Capra 29 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Capra 29 Thread
O+
Posted: Jan 15, 2020 at 20:01 Quote
Looking for some opinions, I received a new-to-me/brand new take off (via PB classifieds) Marzocchi Z1 yesterday, and then was super stoked on the coil conversion news. I purchased this prior to ordering and receiving a Capra 29 during the holiday sales when I was considering building up a different bike for the season, got a great deal on the fork but the seller had some things that delayed delivery.
So now I've got a new Capra 29 CF Pro (red colorway) with the 160mm Lyrik RC2 in the garage and a 170mm Z1 sitting on the workbench. It's the red Z1 lowers, which does look good, but also maybe, probably, too much red. I'm torn on what to do, I can re-sell the Z1 and likely easily recoup my money. I can put the Z1 on the Capra, but probably never get "Seeing Red" by Minor Threat out of my head. I'd then either sell the Lyrik as a new take off, or put the 160mm Lyrik on my MK1 Jeffsy 29 in prep for selling that (and as a sales point, new Lyrik fork) and take the 150mm Pike currently on the Jeffsy and set that aside for a future project that I really want to build (a HT Guerilla Gravity Pedalhead). If I keep the Lyrik I'll be increasing the travel to at least 170mm after a little bit or when the lowers are due for service.
IDK, analysis paralysis. I'll likely keep the Lyrik, since I think it is the better fork but there's a part of me that does want to run a Z1, likely just nostalgia. What would you do?

Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 1:41 Quote
Putting a red Lyrik on a Capra CF Pro was something I thought about recently, after I saw Sam Hill's Ferrari Mega 290. I think the matching fork looks really cool, and not just in red. It's something I think more manufacturers would do if it wasn't prohibitively expensive. As it is, they just slap on a black fork and try to colour match the stickers in most cases.

Just put it on and have a look, what have you got to lose? If you like the look, keep it. If not, take it off and sell it.

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 12:51 Quote
jaame wrote:
Putting a red Lyrik on a Capra CF Pro was something I thought about recently, after I saw Sam Hill's Ferrari Mega 290.
ooohhh yeah https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-check-sam-hills-ferrari-themed-carbon-mega-290-trophy-of-nations-finale-ligure-2019.html
I'll put it on this evening after work to get a better idea of looks, since that's what really matters Wink

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2020 at 14:08 Quote
azinwood wrote:
Been running mullet for the past two months on a limited capra 29. Working great.

I think before, the bike felt a bit disconnected for me, yes fast, but preciseness was not there.

After the mullet (29/27) in the high setting (don't use low, too many pedal strikes) it feels like I have more control in the smaller, steeper, tighter trails that I ride here in the PNW. I'm going to keep this as is for awhile and then go back to the 29/29 to see which I like better.

Currently running DHF in 29x2.5 upfront and DHRII in 27.5x2.5 in the rear

photo

photo

Is that at Tokul?

Did you ride in high or low mode with 29/29? I ride mine in. High mode. For me and most of the trails I ride (tokul, tiger, raging) low mode made the steering sluggish. High mode steering felt faster and climbing felt better as well. Only really giving up performance to a handful of trails.

I've actually got a second bike with 27.5 wheels and the e13 cassette. It would be fun to give that a test ride.

O+
Posted: Jan 17, 2020 at 6:20 Quote
jojotherider1977 wrote:
azinwood wrote:
Been running mullet for the past two months on a limited capra 29. Working great.

I think before, the bike felt a bit disconnected for me, yes fast, but preciseness was not there.

After the mullet (29/27) in the high setting (don't use low, too many pedal strikes) it feels like I have more control in the smaller, steeper, tighter trails that I ride here in the PNW. I'm going to keep this as is for awhile and then go back to the 29/29 to see which I like better.

Currently running DHF in 29x2.5 upfront and DHRII in 27.5x2.5 in the rear

Is that at Tokul?

Did you ride in high or low mode with 29/29? I ride mine in. High mode. For me and most of the trails I ride (tokul, tiger, raging) low mode made the steering sluggish. High mode steering felt faster and climbing felt better as well. Only really giving up performance to a handful of trails.

I've actually got a second bike with 27.5 wheels and the e13 cassette. It would be fun to give that a test ride.

Yup! Tokul between ivans.

When i was in 29/29 i was in low. I'll have to try it in high to see how it does, it still is a beast to climb compared to my jeffsy.

O+
Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 11:36 Quote
jaame wrote:
Putting a red Lyrik on a Capra CF Pro was something I thought about recently, after I saw Sam Hill's Ferrari Mega 290. I think the matching fork looks really cool, and not just in red. It's something I think more manufacturers would do if it wasn't prohibitively expensive. As it is, they just slap on a black fork and try to colour match the stickers in most cases.

Just put it on and have a look, what have you got to lose? If you like the look, keep it. If not, take it off and sell it.

The reds are just barely different shades. Looks cool, but they're just different enough that it'll bug me. Bummer because it has a much longer steerer than the stock Lyrik so I would be able to run the bars a bit higher up, but my OCD about the slight difference in shade of red will forever haunt me. So with that I'll soon be posting a 170mm Marz Z1 air, 2019, never ridden w/ Kabolt for $600 (+ split shipping/paypal fees) if anyone is interested hit me up.

photo

photo

Posted: Jan 18, 2020 at 11:57 Quote
Oh right yours is the 2019. I thought it was a 2018 for some reason.
Anyway thanks for posting up pics. It would look amazing on a bright sunny day when your eyes were getting dazzled.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 6:14 Quote
My new '20 Capra 29er base

photo

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 6:29 Quote
Storz wrote:

photo

That didn't take long. Love the blue. Now send it! lol

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 9:13 Quote
Xlr8n wrote:
Storz wrote:

photo

That didn't take long. Love the blue. Now send it! lol

Nice! I really like that blue.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 10:49 Quote
X3 for the blue - I like it. $2300 buys you a such a good bike.

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 11:59 Quote
Storz wrote:

photo

Someone local to SE Michigan! You don't think the Capra is "too big" for the trails around here?

Posted: Jan 21, 2020 at 12:18 Quote
I’ve just got mine today as well. I’ve already put the 27er in at the back.

Damn it’s a heavy bike! 15.85kg in a large with Renthal bar and spank pedals.

Can’t wait to get out on it tomorrow.

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 6:57 Quote
derfernerf wrote:
Storz wrote:

photo

Someone local to SE Michigan! You don't think the Capra is "too big" for the trails around here?

I do actually, however I am moving to Boone NC in June Smile

Posted: Jan 22, 2020 at 11:40 Quote
Does anyone with Capra cf 29 2019 have problems with fissures and slacks in a frame?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014006
Mobile Version of Website