'17 Troy GX? advice wanted...

PB Forum :: Devinci
'17 Troy GX? advice wanted...
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 10:28 Quote
Hey,

So, I'm thinking of buying my first new mtb, I usually go for used, old (i.e. 6-7 years old) deals to save some $$. I've been doing quite a bit more riding recently, so I've decided to spend more than usual for something up to date... (current bike is a '10 Transition Bandit)
Anyways, I was in a local bike shop the other day and they had a '17 Devinci Troy GX Alloy for ~3k, which seems like a pretty good deal for the spec (Pike RC, Guide R, Gx drivetrain (11-42)) etc.

I usually ride trail, a few jumps here and there, some rocky steeps, so I'm not looking for anything too hardcore. I'll occasionally do a bike park, so something a bit burlier isn't too bad, but it's mainly Van Isle riding, so the Troy seems like a good fit.

Thoughts?

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 10:34 Quote
One more thing, how is sizing on the Troy (fit big/small)? I'm ~174cm, with ~76cm inseam. I was looking at a Medium, and it felt pretty good, but again most of my experience is with older bikes (my Transition is nearly 2" shorter in reach than the Troy)

Posted: Jul 3, 2018 at 14:41 Quote
Medium should be good for you. I am 1 inch taller than you and my medium Troy fits well. The Troy should match the style you are looking for, I feel it pedals well and is very capable. You can change the Pike to 160mm with a new airshaft that will give you more front travel and slacken the head angle.

Overall, there are so many great bikes out there in the recent years. Just make sure the bike has modern geometry that are longer, lower, and slacker, with a shorter stem, and a dropper post and you should be good. They just came out with the new Troy so maybe you can get an even better deal. Most new bikes come with 12 speed drivetrain and wider rims and tires, up to you if you want to go for the most up to date bikes.

Posted: Jul 12, 2018 at 17:49 Quote
Cool, thanks for the advice!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015606
Mobile Version of Website