Change QR axle to bolt thru???

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Change QR axle to bolt thru???
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 26, 2018 at 15:02 Quote
Hi i have a 2016 whyte 901 frame that has the older style 135mm QR skewer axle dropout and keen to see if theres any way of converting that to a bolt thru style axle.

The hubs are hope pro4 so lots of options avaliable to change these so they shouldnt be a problem.

Has anyone tried or done anything similar before???

Thanks

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 4:52 Quote
I'd be interested to know this too, my hardtail is still on a 135QR and it is such a faff compared to the thru axle on my new bike.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 5:11 Quote
Yep the thru axles are much easier/better!

I put a child seat on my hardtail at the weekend and the rear wheel is making a creaking/pinging noise now and not sure if the QR axle has been bent (I've checked the spokes and tightened these but the noise is still there, unfortunately don't have a tension meter so has just been by hand).

There are some aftermarket adapters that act as a sleeve for the QR axle but not sure on these as it wouldn't add much strength and there seems to be issues with these fitting into the frame tightly.

Would prefer to update the frame someway to accept a thru axle if there is any way of doing that

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 5:21 Quote
https://www.jensonusa.com/DT-Swiss-RWS-Thru-Bolt-Quick-Release-Black-10-X-135-Aluminum-Rear?pt_source=googleads&pt_medium=cpc&pt_campaign=shopping_us&pt_keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjtLZBRDLARIsAKT6fXy3Uz4SA6P3AxNTk_K8uY3zLSDdcHbQl6X9khAt_AWbLG48dxtxN8MaAoEBEALw_wcB

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 5:48 Quote
Covmtb wrote:
Yep the thru axles are much easier/better!

I put a child seat on my hardtail at the weekend and the rear wheel is making a creaking/pinging noise now and not sure if the QR axle has been bent (I've checked the spokes and tightened these but the noise is still there, unfortunately don't have a tension meter so has just been by hand).

There are some aftermarket adapters that act as a sleeve for the QR axle but not sure on these as it wouldn't add much strength and there seems to be issues with these fitting into the frame tightly.

Would prefer to update the frame someway to accept a thru axle if there is any way of doing that

I think I have a spare QR if you want to test.

Off topic, but I also have a child seat on my hardtail most of the time. Are you riding locally with the child seat (and I assume child)?

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 6:33 Quote
You can buy a 135 bolt on hub, your frame will accept it without modification.

Some hubs are convertible, but it would depend on the hub you have.

Does the wheel spin freely after the child seat was installed? its possible the hub bearings are not properly pre-loaded and the QR is too tight.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 6:39 Quote
More Ti bling 33grams off
I have Hope Pro2 EVO trials on my 4Xer an Pro4 on my trail bike. Both QR frames an Both with the 135 bolt up axle. Solid as an hassle free. I'd highly recommend it.

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 6:49 Quote
great thanks Nojzilla Smile

is that a hope bolt up axle? Also did you have to change any of your hub from the QR skewer style to fit the bolt through?

Posted: Jun 28, 2018 at 8:30 Quote
I got the hubs with the bolt up as standard but, Hope are great with compatibility, all you need is an axle swap. Maybe bearings?

The Ti bolts aren't standard Wink

Posted: Jun 29, 2018 at 18:36 Quote
nojzilla wrote:
More Ti bling 33grams off
I have Hope Pro2 EVO trials on my 4Xer an Pro4 on my trail bike. Both QR frames an Both with the 135 bolt up axle. Solid as an hassle free. I'd highly recommend it.

+1 I ran a ss hope pro 2 with ck fun bolts equivalent.

now building up same frame just geared this time round and it will be qr 5mm axle until the disty gets stock of the adaptor kits for 10mm x 135mm

hoping now that I won't bend my cr-mo 5mm qr skewer haha

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.018200
Mobile Version of Website