2019 Stumpjumper Coil Shock

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Coil Shock
Posted: May 16, 2021 at 16:07 Quote
Simann wrote:
zero00188 wrote:
Simann wrote:

Your stock eye to eye and stroke is 190x42.5mm on the ST link
The eye to eye and stroke with LT link is 210x50.

So yeah, if you find an Ohlins TTX in 210x50 and pair it with the LT link, you should be just fine. But you need to find one with the "Stumpjumper tune", it will make a big difference in performance as the TTX has a small range of adjustment. You don't want to get a TTX with the wrong tune and not be able to adjust it to suit the Stumpjumper.

William at Trail Labs has a few TTX 210x50 in stock..

https://traillabs.com/product/ttx22m/

On the trail labs link it doesn't say anything about the "stumpjumper tune" is it just that specific shock?

Email or message them on here and see if those are Stumpjumper specific.

https://www.pinkbike.com/u/traillabs/

Thanks for the help!

O+
Posted: May 20, 2021 at 7:00 Quote
Simann wrote:
manelnunez wrote:
I'm running a kitsuma coil with valt progressive in a alloy Evo 29 and it's ridiculous how good rides!! I'm so impressed with the performance...

I've got to say, the VALT Progressive spring did ride very good, and the difference between it and going VALT linear with the Cascade link is pretty much imperceptible. For the money, the VALT progressive coil is the cheaper way to go if you have the OE spec DHX2 shock.
Yes I think the same! The valt progressive paired with a nice shock makes the cc link much less required.

Posted: May 20, 2021 at 10:54 Quote
I was discussing something like that here before. Don't you think it seems the cascade is really design more around the air shock and air shock rider who wants a really progressive feel, and not so much aimed at the coil shock riders.

~JSV

O+
Posted: May 20, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
I was discussing something like that here before. Don't you think it seems the cascade is really design more around the air shock and air shock rider who wants a really progressive feel, and not so much aimed at the coil shock riders.

~JSV

It goes both ways, less volume spacers in an air shock so you don't compromise small bump compliance, or coil riders who need to run a stiffer spring to hit desired sag, but want to maintain small bump sensitivity.

Straight from their webpage on the LT link:

bigquotesOur link for the 2018 to 2020 generation of Stumpjumpers gives the suspension 70% more progression as well as an increase in travel.

This allows the bike to be run with a stiff enough spring to prevent harsh bottom outs, without having to compromise on small bump sensitivity or ride height.

For riders on air shocks, fewer volume spacers can be used to achieve the same bottom out resistance, opening up a wider usable range for those dealing with lots of volume spacers as well. As a result, the suspension can handle larger hits better than ever while maintaining loads of traction in rough terrain. The Stumpjumper LT link truly maximizes the bike’s descending capabilities.

Posted: May 20, 2021 at 15:51 Quote
I'm running the Cascade Link and a progressive coil. Rides just fine.

O+
Posted: May 20, 2021 at 16:33 Quote
Squirrel-155 wrote:

What's your riding weight, spring rate and sag?

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 9:50 Quote
Simann wrote:
Squirrel-155 wrote:

What's your riding weight, spring rate and sag?

Weight is 200 and usually shoot for 27-30% Sag on my aggressive pedal bikes. Running DHX2 w/ 52.5mm stroke and Cascade link on 29 Evo Pro.

Been running the Cane Creek Progressive Vault (550-670) and the DVO Prorate (575-700).

I prefer the softer rate of the Cane Creek on really bumpy rocky trails, but like the extra bottom out support of the stiffer DVO. I will admit that on larger hucks to flat I have a harsh bottom outs. I attribute some of this to me being too fat for the suspension design of the bike I'm riding. More motivation to pedal off some of the pounds.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2021 at 13:10 Quote
MegaMatt5000 wrote:
Amscarra1 wrote:
Do you think if you were running a 210x50 DHX2 this would have prevented this snapping from happening or do you think it was inevitable?? A bit nervous now as I’ve just ordered a DHX2 210x55 for my 29er comp alloy stumpy and definitely don’t want this happening! Also what free stroke are you running on that coil? I’m 83kg’s and looking at a 500 or 550lb spring with 2.35” free stroke... is that the right one to go for??

I do believe that would've helped. However, if the bike was originally designed for air, I typically do long stroke coils by ~5mm, because the bottom out bumper keeps you from using the last ~5mm or so of shock stroke. This was a 210x55, and I was using a 2.25" SLS spring, running a 450lb/in spring at 145 pounds.

That being said, I personally wouldn't run a coil again on this gen Stumpy. I was slamming into that bottom out bumper way too much with the spring rate that felt right. I tried bumping up to a 500lb/in spring, which helped with bottoming, but that gave me a bit too stiff of a ride.

Hope that helps.

Cascade helps that big time. I’ve been banging hard on the marzocchi bomber cr at 210x55 on 27.5 evo. At 220lbs geared I’m running 700lbs and it’s the best setup I’ve ever felt on any bike I’ve had. Almost pushing into enduro capabilities.

One thing to note, for me at least, is the cascade makes the bike so progressive I didn’t like it paired with a progressive coil. Made it almost too soft off the top, but I am a bit hefty.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2021 at 13:12 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:

~JSV

From the back and forth I’ve had with them I would say it’s the exact opposite. They highly recommended coil at my 200lb body weight. And their spring rate recommendation was bang on.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2021 at 14:30 Quote
I have to agree, at 215 lbs myself, the coil is just the better choice all around. I'm wanting an X2 or the new Float X, but those won't be available for another few months. Im leaning towards another X2 as it still preserves a coil-like feel. But that new Float X looks mighty nice.

Posted: Jun 15, 2021 at 12:19 Quote
Simann wrote:
I have to agree, at 215 lbs myself, the coil is just the better choice all around. I'm wanting an X2 or the new Float X, but those won't be available for another few months. Im leaning towards another X2 as it still preserves a coil-like feel. But that new Float X looks mighty nice.

what coil are you running? I bought a used 2019 Evo Expert 29 and it came with a Fox DHX2. I am 209lbs and not sure what weight spring I should run. I have a 500x2.35 and 550 spring. I am currently running the stock air shock, but want to try the coil.

Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 8:32 Quote
Rusnak322 wrote:

what coil are you running? I bought a used 2019 Evo Expert 29 and it came with a Fox DHX2. I am 209lbs and not sure what weight spring I should run. I have a 500x2.35 and 550 spring. I am currently running the stock air shock, but want to try the coil.

My recommendation would be to get a 650 lb spring ($30 new https://www.jensonusa.com/Fox-Steel-Rear-Spring-20-25-Stroke). From there you may want to go up or down depending on riding style and terrain, but @ $30 a pop its not a big deal to try multiple.

O+
Posted: Jun 16, 2021 at 14:27 Quote
Rusnak322 wrote:
Simann wrote:

On the DHX2 I had a cane creek progressive 550-670 lb which worked very well. But I did not like the idea of having such a small shafted shock at my weight so I swtiched to a Ohlins TTX22M and threw a linear Cane Creek VALT 650 lb spring as I also installed a Cascade progressive link. I'm right at 30% sag at 215 lbs. The rear end tracks very well, so much smoother than an air shock. It does lack a little pop, but thats just the nature of a coil.

When the new Float X comes avaiable I will try one of those. I can just jump to an X2 as I have plenty of experience on that shock, but the new Float X sounds like it may bring back some playfulness that I like but still be able to handle some rough stuff.

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 21:58 Quote
MegaMatt5000 wrote:
falkyn wrote:
For those that have a coil on the Stumpy. Are you having to run a stiffer spring or is there enough progression on the stock link?? Any issues with broken shafts??

I weigh 145-148lbs and run a 450lb/in spring. It's the right spring rate in terms of ride feel, but it's easy to bottom out if I pump hard through a dip or land to flat from a few feet up.

I can bump up to a 500lb/in spring to help with that, but then it just rides too stiff.

No issues breaking anything, and I've been running my DHX2 at a 55mm stroke.

Curious how you heard about broken shaft? I just put DVO Jade X on my 27.5

Posted: Dec 11, 2021 at 6:02 Quote
mattcooksb wrote:
Squirrel-155 wrote:
Dylandelisi441 wrote:
And also this debate between being able to run 210x55 or not. 210x52.5 is like the hardest to come by and I want as much travel as I can get. The chart I found on here about the cascade link says 50 = 145mm of travel, 52.5 = 153mm and 55 = 160mm

I'm curious. Has anyone run into clearance issues on the 29er w/ Cascade and a 210x52.5 or 210x55 shock?

Doesn't work on Carbon S3 Evo. Measure super carefully. The linkage hits my frame at 51.8mm of shock travel in high setting. David at Cascade recommended leaving 4-5 mm of clearance to account for frame flex on a hard bottom out. With a 50mm stroke shock, I'd only have 2 mm of clearance. Note that shock travel and frame clearance are not 1:1.

Additionally with my DVO Jade X, it's possible to go past 50mm since it's measured from around the middle of the rubber bumper. The Jade is based on a 55mm stroke shock that uses different spacers under the bottom out bumper to reduce travel. I'm going to probably run the -7.5mm spacer just to be safe which is technically 47.5mm travel. Assuming I'll get a little past 47.5mm, this puts me right at the proper clearance.

You have a Jade X on a stumpy? For how long?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013537
Mobile Version of Website