quote
InstantBreakfast wrote:
Habaden wrote:

Awesome thank you, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on that alu LTD..

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 9:24 Quote
Habaden wrote:
InstantBreakfast wrote:
Habaden wrote:

Awesome thank you, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on that alu LTD..

Do it now! The question about sizing is interesting and preference at your height. I’m 5’9 with a 30” inseam and have a large. There are times (slow tech) when I would rather have a shorter bike and others when I’m happy I have a big bike. More playful? Go medium. More race/speed? Go large. If you have places to ride fast descents for sustained periods I’d go large. You won’t go wrong either way but I’d consider myself to be the shortest end of a large. If I were you, I’d go medium.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
ryan83 wrote:

Do it now! The question about sizing is interesting and preference at your height. I’m 5’9 with a 30” inseam and have a large. There are times (slow tech) when I would rather have a shorter bike and others when I’m happy I have a big bike. More playful? Go medium. More race/speed? Go large. If you have places to ride fast descents for sustained periods I’d go large. You won’t go wrong either way but I’d consider myself to be the shortest end of a large. If I were you, I’d go medium.

Have you tried it in high mode? I think the bike is much better in slow tech in high mode. I rode last year in low mode and this year in high mode. I don't think i've given up much, but gained ground clearance, better climbing, and faster steering. There's been one trail where I wished I had been in low mode. That was also the first ride in high mode. I think if I went back now, i wouldn't miss anything.

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010937
Mobile Version of Website