The new Troy 29er is Amazing!

PB Forum :: Devinci
The new Troy 29er is Amazing!
Posted: Sep 23, 2019 at 9:50 Quote
Yeah, try a lower rise bar and slam the stem with no spacers under. That's where I am with mine.

Posted: Sep 27, 2019 at 14:46 Quote
Well I picked up a 2019 Troy LTD for a killer deal, it was a lightly used demo. I have had it out a few times now and I must say the fit is really good, I’m 5’10” on a medium. Only thing I’ve done is add a 170 dropper, it came with a 125?!?

Also what are people running for a rear tire. The stock minion dhr ii has lots of life left but it seems super tight clearance wise. I like the aggressor but wondering if a 2.5 wide trail would be too big? Would a normal 2.3 sit nicely on the stock rims which I think are 35mm internal?

Really liking the fit and look of the bike, thanks to those of you that gave info in the thread!

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 9:28 Quote
jdsecan12 wrote:
Well I picked up a 2019 Troy LTD for a killer deal, it was a lightly used demo. I have had it out a few times now and I must say the fit is really good, I’m 5’10” on a medium. Only thing I’ve done is add a 170 dropper, it came with a 125?!?

Also what are people running for a rear tire. The stock minion dhr ii has lots of life left but it seems super tight clearance wise. I like the aggressor but wondering if a 2.5 wide trail would be too big? Would a normal 2.3 sit nicely on the stock rims which I think are 35mm internal?

Really liking the fit and look of the bike, thanks to those of you that gave info in the thread!

I don't think I'd want to go narrower than the 2.4 DHR given the 35 mm rims. I think a 2.3 would end up too square.

Posted: Oct 2, 2019 at 9:31 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Yeah, try a lower rise bar and slam the stem with no spacers under. That's where I am with mine.

So... this is all part of getting a new bike set up, but I am still fiddling. I picked up some 10 mm rise bars and liked what it did to flat cornering, but found it worse on steeper terrain.

I'm now back on the stock 20 mm bars with a 5 mm spacer under the stem, but have dropped about 3 psi in the fork and 10 psi in the rear shock compared to what I was running before. The bike is now sitting a bit lower in its travel and feels more planted, even with the stock bars.

I'm not sure where I'll land but so far I think my latest setup is looking good.

Posted: Oct 4, 2019 at 2:33 Quote
DMal wrote:
I just picked up a Troy 29 GX Ltd on sale from my local shop. I'm 5'8" and went for a large and put on a 40 mm stem (the reach on the large is approaching that of a modern medium).

The sizing feels good, though the stack height is a bit higher than I'd like. I can still slam the stem (currently running one 5 mm spacer under it), and I could always go from 20 mm to 10 mm bars. But somehow the bars sit up pretty high on this bike. I thought about bumping up the fork to 170 but I don't think I could get away with even more stack.

A couple of questions:

- What are people doing for a chainguide? I went to move over the OneUp guide from my old bike and it seems the chainring is about a cm farther away from the ISCG tabs than my old bike (could be the Super Boost). Do I need longer mounting bolts + spacers, or do I need a different guide?

- The stock rear shock feels good, but I am already thinking about a piggyback or coil shock. For those running a coil on this bike, how do you like it?

You need iscg 05 mount and a guide spaced out for 157 boost.

5 ft 8 and you went large? I'm 5 10 and I went medium. Love it.

Don't know if I'd go 170 front, maybe 160. Up.to you

Posted: Oct 21, 2019 at 13:15 Quote
lblizzard wrote:
fizzynut wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I was able to buy a new Troy Carbon 29 LTD version for a great price and got it shipped overnight and I am super stoked. My euphoria took a turn when I started unpacking the bike and discovered a few items that I am not so happy about. Yes, it was a really good deal, but still, this is a premium product with MSRP of $5,800, so it's a bit frustrating. I can fix some of these issues myself (though not sure about the downtube protector and the poor finish on the headtube), but having to do all this on a brand new bike at this price point seems just wrong.

-downtube protector already delaminating and appears deformed or not well fitting shape to the downtube
-chainstay protector already delaminating and same story regarding the shape
-generally, the quality of craftmanship how the plastic protectors are attached/glued to the frame is really poor
-frame/paint finish on top of headtube is very poor
-zip tie issue on swingarm for securing shift cable housing (drivetrain side); zip tie collar located on the inside of the swingarm and will scratch up the frame when compressing the swingarm/suspension
-crankset not tight and is wiggling
-the 32 chainring has only 2mm clearance (at best) to the chainstay; that just seems too tight; not sure if the cranks were not mounted right or if this is truly by design (i.e. I don't see how you could fit a 34 chainring in there if you were inclined to do that)

I contacted the online shop and sent them photos to see how they propose to resolve this. Just need an outside reality check that I am not being a self-entitled bitchy jerk. What do you guys think?

I have the 2019 29er Troy , same color, i have none of those issues, mine came in two boxes with absolutely nothing assembled. the bike shop must have done some pre-assembly? but assembling would not have caused those paint issues

Hi Folks,
I finally got resolution on this with great warranty support from evo (online dealer) in getting Devinci to replace the entire bike with the 2020 model (and their upgraded top version to boot). I am super stoked and appreciative of that, but when I finally had time to unpack the box and put together the mostly pre-assembled bike last night, I was in for a big surprise. The big issue is the rear tire clearance to the chainstay yoke on the swing-arm. Once I mounted the wheels and aired up the tires, I was very surprised to see that tire clearance is only around 2mm. On a mountain bike, that seems insane. My old bike had 12mm clearance and even then the frame yoke would get scratched up plenty over time. I am not even sure how you could go on any any kind of muddy ride, not to mention rocky rides without the chainstay yoke area getting completely chewed up. The clearance is so tight that you cannot insert the rear wheel into the dropouts, without letting complete air out of the tires. This is with the RaceFace Arc35 wheels and Maxxis DHR 2.4 WT rear tire that come stock on this bike from Devinci.

I really want the Troy29 and want to like this bike, but to me this could be a deal breaker and I am considering to return the bike for full refund. Weird thing is, none of the online reviews I read and online forums I perused mention this as a potential issue. Do you all have the same super tight clearance? If so, how is it working out for you in real world MTB riding? Not an issue?

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 16:39 Quote
doesn't look like a Troy frame to me, if you compare mine there's differences and no SN?

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 18:25 Quote
lblizzard wrote:
doesn't look like a Troy frame to me, if you compare mine there's differences and no SN?

I think his is as viewed from the top, whereas yours is as viewed from under the bb.

Posted: Oct 24, 2019 at 21:19 Quote
DMal wrote:

I think his is as viewed from the top, whereas yours is as viewed from under the bb.

Yup, DMal is right. It was definitely 2020 Troy 29 carbon frame and and had all the stickers and S/N under the BB. Anyway, after the QC issues with the previous bike and almost zero tire clearance on second bike (which may be another QC issue), I decided to call it and returned the bike to evo for full refund.

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 4:37 Quote
fizzynut wrote:
DMal wrote:

Yup, DMal is right. It was definitely 2020 Troy 29 carbon frame and and had all the stickers and S/N under the BB. Anyway, after the QC issues with the previous bike and almost zero tire clearance on second bike (which may be another QC issue), I decided to call it and returned the bike to evo for full refund.

DOH!

Well anyway mine seems to have more clearance, mine is 2020 Troy 29er stock tires , purchased this past April

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 4:53 Quote
Mine also has more tire clearance. 2.35 Schwalbe tires (which run large) on 40mm rims (34 internal). Plenty of clearance. Been riding it for a year and a half through LOTS of muddy rides, no issues. Sorry to hear you've had so many QC issues, that is very unusual for Devinci. I've had more than 10 Devinci frames over the years and have never really had any issues with QC and in my experience their customer service has been second to none as well...

Posted: Oct 25, 2019 at 14:29 Quote
freerider11 wrote:
Mine also has more tire clearance. 2.35 Schwalbe tires (which run large) on 40mm rims (34 internal). Plenty of clearance. Been riding it for a year and a half through LOTS of muddy rides, no issues. Sorry to hear you've had so many QC issues, that is very unusual for Devinci. I've had more than 10 Devinci frames over the years and have never really had any issues with QC and in my experience their customer service has been second to none as well...

Yes, super wicked. What are the odds to get 2 frames in a row with QC problems. Anyway, life is short and moving on to scout out my next potential ride.

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 15:46 Quote
Has anyone found a replacement rear axle that isn’t quick release? The stock one sticks out a lot and is in the line of fire. Mine got hit and now I can’t pull the QR lever out to adjust its clocking.

Edit: I figured out I can adjust the clocking by loosening the hex bolt at the end of the axle and rotating the QR lever. But I swear I remember it pulling out and rotating like the DT axle when it was new - but maybe I’m remembering wrong.

But still, has anyone found a tooled thru axle that fits the 157 Devincis? My googling has not been successful so far.

Posted: Oct 27, 2019 at 16:27 Quote
DMal wrote:
But still, has anyone found a tooled thru axle that fits the 157 Devincis? My googling has not been successful so far.

Is this correct?

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015761
Mobile Version of Website