Posted: Dec 24, 2019 at 22:08 Quote
Tinshield wrote:
This is the list of larger Maxxis tires that Devinci says fit:

Here are the largest Maxxis tires that fits on the Troy 29:
High Roller II 2.5WT
Aggressor 2.5WT
Minion DHR II 2.4
Minion DHF 2.5

I run the aggressor 2.5wt in the rear of my troy and haven't had any issues. More clearance than that of the bontrager pic you posted.

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 at 23:48 Quote
Tinshield wrote:
I think the Troy has 430mm stays. Would anyone complain if it had 435mm? I wonder if it was a conscious decision to accept the low clearance or a difference between design and actual production/implementation?

That would be a big error, so it's almost certainly a design choice. Some brands want to make a point of having especially short stays - or any number of signature features.

They made a choice. I would've made a different choice. Recently, they made a different choice.

O+
Posted: Dec 25, 2019 at 8:11 Quote
wheelza wrote:
Tinshield wrote:
This is the list of larger Maxxis tires that Devinci says fit:

Here are the largest Maxxis tires that fits on the Troy 29:
High Roller II 2.5WT
Aggressor 2.5WT
Minion DHR II 2.4
Minion DHF 2.5

I run the aggressor 2.5wt in the rear of my troy and haven't had any issues. More clearance than that of the bontrager pic you posted.

XR4's are pretty high volume and these were older and pretty stretched out so I am not surprised.

I don't believe the clearance issue is one of quality control. I do think they had a number they wanted to achieve on the chainstays and that drove it. It would be hard for me to believe that the rear assembly is coming out of molds with different clearances. That would make zero sense.

O+
Posted: Dec 25, 2019 at 8:13 Quote
Forkaster 2.35. These actually measure at the same height as the XR4's on my Django, which are newer than the XR4's I used earlier. I have 30mm internal rims on both. Seems to me if they had eliminated the bulge on the rear of the seat tube that could have grabbed back at least 5mm by moving the yoke forward.

photo

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2020 at 11:51 Quote
It is literally 65 degrees in MA today and I took full advantage of it to get my new Troy out on the trail for the first time.

Devinici Troy 29

It was first ride and not totally ideal for a test since there was still a few ice patches. Coming from my Django I expected the Troy to be a little cumbersome in comparison. It definitely did not feel like it. The bike pedals light with really good support from the Rock Shox rear shock. Speaking of suspension, this is the first time I've had a RS fork and shock in a long time. This Pike is a plush ass fork and stiff! Definitely glad I went with it. Bike climbs great, straight as an arrow. I think the Django is going to be a bit quicker on tight trails but we will see! This bike is only about a pound heavier than the Django at about 29.5 so it does not feel like a burden at all.

A word about the new Shimano XT. After a chain into the spokes I reset my low limit screw and that was it. Bike shifts both directions instantly regardless of power. It's excellent. Initially I did not like the chainline with the 2.5mm spacer on the drive side. I settled for a 1mm on the drive side and 1.5mm on the non-drive side. This gave me ideal chainstay clearance and a centered chainline (no chain drops pedaling backwards).

I do have to set the record straight on the rear tire clearance, If you recall, I posted this pic earlier with a Bontrager XR4 2.4:

photo

I don't know what the hell was with this rear tire. Either it was stretched out or an early model with inconsistent sizing. Today I took the rear wheel off my Django (with newer 2.4 XR4's) and set the rear wheel in with the axle set. Totally different story.

Devinici Troy 29

Not saying it's great but, seriously, that's a big difference. I rode the 2.35 Maxxis Forkasters today with decent results.

Hope those pics help someone in the future.

O+
Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 19:33 Quote
Thats a big difference in clearance between two of the same tire.

Posted: Jan 12, 2020 at 19:48 Quote
Tinshield,

This is getting interesting!

If you want to investigate, could you please put calipers on the casing to get the actual width? Could you also check the ETRTO markings on the side, such as 61-662?

If you happen to mount up the other tire that produced less clearance, could you do the same for it? The ETRTO markings wouldn't require mounting it.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 8:32 Quote
I don't have calipers but i will check the ETRTO markings later today.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 15:04 Quote
58-622 on both of them!

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 15:15 Quote
Thank you!

So strange that they're such different sizes. 58 mm is 2.28" and ETRTO sizing is usually pretty accurate. This would explain why the smaller one is similar to your 2.3" Forekaster.

There was a time when Bontrager tires were known to be quite large for their nominal size because they were one of the few that were true to size. Maybe the first tire you showed us is a true 2.4". The difference looks larger than 0.1", though.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 16:24 Quote
What about stretch?

Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 16:38 Quote
It's generally not much. A little in the first day of sitting there, a little in the first ride - my experience has been a millimeter or two.

Some tires stretch at high pressure. I've tried leaving tires of various brands at 70 psi all winter (almost half a year) to see what happened. Only two enlarged - one quite a bit - but they both went back to about the original size over the summer.

Since they're both Bontragers, even if they did stretch, they ought to stretch the same amount unless Bontrager changed factories between making your tires.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2020 at 18:18 Quote
I’m guessing the older set were like you said. Either early production or different factory.

Posted: Feb 22, 2020 at 10:22 Quote
Anyone have the black and yellow version?

I'm trying to add another colour (pedals and grips)

I want to see if anyones done it.

Thinking teal, purple or red.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.023264
Mobile Version of Website