Using Garmin Edge 520 plus trailforks app without phone app?

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Using Garmin Edge 520 plus trailforks app without phone app?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 at 9:14 Quote
Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this. I've poked around on Trailforks, and the garmin site, and haven't been able to find an answer, so I thought I'd come ask here.

I just got a deal on a Garmin Edge 520 plus this last weekend, and just discovered trailforks. It looks great, and I'm excited to try it out on some upcoming rides.

The problem is I have an older windows phone 10 (with no desire to update to anything else in the near future). Now, I know the Edge 520 plus supports Trailforks Nav, but all the examples I see only show that functionality working with the phone companion app, which, I obviously don't have.

What are my options for getting some routes saved onto the 520 plus before I head out to go ride? Can I favorite routes on the website, and them import them using garmin express or something like that? Do I just have to download GPX files and load them on?

I'm still really new to all of this, but I appreciate any and all help getting me on track to finding the best/smoothest option for me to get out and ride.

Thanks Smile .

Mod
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 at 15:10 Quote
ocnlogan wrote:
Apologies if this is the wrong forum to post this. I've poked around on Trailforks, and the garmin site, and haven't been able to find an answer, so I thought I'd come ask here.

I just got a deal on a Garmin Edge 520 plus this last weekend, and just discovered trailforks. It looks great, and I'm excited to try it out on some upcoming rides.

The problem is I have an older windows phone 10 (with no desire to update to anything else in the near future). Now, I know the Edge 520 plus supports Trailforks Nav, but all the examples I see only show that functionality working with the phone companion app, which, I obviously don't have.

What are my options for getting some routes saved onto the 520 plus before I head out to go ride? Can I favorite routes on the website, and them import them using garmin express or something like that? Do I just have to download GPX files and load them on?

I'm still really new to all of this, but I appreciate any and all help getting me on track to finding the best/smoothest option for me to get out and ride.

Thanks Smile .

We don't have a windows phone app and do not planning on making one, but you have the following option.

You can use the website on you phone or a computer, and when you "favorite" a trail, it will become available in your edge 520 trailforks app. Yup, It's that simple.

Posted: Jul 10, 2018 at 22:49 Quote
radek wrote:

We don't have a windows phone app and do not planning on making one, but you have the following option.

You can use the website on you phone or a computer, and when you "favorite" a trail, it will become available in your edge 520 trailforks app. Yup, It's that simple.

I understand, I wasn't expecting, or even asking for a trailforks app for Windows phone. I know that's never going to happen Smile .

I was encouraged by your response though. So I saved a few routes to my wishlist in Trailforks, and then opened up the app on the Edge 520 plus. Then I got an error.

The message I get is "Please connect your phone and open the Connect Mobile App".

As it turns out, Garmin Connect Mobile does exist on windows phone, but it hasn't been supported or updated in a very long time. So, it doesn't work, and won't connect with the Edge 520 either, so unless you're aware of a secret other method of getting things to work, I don't think I'll be able to use the built in connectIQ app.

Where does that leave me? Am I back to downloading GPX files, or something like that?

Thanks again for the assistance, its greatly appreciated.

So,

Mod
Posted: Jul 11, 2018 at 8:41 Quote
[Quote="ocnlogan"]
radek wrote:
The message I get is "Please connect your phone and open the Connect Mobile App".

As it turns out, Garmin Connect Mobile does exist on windows phone, but it hasn't been supported or updated in a very long time. So, it doesn't work, and won't connect with the Edge 520 either, so unless you're aware of a secret other method of getting things to work, I don't think I'll be able to use the built in connectIQ app.

Where does that leave me? Am I back to downloading GPX files, or something like that?


So,

Ah yes of course. The garmin device uses the phone as the pass through to make all connections to the network.

I did a little digging and some of the edge units have wifi connectivity so you would not need a compatible phone for the device to access internet features. Unfortunately the 520plus does NOT have wifi but the older 520 did. weird.
I believe the bigger 1030 does have wifi but that does not help you with the 520 plus.

Comes does that the Garmin device uses a compatible phone for most of connectivity so you are at a disadvantage when you are dead set on a windows phone.

Posted: Jul 11, 2018 at 9:53 Quote
radek wrote:
Ah yes of course. The garmin device uses the phone as the pass through to make all connections to the network.

I did a little digging and some of the edge units have wifi connectivity so you would not need a compatible phone for the device to access internet features. Unfortunately the 520plus does NOT have wifi but the older 520 did. weird.
I believe the bigger 1030 does have wifi but that does not help you with the 520 plus.

Comes does that the Garmin device uses a compatible phone for most of connectivity so you are at a disadvantage when you are dead set on a windows phone.

Yeah, that makes sense. I figured something like that was the case. I was just hoping that I could sync things through USB/PC, but its looking like that isn't possible at the moment.

That is strange that the older 520 did have wifi, but the 520 plus doesn't. And yeah, at the moment, changing phone platforms isn't in the cards.

So, in terms of options for navigating with my current setup. Do I download the trailforks basemaps? Do I download gpx files? Or am I out of options?

And thanks for helping clarify things. At least hopefully if others have the same question (you know, both of the other Windows phone users still in existence Razz ), then they don't need to bother with creating a thread.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2018. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014642
Mobile Version of Website