Capra 29 Thread

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Capra 29 Thread
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 2:37 Quote
clarky999 wrote:
May I ask for some opinions on bar width?

I have a 2021 size L Capra 29 Pro Al (was right on the border between M and L but general advice online seemed to be size up). My bike sometimes feel quite unwieldy in tight corners. I've been assuming this is mostly down to my technique (I only started riding last spring), but maybe I can help myself with hardware too.

I'm 5 foot 9 but fairly wide/strong shoulders from years of ww kayaking. My bars are currently at the 800mm they came at as stock. If I trim them down (to 780? 770?) will it make the bike feel more manoeuvrable and nimble in tight corners?
In general yes, 800mm is quite the outlier. Most people settle on bars in 750-780 range, very few have 800 as there perfect width. I run 770 for enduro, and I'm 182cm.

Also riding trails like AAT, there are definitely sections where you have more clearance with a narrower handlebar. So it not always only about the riders size, but sometimes the trails too.

Like said: move in grips and brakes and try. (or see if you can borrow someones bars to test).

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 3:38 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
May I ask for some opinions on bar width?

I have a 2021 size L Capra 29 Pro Al (was right on the border between M and L but general advice online seemed to be size up). My bike sometimes feel quite unwieldy in tight corners. I've been assuming this is mostly down to my technique (I only started riding last spring), but maybe I can help myself with hardware too.

I'm 5 foot 9 but fairly wide/strong shoulders from years of ww kayaking. My bars are currently at the 800mm they came at as stock. If I trim them down (to 780? 770?) will it make the bike feel more manoeuvrable and nimble in tight corners?
In general yes, 800mm is quite the outlier. Most people settle on bars in 750-780 range, very few have 800 as there perfect width. I run 770 for enduro, and I'm 182cm.

Also riding trails like AAT, there are definitely sections where you have more clearance with a narrower handlebar. So it not always only about the riders size, but sometimes the trails too.

Like said: move in grips and brakes and try. (or see if you can borrow someones bars to test).

Thanks, that's helpful! Especially as it's specifically a couple of corners on the AAT that I struggle to get round smoothly Wink Not so much 'cos of clearance from trees though, more it feels like my turn radius is too big (which it shouldn't as people ride everything smoothly on similar and longer bikes no problem)

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 4:15 Quote
clarky999 wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
May I ask for some opinions on bar width?

I have a 2021 size L Capra 29 Pro Al (was right on the border between M and L but general advice online seemed to be size up). My bike sometimes feel quite unwieldy in tight corners. I've been assuming this is mostly down to my technique (I only started riding last spring), but maybe I can help myself with hardware too.

I'm 5 foot 9 but fairly wide/strong shoulders from years of ww kayaking. My bars are currently at the 800mm they came at as stock. If I trim them down (to 780? 770?) will it make the bike feel more manoeuvrable and nimble in tight corners?
In general yes, 800mm is quite the outlier. Most people settle on bars in 750-780 range, very few have 800 as there perfect width. I run 770 for enduro, and I'm 182cm.

Also riding trails like AAT, there are definitely sections where you have more clearance with a narrower handlebar. So it not always only about the riders size, but sometimes the trails too.

Like said: move in grips and brakes and try. (or see if you can borrow someones bars to test).

Thanks, that's helpful! Especially as it's specifically a couple of corners on the AAT that I struggle to get round smoothly Wink Not so much 'cos of clearance from trees though, more it feels like my turn radius is too big (which it shouldn't as people ride everything smoothly on similar and longer bikes no problem)

The areas with the wooden fences on the left and the stone wall on the right... if you want to go faster there narrower helps. But some of the tightest turns are a bit awkward anyway, and require correct line and some confidence or experience to keep some speed.

Are you riding today? I'm going in about an hour. Last ride before next snow dump.Smile

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 7:39 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
Grumposaur wrote:

In general yes, 800mm is quite the outlier. Most people settle on bars in 750-780 range, very few have 800 as there perfect width. I run 770 for enduro, and I'm 182cm.

Also riding trails like AAT, there are definitely sections where you have more clearance with a narrower handlebar. So it not always only about the riders size, but sometimes the trails too.

Like said: move in grips and brakes and try. (or see if you can borrow someones bars to test).

Thanks, that's helpful! Especially as it's specifically a couple of corners on the AAT that I struggle to get round smoothly Wink Not so much 'cos of clearance from trees though, more it feels like my turn radius is too big (which it shouldn't as people ride everything smoothly on similar and longer bikes no problem)

The areas with the wooden fences on the left and the stone wall on the right... if you want to go faster there narrower helps. But some of the tightest turns are a bit awkward anyway, and require correct line and some confidence or experience to keep some speed.

Are you riding today? I'm going in about an hour. Last ride before next snow dump.Smile

Unfortunately I'm stuck in the UK 'til this weekend following a (false, I think; or at least two days later I was negative again) positive test last week Madder Would be cool to go for a ride once it's snow-free again though!

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 7:44 Quote
There where a lot of bikers for a winter day, at least saw 20.

That is a bummer. Currently it looks like it is going to be not bike-able for some time. I think it will get covered and cold enough to stay covered for a while. But message me when you are going for a ride.

Posted: Jan 4, 2022 at 7:51 Quote
Grumposaur wrote:
There where a lot of bikers for a winter day, at least saw 20.

That is a bummer. Currently it looks like it is going to be not bike-able for some time. I think it will get covered and cold enough to stay covered for a while. But message me when you are going for a ride.

Will do!

If you told me a year ago that I'd be hoping for less snow and fewer powder days... MTB has broken me lol

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 10:01 Quote
I put a RockShox super deluxe ultimate coil on my 2021 Capra 29. The shock feels really supportive on big hits but is a little rougher over the chatter than I would like. I weigh ~165 geared up and am running a 400 lbs spring, the shock is 230x65mm and has a MM damper tune with the compression and damping adjustments wide open.

Any thoughts of whether I should just drop the spring rate down a little or if I should look into getting the damper tuned to LL?

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 10:22 Quote
czyk123 wrote:
I put a RockShox super deluxe ultimate coil on my 2021 Capra 29. The shock feels really supportive on big hits but is a little rougher over the chatter than I would like. I weigh ~165 geared up and am running a 400 lbs spring, the shock is 230x65mm and has a MM damper tune with the compression and damping adjustments wide open.

Any thoughts of whether I should just drop the spring rate down a little or if I should look into getting the damper tuned to LL?

I had a very similar issue with my 2020. Have you checked to see where your sag is at with the 400lb coil?
If the shock is running deep in its travel it is in the heavier part of the progression curve and can feel harsh. Speeding up rebound and firming the compression can help. Keeping the travel up in the upper part of the stroke where it is more supple.

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 15:02 Quote
madocreg2 wrote:
czyk123 wrote:
I put a RockShox super deluxe ultimate coil on my 2021 Capra 29. The shock feels really supportive on big hits but is a little rougher over the chatter than I would like. I weigh ~165 geared up and am running a 400 lbs spring, the shock is 230x65mm and has a MM damper tune with the compression and damping adjustments wide open.

Any thoughts of whether I should just drop the spring rate down a little or if I should look into getting the damper tuned to LL?

I had a very similar issue with my 2020. Have you checked to see where your sag is at with the 400lb coil?
If the shock is running deep in its travel it is in the heavier part of the progression curve and can feel harsh. Speeding up rebound and firming the compression can help. Keeping the travel up in the upper part of the stroke where it is more supple.

I will check my sag - not sure where it is right now exactly. I've got 6 bike park days in with this setup and I haven't noticed any harsh bottom outs though - so a heavier spring doesn't seem intuitive to me.

Posted: Jul 7, 2022 at 12:54 Quote
At 190lbs, im running a 400lb spring. Its a little on the low side but its been working for me. Super plush and smooths out the chatter. According to the tftuning spring calculator, i should use a 432lb spring. Its really just a starting point, but it works. I have a 450lb spring i might try, but its black and i like my red 400lb spring.

I should test out the 450 this weekend and see if i like it better.

The tftuning calculator suggest 376lbs for you. So if you want it to eat up the chatter, go with a 350lb spring.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 6:25 Quote
Anyone know a restock date or estimated restock date for the capras? Any size, any colour. I know they’ve been out of stock for a while in the uk and starting to worry if I can get an order in before the end of summer.

Posted: Aug 18, 2022 at 0:14 Quote
Hi guys,

I am currently thinking of buying the new Capra Core 3 as MX-version. Is there any information about problems with the new yoke-design? I often hear, that yokes are not the best solution for suspension-design. I am asking this, because if I would buy the Capra, I will most likely directly sell the stock shock and throw a Super Deluxe Coil into the machine.
The other bike in the race is the new Canyon Torque CF8 and this comes with a coil-shock. The thing here is, that the suspension-design of the Torque looks quite similar to the design of the Capra MK2 and there were issues with snapping DHX2...

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 8:24 Quote
Does anyone have a weird presistent creaking noise while seated pedalling? I just got my 2022 Uncaged 9 and it only happens when I pedal and only seated. Can't seem to locate but there is no easily noticable play in the headset area.

Posted: Aug 22, 2022 at 11:18 Quote
spaced wrote:
Does anyone have a weird presistent creaking noise while seated pedalling? I just got my 2022 Uncaged 9 and it only happens when I pedal and only seated. Can't seem to locate but there is no easily noticable play in the headset area.

It could be something to do with the peddle bob and the rear shock. Just to make sure it’s not that, lock out the rear shock when you’re pedalling next time and see if it makes the noise. If it still does then it could be a saddle problem as I’ve had something similar happen to a saddle on a previous bike. I managed to fix it by tightening the saddle rail screws a bit tighter

| Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007354
Mobile Version of Website