Capra 29 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Capra 29 Thread
Posted: Jan 11, 2021 at 21:33 Quote
LucasSeitz wrote:
I just bought my Capra a week ago.

Even though it's only one year old, I'm already it's third owner! It is kind of a special, I bet you didn't see this Capra on your local trails.

Here's a video I made about it:
https://youtu.be/Ur4AnT1D3JY

I see this YT Capra on my local trails everywhere I go. It’s like it’s follow me. Or maybe more like I am riding it.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
Going to try and put on a coil on my 2019 CF Pro 29. For those running coils, did anyone go with running lighter coils (Titanium, sprindex, SAR)?

What’s your experience and what would you recommend?

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 8:11 Quote
sidekicksjn wrote:
Has anyone manage to put a water bottle on their Capra. Was thinking of maybe a flexi flask and a velcro strap?

I saw a guy on IG with a 29 Capra and he mounted a small Fidlock bottle on the top tube.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 8:17 Quote
ASJ2010 wrote:
Going to try and put on a coil on my 2019 CF Pro 29. For those running coils, did anyone go with running lighter coils (Titanium, sprindex, SAR)?

I'm not sure if Sprindex is a lighter coil, I thought the benefits of it was primarily the spring rate adjustments. I'm running the DVO LS springs on my DVO Jade. No complaints. Keep in mind that not all dampers will fit all springs, specifically seeing your RS damper, I believe RS is one of the odd ones that you need a specific coil for. FWIW I was really close to ordering a Push hypercoil, https://www.pushindustries.com/collections/rear-shock-parts/products/elevensix-hypercoil-shock-spring, for my Jade, but ended up getting a really good deal on the DVO LS spring(s) on the buy/sell here.

CAPRA + COIL = AMAZING RIDE

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 8:52 Quote
chacou wrote:
ASJ2010 wrote:

I'm not sure if Sprindex is a lighter coil, I thought the benefits of it was primarily the spring rate adjustments. I'm running the DVO LS springs on my DVO Jade. No complaints. Keep in mind that not all dampers will fit all springs, specifically seeing your RS damper, I believe RS is one of the odd ones that you need a specific coil for. FWIW I was really close to ordering a Push hypercoil, https://www.pushindustries.com/collections/rear-shock-parts/products/elevensix-hypercoil-shock-spring, for my Jade, but ended up getting a really good deal on the DVO LS spring(s) on the buy/sell here.

CAPRA + COIL = AMAZING RIDE

I'm new to coils so still learning all about it. Cheers for the input!

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 9:26 Quote
ASJ2010 wrote:

Not on a Capra, but according to the guys at The Lost Co, the only springs that will fit the superdeluxe coil are rockshox and the MRP progressive spring with a special adaptor for the superdeluxe.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 15:13 Quote
ASJ2010 wrote:
Of course, lots of coil discussion here and in the other YT Capra forum. I run a slightly higher spring rate for my weight (~165-170lbs running a 500lbs spring) vs what a lot of the calculators say. I have a 2.5" 500lbs spring, 2.5" 450lbs spring, and a 3" 450lbs spring. I find that the 450lbs is just a bit too soft for pedaling anywhere and goes through the travel way too easily. The 500lbs spring offers just enough more support but still is super plush. This might just be personal preference but I find slightly "over springing" works well. I'd like to try a 550lbs spring even, and need to sell/trade the 3" 450lbs spring.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 17:07 Quote
Sprindex is not a “lightweight” coil, and I asked if they were going to make a lighter coil and maybe a silver one but the rep said no. He did say, and it might even be on their website, that the last 20% or so of the stroke was progressive.

Therefore, the ability to run a slightly
progressive coil that you can adjust the spring rate in a wide range that isn’t a “lightweight” spring.

I have it on on my Capra with a Storia Lok V3 now but I didn’t have it on before the parks closed, so no testing yet. I did use a stock EXT coil though with the chip set to LOW and the bike is amazing- I feel like I could be riding a Tues.

However I have been riding the same shock & Sprindex combo on my SB130 for a short spell and it backs up my pros & cons. The PUSH 11.6 & EXT shocks are so much better than the DPX2 I had on the Yeti but I must say I lost some pop for more smooth compliance in the rough, improved traction both ^ & v, and less
maintenance with a little weight penalty.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 at 22:47 Quote
chacou wrote:
ASJ2010 wrote:
Of course, lots of coil discussion here and in the other YT Capra forum. I run a slightly higher spring rate for my weight (~165-170lbs running a 500lbs spring) vs what a lot of the calculators say. I have a 2.5" 500lbs spring, 2.5" 450lbs spring, and a 3" 450lbs spring. I find that the 450lbs is just a bit too soft for pedaling anywhere and goes through the travel way too easily. The 500lbs spring offers just enough more support but still is super plush. This might just be personal preference but I find slightly "over springing" works well. I'd like to try a 550lbs spring even, and need to sell/trade the 3" 450lbs spring.

Thankfully I have a buddy who has a sprindex and is willing to lend it to me so I can figure out what spring rate would work for me. I am 185lbs with riding gear. I’ll start with the 450lbs amd try the 500lbs too based on your feedback.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 7:38 Quote
ASJ2010 wrote:
chacou wrote:
ASJ2010 wrote:

Thankfully I have a buddy who has a sprindex and is willing to lend it to me so I can figure out what spring rate would work for me. I am 185lbs with riding gear. I’ll start with the 450lbs amd try the 500lbs too based on your feedback.

I have gone through a few springs on my LTD, I am around 190/95 in riding gear it came stock with 375, way to soft, I had a 450 so I put it on still to soft. I checked spring calculators and chose a 500. I ran part of the season with it but was not happy in the end. I was using up too much travel all the time bottoming frequently. I have moved to a 550 and the bike is riding so much better now.

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 at 7:41 Quote
madocreg2 wrote:
ASJ2010 wrote:
chacou wrote:

I have gone through a few springs on my LTD, I am around 190/95 in riding gear it came stock with 375, way to soft, I had a 450 so I put it on still to soft. I checked spring calculators and chose a 500. I ran part of the season with it but was not happy in the end. I was using up too much travel all the time bottoming frequently. I have moved to a 550 and the bike is riding so much better now.

I forgot to mention that the other benefit of the Sprindex is that at least on my 2020 Capra, I'd have to press out the mounting bushings to swap conventional coils each time I want a different spring rate. Now I can adjust on the trail or park whenever I change my riding gear and apparel, etc.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 at 19:54 Quote
I've been tempted to put a coil shock on my crapa, but I almost feel overwhelmed by all the options and different spring rate availabilities. My only experience with coil shocks has been on dh bikes. I ran a 700lbs spring on my demo 8 and based on some of the spring calculators, that's approximately what I would need. Some brands don't even go that high. So I've basically given up on the coil idea. I am wanting a little more adjustability than what the rockshox super deluxe rc3 has. Currently, my eye is set on a cane creek kitsuma air.

Posted: Jan 20, 2021 at 12:46 Quote
I'm perfectly happy with the Float X2 on mine. I've played around with it quite a lot and it seems to do everything I want. Thought about getting a dhx but honestly don't think theres any need to change.

Posted: Jan 21, 2021 at 19:37 Quote
Timo82 wrote:
Good to know!

I wanted to buy the same bike as you but as I can't have a seat on any of those 29er, I think I'll just go with the alloy one as I don't know about that xl ultra long wheelbase and could get a large one soon enough. I'm 6foot 1 but the reach is the same as my bike, a little more stack, etc so I may take a chance with the large. :S

Maybe it will be better with the Rock Shox shock... I hope! Frown

I'm 6'1" and 195lbs, I previously rode XL frames from GT and salsa, but I ordered a large capra and it rides much better. Not sure if this is helpful or not

Posted: Feb 9, 2021 at 8:46 Quote
jaame wrote:
Someone a while back posted up about the rear shock bolt being bent, and it sounded like a few people have had the same problem.

It's a design fault. Never before in my life have I bent a shock bolt and I have been mountain biking since 1990.

Anyway, those of you that have replaced the bolt, did you use a genuine YT one or is there a know supplier of one that is a bit higher grade?

Thanks.

Need to replace this bolt, mine is bent. Looking for a source that isn't titanium. Please help.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007311
Mobile Version of Website