Capra 29 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Capra 29 Thread
Posted: Dec 16, 2019 at 1:11 Quote
Going to be ordering a Capra 29 Pro race in a day or two.

I’m not a huge fan of the Ethiteen tires.

Any recommendations for tires? I like in St. George Utah. Very dusty and rocky on most trails.
Will go to bike parks in Brianhead and park city a few times a year. Which are also rocky and dusty.
Hopefully not terrible rolling resistance.
Thanks.

Posted: Dec 22, 2019 at 22:54 Quote
What are your guys' thoughts on the Capra as a trail bike? How bad of an idea is this? I've been thinking of getting a long travel bike to compliment my short travel bike. The Capra is more than I need for around here, but it keeps calling me. Thoughts?

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 3:57 Quote
richulr wrote:
What are your guys' thoughts on the Capra as a trail bike? How bad of an idea is this? I've been thinking of getting a long travel bike to compliment my short travel bike. The Capra is more than I need for around here, but it keeps calling me. Thoughts?

I was in the same situation. I now use it for trail, enduro/or whatever, downhill and even dirt jump. It's the first bike that I notice a big difference between the low and high settings. In the high it feels like a trail bike and the low is very low (for me). I don't regret it at all. I now own the Capra 29 and a hardtail. Pretty good quiver for me

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 5:41 Quote
Well put, in high setting a solid trail bike. I ride the Capra 29 and a Ripley LS. Quiver is set.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 6:17 Quote
richulr wrote:

STL native here, currently in Denver. Learned to ride at Castlewood and Chubb! I know you own a trail bike already but depending what that is, you may consider the Jeffsy. I now own a Jeffsy (cf pro race 29) and Capra (cf pro 29 converted to 170) and the former is way more fun on almost everything. The Capra is highly capable but is really designed for big, burly descents. Its most happy at high speed riding through chunky trails for long periods of time. Everything else is honestly a bit boring (I mean, mountain biking is fun relative to anything regardless). Although it climbs OK, it’s not fantastic for rolling trails where there’s lots of ups and down. The Jeffsy is lighter and just feels more poppy but doesn’t really hold you back when you need an aggressive bike. My 2 cents.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 12:31 Quote
richulr wrote:

Recently bought a Capra 29 to add to my shorter travel Trance 29 trail bike as I was regularly maxing out the suspension of the Trance on bigger features. After a few weeks on the Capra (including trips to Arkansas on both bikes), I sold the Trance and the Capra is now my main ride. Zero regrets. Hardly any pedal bob on climbs and is a beast everywhere else on the trail. The Jeffsy is a good option as well, but I've ridden both and prefer the Capra. ymmv.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 13:45 Quote
richulr wrote:

I use my capra (29 pro race) for all riding that’s not at the bike park ( it would do that just fine too, but i ride a dh bike at the park). My local trails are pretty mellow and pedally but the Capra does just fine. I even used it for a local XC race a month ago and got second. It doesn’t conceal its size, it feels like I’m riding a big bike that’s ready to crush some boulders, but it is so capable and actually quite comfortable (as long as you swap out the stock saddle Wink ). I love it

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 at 14:05 Quote
It will be interesting to see what happens with the new AL Jeffsy coming out, but the build on that AL Capra is fantastic. I like slack bikes and have ridden longer travel bikes on our game trails and haven't been bothered by them.

Hope Denver goes well Ryan83. Thanks for the replies guys. Nice to hear from those who have ridden them.

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 at 16:10 Quote
I've ridden some long travel bikes on our yamer trails and liked them. Process 153 is fantastic. Demoed a 429 Trail and a Firebird back to back and liked the Firebird a lot more. I didnt know if the Capra also had good trail manners or if it's just downhill only. I appreciate everyone's impressions.

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 at 18:17 Quote
richulr wrote:
I've ridden some long travel bikes on our yamer trails and liked them. Process 153 is fantastic. Demoed a 429 Trail and a Firebird back to back and liked the Firebird a lot more. I didnt know if the Capra also had good trail manners or if it's just downhill only. I appreciate everyone's impressions.
Well, personally, I use my capra as my do it all bike. And all I can tell you is that I am not disappointed by it one bit. I spent many years having only downhill bikes and considering that, maybe my perspective isn't the best to go by. But I do feel like the capra truely is a do it all bike with very good downhill capabilities and tolerable climbing abilities. The weight may be a let down if you want something super light though.

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 at 22:11 Quote
I've only had heavy bikes. I'm no lightweight either.

Posted: Dec 25, 2019 at 5:25 Quote
richulr wrote:

Capra and Process 153 are of the same vein. Wheelbase and geometry are very close. Suspension design on the Capra tends to be a bit more progressive than the Kona, but I actually prefer that.
If you like the Process, you'll like the Capra. They were my two finalists. The Capra won out from a parts spec to cost perspective.

Posted: Dec 26, 2019 at 18:38 Quote
It can be a good all around bike. I ride mine in the high mode most of the time. didn't feel any loss in performance but gained a noticeable amount in climbing and handling.

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 11:00 Quote
I use high setting as default. I only put it in low for shuttle and lift. The reach shrinks in low though, so I'm not sure it actually is a better decender in low except for the placebo effect of a half degree of slacker head angle.

Posted: Dec 27, 2019 at 13:09 Quote
Lol, the placebo works both ways. We think it's a better climber in high mode. Could be the same.

Whether placebo or not, it works for me!

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005598
Mobile Version of Website