2019 Stumpjumper Coil Shock

PB Forum :: Specialized
2019 Stumpjumper Coil Shock
Author Message
Posted: Dec 11, 2021 at 6:18 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
I was discussing something like that here before. Don't you think it seems the cascade is really design more around the air shock and air shock rider who wants a really progressive feel, and not so much aimed at the coil shock riders.

~JSV

I thought it was for exactly the opposite? Make the the linear design more progressive so there’s is less stress + the added benefit of adding travel to the bike

Posted: Dec 11, 2021 at 6:28 Quote
Simann wrote:
Squirrel-155 wrote:
I'm running the Cascade Link and a progressive coil. Rides just fine.

What's your riding weight, spring rate and sag?

I weigh 190 lbs. The DVO Jade X I bought came with a 425 - 500 progressive spring.

I can tell just buy sitting on it and riding around the street, that spring weight is too low. My buddy has a 500 lb non-progressive which feels right but I haven’t ridden hard and with coil you can’t just add air with a pump so I will be going with one of the following progressive. Springs, 475 - 575 or 525 - 650 or these VALT springs everyone keeps talking about

O+
Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 14:09 Quote
getinsideways415 wrote:
Simann wrote:
Squirrel-155 wrote:
I'm running the Cascade Link and a progressive coil. Rides just fine.

What's your riding weight, spring rate and sag?

I weigh 190 lbs. The DVO Jade X I bought came with a 425 - 500 progressive spring.

I can tell just buy sitting on it and riding around the street, that spring weight is too low. My buddy has a 500 lb non-progressive which feels right but I haven’t ridden hard and with coil you can’t just add air with a pump so I will be going with one of the following progressive. Springs, 475 - 575 or 525 - 650 or these VALT springs everyone keeps talking about

At 190# you are looking at a 650 regular spring w/ Cascade link and will probably bottom a bit. They don't really make a progressive spring that is large enough for you. The 575-700 DVO Prorate spring will have too much sag. Also, the Jade X definitely will need to be custom valved if it isn't already.

Posted: Dec 14, 2021 at 15:42 Quote
Idk, I rode it in the middle setting all day prty hard and it seemed just fine. I definetly will be getting a new spring so I can use the “open” setting. 550 sls FOX spring

Posted: Dec 26, 2021 at 5:48 Quote
mattcooksb wrote:
getinsideways415 wrote:
Simann wrote:


What's your riding weight, spring rate and sag?

I weigh 190 lbs. The DVO Jade X I bought came with a 425 - 500 progressive spring.

I can tell just buy sitting on it and riding around the street, that spring weight is too low. My buddy has a 500 lb non-progressive which feels right but I haven’t ridden hard and with coil you can’t just add air with a pump so I will be going with one of the following progressive. Springs, 475 - 575 or 525 - 650 or these VALT springs everyone keeps talking about

At 190# you are looking at a 650 regular spring w/ Cascade link and will probably bottom a bit. They don't really make a progressive spring that is large enough for you. The 575-700 DVO Prorate spring will have too much sag. Also, the Jade X definitely will need to be custom valved if it isn't already.

What do you mean custom valved?

[PI=
photo
][/PI]

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 7:45 Quote
Hi!

I have the SJ LT 2019.
I've suffered a lot of chain slap since day one. Has anyone noticed any improvement on that with the Cascade link or progressive coil?

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 9:20 Quote
joliver wrote:
Hi!

I have the SJ LT 2019.
I've suffered a lot of chain slap since day one. Has anyone noticed any improvement on that with the Cascade link or progressive coil?

I have that bike, carbon expert
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/20614881/

I haven't really noticed any issue like that, with the chainslap. I DO though have installed the CC link from very early on. Only took a few rides before installing that--huge difference in performance too. I'm using the KMC Ti nitride gold chain, don't know if that means anything either, but chain LENGTH of course could be an issue. I went UP to a 32t absoluteblack chainring since I first got the bike, and the stock GX Eagle 10-50t cassette. Maybe if you installed a chain the length is a couple links too long?

I have the stock chain silencer and haven't needed anything else. I mean maybe once or twice I may have had the chain hit but seriously not enough to notice. I was going to get the STFU chain silencer but all last season didn't really need it. I have the (XL/S5) size frame too, you'd think the chainstay might be long there and still haven't any issues.

I wonder if riding a more active rear suspension with a lot more sag may have anything to do with chain slap? I mean I run about 25% on my factory DPX2 and like it kind of firm, so IDK if that means anything either.

I included all these details IN CASE any of it could help you compare since we're essentially riding the same bike.

~JSV

Posted: Jan 15, 2022 at 0:22 Quote
ScaryGuiTarS wrote:
joliver wrote:
Hi!

I have the SJ LT 2019.
I've suffered a lot of chain slap since day one. Has anyone noticed any improvement on that with the Cascade link or progressive coil?

I have that bike, carbon expert
https://www.pinkbike.com/photo/20614881/

I haven't really noticed any issue like that, with the chainslap. I DO though have installed the CC link from very early on. Only took a few rides before installing that--huge difference in performance too. I'm using the KMC Ti nitride gold chain, don't know if that means anything either, but chain LENGTH of course could be an issue. I went UP to a 32t absoluteblack chainring since I first got the bike, and the stock GX Eagle 10-50t cassette. Maybe if you installed a chain the length is a couple links too long?

I have the stock chain silencer and haven't needed anything else. I mean maybe once or twice I may have had the chain hit but seriously not enough to notice. I was going to get the STFU chain silencer but all last season didn't really need it. I have the (XL/S5) size frame too, you'd think the chainstay might be long there and still haven't any issues.

I wonder if riding a more active rear suspension with a lot more sag may have anything to do with chain slap? I mean I run about 25% on my factory DPX2 and like it kind of firm, so IDK if that means anything either.

I included all these details IN CASE any of it could help you compare since we're essentially riding the same bike.

~JSV

Thank you for all the details!
I came to a bike workshop to check the transmission after I installed a new Sram GX AXS, so I guess the chain length is good.

The problem it might be related with the rear suspension like you said. I have the stock Deluxe shock. I realized that it came with all tokens installed, and even that I have to run about 30% to avoid bottom outs, but it feels to firm.
I think the CC link would be a very good improvement to solve that and remove some tokens. Or spend more money in a ohlins ttx with the stumpjumper tune

Posted: Apr 8, 2022 at 12:54 Quote
Jumping in to add my experiences to the written record since I’ve experimented lots with this platform with various shock setups.

Had an alloy evo 29 that I ran with a CC DB IL coil at 55mm stoke (loved how this shock used a removable spacer to easily swap between 52.5 and 55mm) using a progressive VALT spring. Feel was great but still too many harsh bottom outs at the bike park, so I threw a Cascade link in the mix to address that. As this required a change in spring rate, I tried both a regular and progressive VALT spring and found myself still preferring the progressive spring. It was a dreamy setup until I snapped the damper shaft (I’d gotten my shock like a month before they officially declared that shock incompatible with stumpys).

I was on a trip visiting friends in PNW at the time and was lucky to catch a deal on an X2 that was also fantastic with the cascade link - ultimately ditched that bike due to low bottom bracket woes living on the east coast getting me down.

Now I’m riding a size L stumpy carbon 29 with the cascade link and a 50mm super deluxe ultimate. The performance has been good for winter riding and general trail use, but I know it’ll struggle with the higher speeds and bigger hits as parks and more trails open up. Looking at getting a Marzocchi CR that can take my collection of VALT springs that also has a nice fat damper shaft I can be more confident in.

My question is this: has anyone gone full ham here over stroking a carbon frame with with a cascade link? I had no clearance issues on the alloy evo but not sure I’ll find the same success with the carbon frame.

O+
Posted: Apr 9, 2022 at 21:59 Quote
curiousincident wrote:
Jumping in to add my experiences to the written record since I’ve experimented lots with this platform with various shock setups.

Had an alloy evo 29 that I ran with a CC DB IL coil at 55mm stoke (loved how this shock used a removable spacer to easily swap between 52.5 and 55mm) using a progressive VALT spring. Feel was great but still too many harsh bottom outs at the bike park, so I threw a Cascade link in the mix to address that. As this required a change in spring rate, I tried both a regular and progressive VALT spring and found myself still preferring the progressive spring. It was a dreamy setup until I snapped the damper shaft (I’d gotten my shock like a month before they officially declared that shock incompatible with stumpys).

I was on a trip visiting friends in PNW at the time and was lucky to catch a deal on an X2 that was also fantastic with the cascade link - ultimately ditched that bike due to low bottom bracket woes living on the east coast getting me down.

Now I’m riding a size L stumpy carbon 29 with the cascade link and a 50mm super deluxe ultimate. The performance has been good for winter riding and general trail use, but I know it’ll struggle with the higher speeds and bigger hits as parks and more trails open up. Looking at getting a Marzocchi CR that can take my collection of VALT springs that also has a nice fat damper shaft I can be more confident in.

My question is this: has anyone gone full ham here over stroking a carbon frame with with a cascade link? I had no clearance issues on the alloy evo but not sure I’ll find the same success with the carbon frame.

I’ve overstroked a 2020 Evo Pro which is carbon and has a CC link and no issues. It’s close and one could say that if you have a hard enough bottom out the rubber bumper could compress and allow the frame to contact but haven’t had any issues yet.

If you can, install the shock with no spring and then compress it fully to see what clearance you have. If you can’t tell because you can’t remove the limit spacer easily, use a ruler to gauge what the extra travel would do by removing the front bolt and compressing further. Not exact but it will give you enough of an idea to make a relatively educated decision.

The reality is, it’s gonna be close and depending on your appetite for risk, may not be worth it.

Posted: Apr 11, 2022 at 4:57 Quote
Glad to hear this, thanks for the info. I'd definitely install it without the spring to do a clearance check before sending it. I figure if it looks too sketchy I could probably modify the spacer I have from the Cane Creek shock to fit and reduce the stroke a bit, or turn it into a little 3D printing project if need be.

O+
Posted: Apr 14, 2022 at 21:10 Quote
I've been running a Marzocchi Bomber CR on my 2019 CC Stumpy with a 500# Fox steel spring and Cascade Components link for about 7 months; thought it was about time to share my experience:

I'm 6'0/183 cm and 160 lbs/72kg on a large frame.

I started with just the Bomber CR and a coil, but I got the Cascade Components link after bottoming out on a huck to flat a few times (which jolted my ankles). It really was night and day - my Stumpy coil conversion came to life. Downhills are a breeze now, and I've only bottomed out hard once in the last 4-5 months on a sketchy landing.

Part of the reason I bought the Stumpy was that I liked the way it climbed during a demo. What I lose in pedal bob, the coil makes up for in unbeatable traction, so if the rear wheel lets go on an uphill, it's usually due to my own poor climbing skills.

I didn't overstroke my setup because I was worried about the tolerances with the carbon frame. @curiousincident see the attached photo for the CR and a Cascade Components link tested without the spring in place, flip chip on high. It's tight but just enough clearance. The Fox steel spring is weighty, so I've been looking at upgrading the spring. I found a killer deal on an Ohlins coil 18076 50mm 480# spring from a shop in Nevada. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that the Ohlins 50mm spring was too short and wouldn't preload properly with the Bomber CR. I have an extra Ohlins coil now, if anyone's looking...

My conversion aligned with a move to Marin County from Portland, OR, for work. While I love the coil setup, it's overkill for my riding down here. This setup would be a no-brainer if I were still in Portland riding at Sandy and Post. However, I'd sacrifice the grip for a lighter air shock with a lockout - if anyone wants to trade coil for air (@curiousincident), PM me. I'm keeping the linkage, though.

TLDR; Bomber CR coil shock good. Cascade Components link good. Fox steel heavy. Love coil setup, overkill for Marin County riding. Could trade for air.

photo
Bomber CR clearance with Cascade Components link and no coil

Posted: Apr 17, 2022 at 9:40 Quote
Yeah, it’s definitely not ideal in all riding terrain. For my part, I got the bomber and running it with 55mm of stroke in low mode leads to the seatstay bridge hitting the seat tube before a full bottom out. High mode clears, but with a 9point8 angle set pushing the front end of this bike up as it is, I will definitely end up reducing stroke for more clearance so I can get the BB back down to where it feels better on the trail.

Still gotta mess with spring rate - the 550-675 VALT spring gave me a pretty harsh bottom on a mid-trail pull that was definitely not the heaviest landing it’ll see, and I’m like 165 lbs with gear right now. Was a little surprised by this, guess I just have to go for a super heavy spring since I could live with it being firmer off the top and having a bit more pop. Unfortunately this looks like the heaviest progressive spring they make so I have some more head scratching to do.

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 6:27 Quote
natealator wrote:
I've been running a Marzocchi Bomber CR on my 2019 CC Stumpy with a 500# Fox steel spring and Cascade Components link for about 7 months; thought it was about time to share my experience:

I'm 6'0/183 cm and 160 lbs/72kg on a large frame.

I started with just the Bomber CR and a coil, but I got the Cascade Components link after bottoming out on a huck to flat a few times (which jolted my ankles). It really was night and day - my Stumpy coil conversion came to life. Downhills are a breeze now, and I've only bottomed out hard once in the last 4-5 months on a sketchy landing.

Part of the reason I bought the Stumpy was that I liked the way it climbed during a demo. What I lose in pedal bob, the coil makes up for in unbeatable traction, so if the rear wheel lets go on an uphill, it's usually due to my own poor climbing skills.

I didn't overstroke my setup because I was worried about the tolerances with the carbon frame. @curiousincident see the attached photo for the CR and a Cascade Components link tested without the spring in place, flip chip on high. It's tight but just enough clearance. The Fox steel spring is weighty, so I've been looking at upgrading the spring. I found a killer deal on an Ohlins coil 18076 50mm 480# spring from a shop in Nevada. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that the Ohlins 50mm spring was too short and wouldn't preload properly with the Bomber CR. I have an extra Ohlins coil now, if anyone's looking...

My conversion aligned with a move to Marin County from Portland, OR, for work. While I love the coil setup, it's overkill for my riding down here. This setup would be a no-brainer if I were still in Portland riding at Sandy and Post. However, I'd sacrifice the grip for a lighter air shock with a lockout - if anyone wants to trade coil for air (@curiousincident), PM me. I'm keeping the linkage, though.

TLDR; Bomber CR coil shock good. Cascade Components link good. Fox steel heavy. Love coil setup, overkill for Marin County riding. Could trade for air.

photo
Bomber CR clearance with Cascade Components link and no coil

Hey man, I’m from Marin too! That’s crazy lol small world.

Thanks for you input btw! But I also don’t think you’ve ridden everything in Marin if you think the coil is too much.

Posted: Apr 19, 2022 at 6:41 Quote
Last update for me:

I recently bought a few more things for my bike and I added the FOX SLS spring. (Super light, perfect for my color scheme lol)

I went with 550 which could arguably be slightly under my weight (190lbs) for this bike and the linearity of the frame design, but honestly I think it’s perfect. Although my DVO JADE shock does come with a “lockout” that surprisingly does work very well, so I don’t have that annoying bobbing feeling when climbing. I’m surprised to hear people are bottoming out and hearing things becuz I ride really hard and also jump a lot and have never had any problems. Something to mention, I’ve noticed scratches on the side of my seat tube, idk if the picture will do it justice but I am worried there’s too much flex going on?

photo

photo


 


Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016197
Mobile Version of Website