Show Off Your YT

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Show Off Your YT
Author Message
Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 21:37 Quote
brassinne wrote:
180mm air cartridge in the lyrik and 8.75 x 2.75 dhx rc4 mounted up with an eccentric front mounting hardware to give it 186mm rear travel. Raceface atlas pedals. Ergon smc4 m saddle. 220mm front rotor. And muc off tubless conversion. Although I have been having a hard getting the front tire to seal up.

This has piqued my interest. Im not familiar with lyrik but with the fox, the max travel for a 29er 36 is 170mm. When you buy a 180mm shaft, it specifically states that its only for 27.5 "long travel" forks. So im quite curious about this 180mm 29er lyrik setup.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 23:15 Quote
Zephyrus wrote:
brassinne wrote:
180mm air cartridge in the lyrik and 8.75 x 2.75 dhx rc4 mounted up with an eccentric front mounting hardware to give it 186mm rear travel. Raceface atlas pedals. Ergon smc4 m saddle. 220mm front rotor. And muc off tubless conversion. Although I have been having a hard getting the front tire to seal up.

This has piqued my interest. Im not familiar with lyrik but with the fox, the max travel for a 29er 36 is 170mm. When you buy a 180mm shaft, it specifically states that its only for 27.5 "long travel" forks. So im quite curious about this 180mm 29er lyrik setup.
I don't know where you got your info, but it's on rockshox's website that the lyrik is available in 150mm, 160mm, 170mm and 180mm for both 27.5 and 29. Not only that, but I went to several local bike shops and none were able to tell me what part I needed, which I found odd. So I actually called the rockshox tech line, told them what I had, gave them the part number to my fork as I was also curious whether or not there was a recall on it, and the dude gave me the part number. I went to one of my local bike shops, ordered the part, watched a few videos on how to replace the air spring assembly, including a video from rockshox, and installed it. It really is a simple process. Took me maybe 30 minutes. There was even an article awhile back on some random website called pink something or other that stated that the 29 lyric was available all the way up to 180mm travel.

Posted: Oct 10, 2019 at 23:24 Quote
brassinne wrote:
Jibbaman28 wrote:
brassinne wrote:
180mm air cartridge in the lyrik and 8.75 x 2.75 dhx rc4 mounted up with an eccentric front mounting hardware to give it 186mm rear travel. Raceface atlas pedals. Ergon smc4 m saddle. 220mm front rotor. And muc off tubless conversion. Although I have been having a hard getting the front tire to seal up.

I need to know more about this shock size fitment to get the 180+ mm of rear travel. I have a spare dhx2 from my ‘16 capra colllecting dust in the workshop i could toss on mine as well.
Well it's pretty simple really. 8.75" is the eye to eye, which equal 222.25mm. The factory installed shock is 230mm eye to eye. So by installing my offset bushing, I effectively increased the eye to eye length of the dhx to roughly 226mm. And I set the flip chip in the high setting. Basically making the geo very close to what it would be if I had the 230mm eye to eye shock installed with the flip chip in the low setting. Now the stroke on the dhx is 2.75", which equals 69.85mm. So if the 60mm stroke shock gives the bike 160mm of rear wheel travel, I divided 160 by 60, which is 2.666. Times that by 69.85 and tou end up with 186.22. And that's the rear wheel travel based on a 69.85mm stroke rear shock on the capra. Interestingly enough, if you look at the 170mm travel capra with the 65mm stroke shock and do the math, you end up with actually 173mm, not 170mm as advertised. So I'm assuming that the rear wheel travel numbers that YT gives are probably "rounded out".

Didnt realize you were on big wheels. 27.5 doesnt have the flip chips. Im aware of 8.75 x 2.75 translating roughly to 222 x 70, thats why im curious about the fitment. I have an offset bushing that will work as well. Just dont have the adjustable geo.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 at 10:03 Quote
Jibbaman28 wrote:
brassinne wrote:
Jibbaman28 wrote:


I need to know more about this shock size fitment to get the 180+ mm of rear travel. I have a spare dhx2 from my ‘16 capra colllecting dust in the workshop i could toss on mine as well.
I see. Well, like I said, I definitely only did it mainly just to have something on my bike while my original rear shock gets fixed. It just so happens that it actually fits and increases the travel without really messing with the geo too much. I suppose if someone really wanted to mount a 8.75x2.75 rear shock on a 27.5 bike, they could install an eccentric mount front and rear.
Well it's pretty simple really. 8.75" is the eye to eye, which equal 222.25mm. The factory installed shock is 230mm eye to eye. So by installing my offset bushing, I effectively increased the eye to eye length of the dhx to roughly 226mm. And I set the flip chip in the high setting. Basically making the geo very close to what it would be if I had the 230mm eye to eye shock installed with the flip chip in the low setting. Now the stroke on the dhx is 2.75", which equals 69.85mm. So if the 60mm stroke shock gives the bike 160mm of rear wheel travel, I divided 160 by 60, which is 2.666. Times that by 69.85 and tou end up with 186.22. And that's the rear wheel travel based on a 69.85mm stroke rear shock on the capra. Interestingly enough, if you look at the 170mm travel capra with the 65mm stroke shock and do the math, you end up with actually 173mm, not 170mm as advertised. So I'm assuming that the rear wheel travel numbers that YT gives are probably "rounded out".

Didnt realize you were on big wheels. 27.5 doesnt have the flip chips. Im aware of 8.75 x 2.75 translating roughly to 222 x 70, thats why im curious about the fitment. I have an offset bushing that will work as well. Just dont have the adjustable geo.

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 6:26 Quote

Only thing I have not upgraded is the cranks and dropper. Bike was fun to begin with and has gotten better with each upgrade. Just upgraded the wheels over the weekend, have not got a chance to ride them yet. Been riding it with fork at 160 over the summer playing around with bar height since stock was so slammed and I am 6'3. While I like the way it descends this way (not to mention less pedal strikes with the raised BB), I think I am going to reduce it down to 150 to get some of the climbing power back. It climbs ok this way but definitely not as good as it did when at 140.

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 6:40 Quote
justinmckay wrote:

Only thing I have not upgraded is the cranks and dropper. Bike was fun to begin with and has gotten better with each upgrade. Just upgraded the wheels over the weekend, have not got a chance to ride them yet. Been riding it with fork at 160 over the summer playing around with bar height since stock was so slammed and I am 6'3. While I like the way it descends this way (not to mention less pedal strikes with the raised BB), I think I am going to reduce it down to 150 to get some of the climbing power back. It climbs ok this way but definitely not as good as it did when at 140.

Those are the stock handlebars, aren't they?

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 8:12 Quote
TibZ wrote:
Those are the stock handlebars, aren't they?

Ha! Nope it came with affect stem and handlebars. Swapped them out for the turbines.

Posted: Oct 28, 2019 at 8:33 Quote
justinmckay wrote:
TibZ wrote:
Those are the stock handlebars, aren't they?

Ha! Nope it came with affect stem and handlebars. Swapped them out for the turbines.

Ok, yes, sorry, it's stock on the CF model, my mistake Wink

Really nice build I must say! And good looking too.

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 2:38 Quote
TibZ wrote:
justinmckay wrote:

Only thing I have not upgraded is the cranks and dropper. Bike was fun to begin with and has gotten better with each upgrade. Just upgraded the wheels over the weekend, have not got a chance to ride them yet. Been riding it with fork at 160 over the summer playing around with bar height since stock was so slammed and I am 6'3. While I like the way it descends this way (not to mention less pedal strikes with the raised BB), I think I am going to reduce it down to 150 to get some of the climbing power back. It climbs ok this way but definitely not as good as it did when at 140.

Those are the stock handlebars, aren't they?

What rise are the handle bars, I keep feeling I could do with a bit more that the stock 20mm that is on there at the moment

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 4:06 Quote
35 mm.
Of diameter and of rise.

Posted: Oct 29, 2019 at 5:33 Quote
Matthew-B wrote:
TibZ wrote:
justinmckay wrote:

Only thing I have not upgraded is the cranks and dropper. Bike was fun to begin with and has gotten better with each upgrade. Just upgraded the wheels over the weekend, have not got a chance to ride them yet. Been riding it with fork at 160 over the summer playing around with bar height since stock was so slammed and I am 6'3. While I like the way it descends this way (not to mention less pedal strikes with the raised BB), I think I am going to reduce it down to 150 to get some of the climbing power back. It climbs ok this way but definitely not as good as it did when at 140.

Those are the stock handlebars, aren't they?

What rise are the handle bars, I keep feeling I could do with a bit more that the stock 20mm that is on there at the moment

I went and sat on bikes at YT when i bought mine and straight away these handlebars (stock on a few other YT's) felt better than the 20mm affect bars that came with the bike. For me it's all mental something about flatter bars just does not do it for me.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 at 12:33 Quote
Got some DC forks on my capra now. Left at 200mm upfront. BB now about 345mm which I think will help. 63HA. Got another set of slightly used 2019 boxxer RCs with a none tapered to tapered crown race installed and some cheap front 110x20 front wheels if anyone is debating the conversion. Check out my for sale stuff.
Youll need an absolute minimum of 155 steerer if your gonna buy some DC forks anywhere else. I'm riding an XL


Posted: Nov 23, 2019 at 11:17 Quote
2019 Jeffsy CF Pro

So far I've only changed a couple things. By next summer I will have either a Topaz or coil to replace rear shock. Plan to swap out wheels for some WeAreOne carbon rims eventually.

Increased fork travel to 150mm
Fabric saddle
Raceface Sixc carbon bar.


Riding trails at Turkey Mountain in Tulsa

Posted: Dec 3, 2019 at 6:31 Quote
My YT Tues LTD 2014


 
Active Forum Threads
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.014480
Mobile Version of Website