2019 Stumpjumper Coil Shock

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Coil Shock
O+
Posted: Jul 10, 2018 at 14:17 Quote
About to get my new stumpjumper expert and the first thing I want to upgrade is the shock. Definitely wanting a coil and ideally want to avoid Ohlins after a couple buddies horror stories. Anyone have experience running a coil on the new stumpy's and have any advice to offer? I'm looking at the DB Coil CS specifically as I don't think the Fox DHX2 comes in a 210x50 size. Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!

O+
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 10:43 Quote
I've been running the Ohlins coil on my Enduro, SJ & Demo for 2 years now. The TTX is pretty much bomb proof. Curious if your buddies are on the air or coil?

I think fox is coming with a coil X2 that'll fit.

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 at 11:48 Quote
@rmgoff1 -> with the Stumpy did u go with the Spesh-mount version or running a bike yoke? How does it climb and does it bottom too easily? Is the HSC the real deal?

I’ve been toying with the idea of running a 190x50 TTX on my stumpy29 for a while now (with a bike yoke link to get a little extra travel). Pricey option tho. Currently on a Topaz. I’d run one of the two heaviest springs.

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2018 at 10:54 Quote
On my old SJ ran the SBC Shock Block.
New SJ is a standard eyelet.

Climbs well. The TTX compression firms up a lot more than the STX Air version. I'd say it climbs better, so yes the HSC is the real deal.

No problems with bottoming out. I ran a 471 lbs spring on the last SJ, 450 on the new. I'm about 205-210 riding weight.

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 6:35 Quote
rmgoff1 wrote:

Climbs well. The TTX compression firms up a lot more than the STX Air version. I'd say it climbs better, so yes the HSC is the real deal.

No problems with bottoming out. I ran a 471 lbs spring on the last SJ, 450 on the new. I'm about 205-210 riding weight.

It's a 571* not 471

O+
Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 21:03 Quote
rmgoff1 wrote:
rmgoff1 wrote:

It's a 571* not 471

So on the 2019 SJ you’re running a 450lb spring...121 lb lighter spring than the older SJ? Cane creek told me to get a 500lb spring for the 2019 SJ and my riding weight is 180.

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 6:04 Quote
Toryt7 wrote:
rmgoff1 wrote:
rmgoff1 wrote:

It's a 571* not 471

So on the 2019 SJ you’re running a 450lb spring...121 lb lighter spring than the older SJ? Cane creek told me to get a 500lb spring for the 2019 SJ and my riding weight is 180.

No I typo'd pretty hard!

It's a 571 & 550. It depends on the trails as well. I upped my fork to 160 recently and found with the new fork the rear end was sagged out too much. Upped it back to 571 on the new.

Sorry all for typing bad!!!

O+
Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 7:50 Quote
Ok cool that all makes more sense now. Thought the 500lb spring was a lot but I guess that’s just what the SJ linkage needs.

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2018 at 14:34 Quote
@rmgoff1

My LBS might be the hold up with talking to the right person, but where did you purchase your TTX shock/spring combo?

Our Specialized sales rep said they don't have any of the 210x50 shocks stocked like they used to (on the Specialized website), so I assumed that meant we'd have to go straight to Ohlins to get one. Also, did they help you sort out your spring rate/weight?

Pumped to get this figured out.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2018 at 6:05 Quote
@Blinderman129 my situation is not typical, I have a connection with Ohlins in Sweden and got it through there.

Since the shock doesn't have the proprietary shock block, Specialized won't be carrying AM shocks, at least at this point. Probably unlikely to at all.

Ohlins USA should have them and be able to get you sorted on coil weight. They are in North Carolina, not sure what affect the hurricane might have had on them right now.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2018 at 6:12 Quote
rmgoff1 wrote:
@Blinderman129 my situation is not typical, I have a connection with Ohlins in Sweden and got it through there.

Since the shock doesn't have the proprietary shock block, Specialized won't be carrying AM shocks, at least at this point. Probably unlikely to at all.

Ohlins USA should have them and be able to get you sorted on coil weight. They are in North Carolina, not sure what affect the hurricane might have had on them right now.

Ah. Makes sense. Yeah sadly I've called them (even before the hurricane) at least 3-4 times and can't even get a human on the phone. Guess I'll keep trying...or just consider trying the Cane Creek DB Coil CS.

Thanks man!

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2018 at 10:09 Quote
They are notoriously hard to contact Frown

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 9:05 Quote
rmgoff1 wrote:
They are notoriously hard to contact Frown

Had so much trouble dealing with them we stopped using Ohlins products!

Posted: Sep 18, 2018 at 12:50 Quote
Any updates? I'm really new to the coil world but have started doing some enduros and frankly never feel the need to use the lockout on my air shock. The extra weight isnt really a problem for me so I figured I'd try out a coil. What size and weight are you guys thinking?

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2018 at 10:03 Quote
DVO, MRP, push?
Does anyone know what comes in 210x52.5mm other than cane creek?

Thanks in advance.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013292
Mobile Version of Website