Best playful dh bike

PB Forum :: Downhill
Best playful dh bike
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Nov 21, 2018 at 13:54 Quote
how about a dirt jumper?Wink

if you're not doing tech, only flow and jumps...sounds like dj to me.

Posted: Dec 26, 2018 at 13:46 Quote
i’m 6ft tall, have just bought an xl tr11. i find it a bike that rewards you the faster you go. the rear feels really soft but once i got up to speed on it you feel it’s very active yet still confidence inspiring with the levels of grip it provides.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 12:28 Quote
I currently ride a 2017 Giant Glory 2 and it's not as poppy or manual friendly as I'd like. I am big guy, and ride chunky trails often too, so want to stay with 200mm bikes. Just want something more bike park friendly rather than race oriented. I had a Commencal Supreme V4 before the Glory, and went with the Giant thinking it would be more fun than the HPP Commencal. After last summer I realized they are both "race" bikes, and I want a more playful and maneuverable bike in the air and on the ground as well. Manuals, whips, etc.

I am debating a 2019 YT Tues AL or 2019 Commencal Furious if new. If I go used, Scott Gambler.

I have read great reviews of the Furious and YT Tues. I always loved the Gamblers and they seem durable AF!

I had a couple Scott Voltages over the years, and loved them, but have been looking for a bigger bike with that "playful" feel. Obviously not a nimble as a smaller voltage, but I'm looking for that poppy and responsive feel in a big bike.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 12:39 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I currently ride a 2017 Giant Glory 2 and it's not as poppy or manual friendly as I'd like. I am big guy, and ride chunky trails often too, so want to stay with 200mm bikes. Just want something more bike park friendly than race oriented.

I am debating a used 2018 Scott Gambler 720, or a new 2019 YT Tues or 2019 Commencal Furious. The gambler is $2700 and a demo, but looks to be in great shape and comes with a full frame warranty. The YT and Commencal are $3200, but brand new. I normally wouldn't consider the used bike, but I have always wanted a gambler since 2013 when I rode the 26er version and loved it.

Have you done any setup changes? 10 or 20mm of bar height can be a game changer. I've only ridden a rental Glory, but it was set up with way to much rebound damping.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 12:43 Quote
yzedf wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I currently ride a 2017 Giant Glory 2 and it's not as poppy or manual friendly as I'd like. I am big guy, and ride chunky trails often too, so want to stay with 200mm bikes. Just want something more bike park friendly than race oriented.

I am debating a used 2018 Scott Gambler 720, or a new 2019 YT Tues or 2019 Commencal Furious. The gambler is $2700 and a demo, but looks to be in great shape and comes with a full frame warranty. The YT and Commencal are $3200, but brand new. I normally wouldn't consider the used bike, but I have always wanted a gambler since 2013 when I rode the 26er version and loved it.

Have you done any setup changes? 10 or 20mm of bar height can be a game changer. I've only ridden a rental Glory, but it was set up with way to much rebound damping.

Thanks for the response. I edited my above post to add some more info. Does your username mean YZF, as in Yamaha?

I haven't touched a thing on the Glory. I think the suspension is the issue. I am heavy, and the bike is too soft to be poppy, but it's ground hugging for sure.. I think a Renthal fat bar and some stiffer springs would make a world of a difference, but I'm honestly afraid to dump any more money into if I'm just going to spring for a new bike anyway this spring.

Am I being stupid going about it this way? Should I put stiffer springs on the Glory and see if that makes it a better park bike? Or just sell it and buy a bike that's more "poppy" by design, IE YT Tues or Commencal Furious

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 13:24 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
yzedf wrote:
BeaverCreaker wrote:
I currently ride a 2017 Giant Glory 2 and it's not as poppy or manual friendly as I'd like. I am big guy, and ride chunky trails often too, so want to stay with 200mm bikes. Just want something more bike park friendly than race oriented.

I am debating a used 2018 Scott Gambler 720, or a new 2019 YT Tues or 2019 Commencal Furious. The gambler is $2700 and a demo, but looks to be in great shape and comes with a full frame warranty. The YT and Commencal are $3200, but brand new. I normally wouldn't consider the used bike, but I have always wanted a gambler since 2013 when I rode the 26er version and loved it.

Have you done any setup changes? 10 or 20mm of bar height can be a game changer. I've only ridden a rental Glory, but it was set up with way to much rebound damping.

Thanks for the response. I edited my above post to add some more info. Does your username mean YZF, as in Yamaha?

I haven't touched a thing on the Glory. I think the suspension is the issue. I am heavy, and the bike is too soft to be poppy, but it's ground hugging for sure.. I think a Renthal fat bar and some stiffer springs would make a world of a difference, but I'm honestly afraid to dump any more money into if I'm just going to spring for a new bike anyway this spring.

Am I being stupid going about it this way? Should I put stiffer springs on the Glory and see if that makes it a better park bike? Or just sell it and buy a bike that's more "poppy" by design, IE YT Tues or Commencal Furious

YZF it is!

Suspension setup for intended use is a big deal. Us heavy riders (I'm 200lbs so on the small side of heavy) benefit even more from getting it right, even if that means going custom. I'd go with a stiffer spring set first. It's relatively cheap and you can sometimes find the right stuff used (my Boxxer spring I found used, the shock spring I had to buy new).

Also, where and what you ride will dictate your setup too. I love tech trails and I'm not real fast so I like it a bit plusher than a racer would, but then if I'm hitting another jump trails I just add a couple clicks of compression and go for it. Most people just set it and forget it.

Have the forks been serviced yet?

I'm cheap... I will always try to dial something in before I jump ship to another bike. As I get faster what I want changes too.

The new YT does look big rider friendly though... The older one was too short for me at 6'3" I thought.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 13:48 Quote
Nice! I ride Yamahas too, YZ125 and YZ450f. I'm same size as you too.

I have the domain forks and kage shock on my Glory. Basic suspension for sure, which is part of the reason I want to buy a new bike. For the price of a new 2019 fork and shock, I'm only a couple hundred away from a complete 2019 Tues AL base with the new Boxxer RC and Super Deluxe rear shock..

The glory only has 9 rides on it, so I don't think the forks need to be serviced yet.

Posted: Feb 18, 2019 at 14:51 Quote
BeaverCreaker wrote:
Nice! I ride Yamahas too, YZ125 and YZ450f. I'm same size as you too.

I have the domain forks and kage shock on my Glory. Basic suspension for sure, which is part of the reason I want to buy a new bike. For the price of a new 2019 fork and shock, I'm only a couple hundred away from a complete 2019 Tues AL base with the new Boxxer RC and Super Deluxe rear shock..

The glory only has 9 rides on it, so I don't think the forks need to be serviced yet.

I was big into the sport bike scene, YZF600R was my favorite back then, the name just stuck and it's always available online.

The domain is a basic fork, but you can get a custom tuned cartridge for it. Call Craig over at avalanche and pick his brain a bit.

http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/Rock%20Shox/Domain%2035mm.htm

He also does upgrades on the Kage shock. My stock one died in about 25 days at the park so I replaced it with something else instead of fixing it.

| Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015990
Mobile Version of Website