The new Troy 29er is Amazing!

PB Forum :: Devinci
The new Troy 29er is Amazing!
Author Message
Posted: Aug 20, 2019 at 11:52 Quote
duncanstrohnd wrote:
I love the way it looks with the Kashima front and back - nicely done!. When I bought mine I agonized over switching out the shock for a Super Deluxe, but living in Southern Ontario, I really couldn't justify it. It still does just fine at the local DH park, and with only 750' of vertical it's not really enough to overheat the stock Deluxe the bike came with.

Thanks! Being from southern Ontario myself I know what you mean. The Troy is a bit much for the terrain around here. I have a Django setup as an XC bike for local rides, and I take the Troy with me for rides with more demanding trails.

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 8:19 Quote
Bumping this. I’m considering a 2019 Troy carbon 29er, there is a few nice deals out there right now. Anyone have any more info if you ride one? I’m coming from 27.5 and would like to give 29 a try. I need a burly trail bike and the Troy seems to fit the bill, I had a 2016 and really liked it, the rear suspension was great. Was also looking at a yeti SB130 but they are really pricey.

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 8:23 Quote
What info are you looking for?

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 9:17 Quote
Wondering if anyone has compared it to a sb130, ripmo etc and also if anyone went from 27.5 to the 29 version. Personal accounts are a little scarce and I won’t have a chance to demo one so just trying to cover my bases before ordering. I’ve always liked Devinci as they’re not a mega brand and this bike checks most of the boxes for me, thanks!

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 at 9:22 Quote
I haven't ridden an SB130 or ripmo, so can't compare for you there, sorry.

I have however owned both the previous 27.5 versions of the Troy. See my review on the previous page of this thread. To summarize, I feel it's better in every way, except in tight switchback situations where it definitely takes more effort to get it around tight corners both up and down, I feel simply due to the bigger wheels and longer wheelbase.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 11:51 Quote
I went from the 2016 27.5 Troy to the 2019 29er. I'm 6'2" and needed the bigger frame size it offered. I love the geo of the 29er and it climbs better than the 27.5 but maybe that's because of the 50T ring : ) Living where i do there's as much climbing as going down so the new Troy is an excellent match for the trails, and it descend great too.

The one small thing i don't like about the new Troy is the break cable that runs right behind the chain ring and almost rubs against it unless you zip tie it to something.

How many folks hate the rear shock mount on the 2016 model that holds water like a pot hole, not a huge deal but SO annoying. The new design is so much better, cleans better.

Can't beat the lifetime warranty either.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 at 12:01 Quote
lblizzard wrote:
The one small thing i don't like about the new Troy is the break cable that runs right behind the chain ring and almost rubs against it unless you zip tie it to something.

I'm assuming you mean the shifter cable/housing since brake cable is on the other side of the bike from the ring? There are small holes in the chainstay just behind where it joins the front triangle for you to secure the cable with zip ties. Once secured it shouldn't come close to the ring. Devinci have been using this method of cable routing for many years on most of their frames. I've always thought they had some of the cleanest and well thought out cable routing around.

Posted: Sep 12, 2019 at 4:26 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
lblizzard wrote:
The one small thing i don't like about the new Troy is the break cable that runs right behind the chain ring and almost rubs against it unless you zip tie it to something.

I'm assuming you mean the shifter cable/housing since brake cable is on the other side of the bike from the ring? There are small holes in the chainstay just behind where it joins the front triangle for you to secure the cable with zip ties. Once secured it shouldn't come close to the ring. Devinci have been using this method of cable routing for many years on most of their frames. I've always thought they had some of the cleanest and well thought out cable routing around.

yup that's exactly what i do, and yes the cable routing is very clean

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 0:32 Quote
Hi Everyone,
I was able to buy a new Troy Carbon 29 LTD version for a great price and got it shipped overnight and I am super stoked. My euphoria took a turn when I started unpacking the bike and discovered a few items that I am not so happy about. Yes, it was a really good deal, but still, this is a premium product with MSRP of $5,800, so it's a bit frustrating. I can fix some of these issues myself (though not sure about the downtube protector and the poor finish on the headtube), but having to do all this on a brand new bike at this price point seems just wrong.

-downtube protector already delaminating and appears deformed or not well fitting shape to the downtube
-chainstay protector already delaminating and same story regarding the shape
-generally, the quality of craftmanship how the plastic protectors are attached/glued to the frame is really poor
-frame/paint finish on top of headtube is very poor
-zip tie issue on swingarm for securing shift cable housing (drivetrain side); zip tie collar located on the inside of the swingarm and will scratch up the frame when compressing the swingarm/suspension
-crankset not tight and is wiggling
-the 32 chainring has only 2mm clearance (at best) to the chainstay; that just seems too tight; not sure if the cranks were not mounted right or if this is truly by design (i.e. I don't see how you could fit a 34 chainring in there if you were inclined to do that)

I contacted the online shop and sent them photos to see how they propose to resolve this. Just need an outside reality check that I am not being a self-entitled bitchy jerk. What do you guys think?









Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 4:28 Quote
fizzynut wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I was able to buy a new Troy Carbon 29 LTD version for a great price and got it shipped overnight and I am super stoked. My euphoria took a turn when I started unpacking the bike and discovered a few items that I am not so happy about. Yes, it was a really good deal, but still, this is a premium product with MSRP of $5,800, so it's a bit frustrating. I can fix some of these issues myself (though not sure about the downtube protector and the poor finish on the headtube), but having to do all this on a brand new bike at this price point seems just wrong.

-downtube protector already delaminating and appears deformed or not well fitting shape to the downtube
-chainstay protector already delaminating and same story regarding the shape
-generally, the quality of craftmanship how the plastic protectors are attached/glued to the frame is really poor
-frame/paint finish on top of headtube is very poor
-zip tie issue on swingarm for securing shift cable housing (drivetrain side); zip tie collar located on the inside of the swingarm and will scratch up the frame when compressing the swingarm/suspension
-crankset not tight and is wiggling
-the 32 chainring has only 2mm clearance (at best) to the chainstay; that just seems too tight; not sure if the cranks were not mounted right or if this is truly by design (i.e. I don't see how you could fit a 34 chainring in there if you were inclined to do that)

I contacted the online shop and sent them photos to see how they propose to resolve this. Just need an outside reality check that I am not being a self-entitled bitchy jerk. What do you guys think?


I have the 2019 29er Troy , same color, i have none of those issues, mine came in two boxes with absolutely nothing assembled. the bike shop must have done some pre-assembly? but assembling would not have caused those paint issues

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 5:07 Quote
I've also seen none of those issues. I got frame only, so can't comment on the build issues you're seeing. I'd be annoyed at the paint and frame protection issues you have. Try contacting Devinci directly instead of the shop you bought it from. Devinci's customer service is generally very good in my experience. Hopefully they take care of you.

As far as the zip tie and crank issues. Obviously the person who assembled the bike for you doesn't know what they're doing. I'd take the crank off and re-install. You can adjust the chainline then to give you more room on the drive side for a bigger ring. The frame is supposed to accommodate up to a 38t ring. While you have the crank off, cut off that zip tie securing the shift cable and install a new one so the collar of the zip tie is on the outside so it won't rub the frame. No idea why they would have installed it that way. As I've said in a previous post, Devinci cable routing is generally very well thought out, and I like the solution of securing it in this area.

Posted: Sep 20, 2019 at 7:44 Quote
lblizzard wrote:
fizzynut wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I was able to buy a new Troy Carbon 29 LTD version for a great price and got it shipped overnight and I am super stoked. My euphoria took a turn when I started unpacking the bike and discovered a few items that I am not so happy about. Yes, it was a really good deal, but still, this is a premium product with MSRP of $5,800, so it's a bit frustrating. I can fix some of these issues myself (though not sure about the downtube protector and the poor finish on the headtube), but having to do all this on a brand new bike at this price point seems just wrong.

-downtube protector already delaminating and appears deformed or not well fitting shape to the downtube
-chainstay protector already delaminating and same story regarding the shape
-generally, the quality of craftmanship how the plastic protectors are attached/glued to the frame is really poor
-frame/paint finish on top of headtube is very poor
-zip tie issue on swingarm for securing shift cable housing (drivetrain side); zip tie collar located on the inside of the swingarm and will scratch up the frame when compressing the swingarm/suspension
-crankset not tight and is wiggling
-the 32 chainring has only 2mm clearance (at best) to the chainstay; that just seems too tight; not sure if the cranks were not mounted right or if this is truly by design (i.e. I don't see how you could fit a 34 chainring in there if you were inclined to do that)

I contacted the online shop and sent them photos to see how they propose to resolve this. Just need an outside reality check that I am not being a self-entitled bitchy jerk. What do you guys think?


I have the 2019 29er Troy , same color, i have none of those issues, mine came in two boxes with absolutely nothing assembled. the bike shop must have done some pre-assembly? but assembling would not have caused those paint issues

It almost looks like this plastic insert is missing, which would cover the non-painted area. This is my bike, pre-build and built. Also if you don't install the spacers correctly in the DUB crank the alignment will be shifted. It took me some reading to figure out how to install it properly.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 9:02 Quote
I just picked up a Troy 29 GX Ltd on sale from my local shop. I'm 5'8" and went for a large and put on a 40 mm stem (the reach on the large is approaching that of a modern medium).

The sizing feels good, though the stack height is a bit higher than I'd like. I can still slam the stem (currently running one 5 mm spacer under it), and I could always go from 20 mm to 10 mm bars. But somehow the bars sit up pretty high on this bike. I thought about bumping up the fork to 170 but I don't think I could get away with even more stack.

A couple of questions:

- What are people doing for a chainguide? I went to move over the OneUp guide from my old bike and it seems the chainring is about a cm farther away from the ISCG tabs than my old bike (could be the Super Boost). Do I need longer mounting bolts + spacers, or do I need a different guide?

- The stock rear shock feels good, but I am already thinking about a piggyback or coil shock. For those running a coil on this bike, how do you like it?

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 9:17 Quote
5'8" on a large seems like it might be too big for you, maybe that's why you're finding it too high? Although bike sizing is all personal preference. I went the opposite direction and bumped the fork down to 150mm to steepen the bike up a bit and make it easier to climb. I may go back to 160mm at some point, but to be honest I'm not really missing the extra travel.

For a chainguide I'm running the OneUp top guide with bash. Fits fine, you just have to space it out far enough. The bolts that come with the guide were long enough for me.

I never rode the bike with the stock shock, but I've been pretty happy with the DPX2 I put on. I wanted an X2 but it's not made in the metric trunnion mount size needed unfortunately. The DPX2 has exceeded my expectations though.

Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 9:44 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
5'8" on a large seems like it might be too big for you, maybe that's why you're finding it too high? Although bike sizing is all personal preference.

Yeah, I was on the fence. They're not the longest bikes, and I had tried some bikes with 460ish reach recently and had liked the extra stability.

I did demo the medium Troy LTD earlier this summer, and even that one was a bit high in stack. My previous bike was a Norco Range 29, which has a stubby little 90 mm long head tube. I was running it with a 170 Lyrik, 20 mm rise bars and one 10 mm spacer under the stem.

The medium Troy has a 105 mm head tube. To end up with my bars in the same place as my Range, I'd have to run a 5 mm spacer under the stem (with fork at 160 and stock 20 mm rise bars).

The large has a 115 mm head tube, so with the 5 mm spacer under the stem that I'm currently running, my bars should be 10 mm higher than where I was on my Range.

Just doing this math, I think I should switch to 10 mm rise bars.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.019375
Mobile Version of Website