Capra 29 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Capra 29 Thread
| Next Page
Posted: Jul 12, 2021 at 8:20 Quote
@jojotherider1977 I didn't replace the bearings because 1) they aren't shot, yet and 2) as @Cannonbill said it's a PITA and I didn't have the time nor all the replacement sizes. I only have a few 6801 Enduro Bearings on hand, so I could've done the chain stays and linkage. The Wheels Mfg bearing punches I have which I got when I pulled the bearings on my Jeffsy are tricky to use at best. It was quicker and easier to just clean out the old, crap grease and repack with fresh grease, Parktool Polylube 1000 which I've had good luck with in the past and it feels great now.

@Cannonbill I have many friends that have been on the same bearings, Enduro, for multiple seasons without touching them granted they are on "higher end" bikes like Pivots and Yetis. Our conditions are mostly dry, so there's not too much bike washing happening, which degrades the grease more quickly. I'm not disagreeing that changing bearing grease every season is a good idea, I don't think it's necessary if the bearings and grease are high quality though (assuming a recreational rider putting ~40 miles max per week). My experience is that my Jeffsy bearings, which were/are the same as the Capra CF Pro bearings, were completely shot after one season. These specific bearings have a ~1.5 seasons on them and I think I caught them before they went bad. I predominately ride a hardtail in the winter as our trails are snow covered, so really not that much time has been on these bearings since I got the bike new 12/2019 (but didn't really start riding it until ~3/2020).

So far, the bearings are feeling great after a day DH at Vail and two other rides. I'll likely take the time to replace them this winter when I have new bearings on hand and likely a better bearing press/puller kit if they're feeling sticky/chunky again.

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 2:02 Quote
Hi!

Bike: YT Capra 2019 29" CF PRO RACE
SHOCK: FOX X2 230x65
Ridden: ~ 350h +

The lower bushing has developed some play.
Could someone tell me which bushings I need to buy?
I've sent pictures with measurements to local shops but can't get an answer due to holidays etc.

Has anyone swapped the lower bushing for a needle bearing kit? Any noticeable benefits from that?

-Cheers

Posted: Jul 23, 2021 at 8:44 Quote
Which lower bushing? On the shock itself? Otherwise it is all ball bearings these days. This is the enduro kit, you may need seals when replacing as well, Enduro bearing kit link below. The rest of the parts are from YT website.

https://www.enduroforkseals.com/products/rear-suspension/suspension-pivot-bearing-kits/SBKYT6A.html

F

Jwau wrote:
Hi!

I've sent pictures with measurements to local shops but can't get an answer due to holidays etc.

Has anyone swapped the lower bushing for a needle bearing kit? Any noticeable benefits from that?

-Cheers

Posted: Jul 25, 2021 at 16:18 Quote
Jwau wrote:
Hi!

-Cheers

Sure, we can certainly help! If you just want a standard replacement bushing, just note your frame / shock models and that it's the lower you need when ordering this from us https://www.offsetbushings.com/collections/frontpage/products/standard-bushing

We produce many for YT frames so have the dimensions on file already.

Posted: Aug 25, 2021 at 17:22 Quote
Just bought a 2020 Capra Shred 29, the rear shock it comes with is a super deluxe ultimate air.
Anyone know what that change will do to the bike vs the normal reports on how the rear end works since it usually has a coil?

Posted: Aug 25, 2021 at 18:44 Quote
Garradmiller wrote:
Just bought a 2020 Capra Shred 29, the rear shock it comes with is a super deluxe ultimate air.
Anyone know what that change will do to the bike vs the normal reports on how the rear end works since it usually has a coil?

It'll behave like a Capra with an air shock, ie: lighter weight, faster/firmer ramp up, better pedaling in some opinions. Many Capras come stock with air shocks. They should all come stock with coil IMO

Posted: Aug 25, 2021 at 19:56 Quote
chacou wrote:
Garradmiller wrote:

It'll behave like a Capra with an air shock, ie: lighter weight, faster/firmer ramp up, better pedaling in some opinions. Many Capras come stock with air shocks. They should all come stock with coil IMO

Thanks, will see how it feels and may try out a coil.

Posted: Aug 27, 2021 at 6:31 Quote
I go back and forth between air (float x2) and coil (marzocchi bomber). While there is a difference, I can’t say it’s earth shattering. The coil smooths out chatter and handles chunk a bit better; the air has a bit more pop and makes the bike feel more playful and slightly easier to pedal. But there’s no difference in what I can ride or how fast I can ride it.

Posted: Aug 27, 2021 at 8:41 Quote
jbess001 wrote:
I go back and forth between air (float x2) and coil (marzocchi bomber). While there is a difference, I can’t say it’s earth shattering. The coil smooths out chatter and handles chunk a bit better; the air has a bit more pop and makes the bike feel more playful and slightly easier to pedal. But there’s no difference in what I can ride or how fast I can ride it.
They need to have a lockout switch on those fox bomber shocks. And no, it isn't a marzocchi in my opinion. The old rocco's were way better than what they have now.

Posted: Aug 27, 2021 at 16:34 Quote
brassinne wrote:
jbess001 wrote:
They need to have a lockout switch on those fox bomber shocks. And no, it isn't a marzocchi in my opinion. The old rocco's were way better than what they have now.

I definitely agree on the lockout — I’d probably run it year round if it did. But I don’t go back far enough in this sport to know the difference between the bomber and the roco, so I’ll have to take your word for it haha

Posted: Sep 13, 2021 at 12:52 Quote
If you or anyone your know is looking for large Capra 29 CF (frame + stuff)
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3162486/

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 2:03 Quote
https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/3160792/

Part new carbon capra frame avail here

Just over £1k

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006364
Mobile Version of Website