Drivetrain Life

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 4:35 Quote
How many miles are y'all getting on a modern 1x11 or 1x12 setup? I did some searching and only seem to find info on older 9 speed systems.

I ask because my SRAM GX 1x11 setup is starting to show its age at 1,400 miles (2,300 Km for those over the pond). On a second chain that is still within 0.75%, so I am wondering if this is normal considering I lube up the chain every 20 miles or so.

O+
Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 5:36 Quote
my experience with x01 11 speed has been:

Chain every 500 miles
Chainring every 1000 miles
Cassette every 2000 miles

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 17:51 Quote
I am on a GX 1x11 with about 2000 miles so far. On my third chain, I am getting about 800 miles a chain. The chainring and cassette have some wear but are still going strong.

The GX cassette is all steel so I expect it to last longer than the X01 cassettes.

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 18:14 Quote
Miles really doesn’t mean much on a mountain bike (or anything really). Time is a much better unit of measure. Your miles are probably very different than mine. I get about 1-2 years from a well maintained drivetrain. I ride entirely on mountainous trail in muddy western Oregon. About an hour a day

Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 19:58 Quote
kwietrick wrote:

Chain every 500 miles
X01 has a replaceable (aluminum) 42 cog, so are you replacing the whole cassette or just the large cog?

O+
Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 5:07 Quote
brianl wrote:
kwietrick wrote:

Chain every 500 miles
X01 has a replaceable (aluminum) 42 cog, so are you replacing the whole cassette or just the large cog?

The whole thing. I am actually pretty good at staying off the 42, i only use it a bailout when I'm trashed so it doesnt see much wear.

Posted: Jun 27, 2018 at 9:47 Quote
Snapped my chain yesterday. So we will see if perhaps a new chain gets my drivetrain acting newer.

Sounds like a good time to pull everything off the bike, clean it, and throw on new shifter cable.

Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 4:10 Quote
I personally think drivetrain life depends on a lot of factors.
-How you maintain them (clean em up regularly etc)
-How steep the terrain is.
-The soil.(fine dust or mud.)
-Your weight. if youre small the drivetrain is under less stress when climbing. (at the same speed that is)
-do you shift much.

Sometimes you need to replace components that are worn out. For example. on a sram cassette you need to replace the entire cassette. (or the largest cog is worn out first, to me that sounds unlikely but that depends on where you ride ofcourse). on a shimano cassette you can replace just the worn out cog. (exept the largest ones. those go in three)
Your chain wears out first. Use a chain wear indicator to see if it needs replacing.
I quess narrow wide chainrings dont wear out that fast. even if they do theyre easily replacable and not as expensive as a 2x crank.

Bottom line is that they will likely last basically just as long as any system. And if something wears out its easily replacable. You also have only one shifter to worry about. so thats one less component to wear out.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008985
Mobile Version of Website