2017 Bronson Fox Suspension Setup Questions

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
2017 Bronson Fox Suspension Setup Questions
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 14, 2018 at 8:13 Quote
Having a tough time dialing in both front and rear. Front is a 2018 Factory 36 Fit and the rear is a 2019 X2. I weigh in at about 205 in gear.

The fork is getting better. Dialing in slowly but still feels like my wrists are going to give after a long fast charge down a washboard (Lion Down at Vail for ex ).

Rear is still too stiff but feel like I am bottoming out often. I have one spacer left. Pressure is at 200.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 13:09 Quote
I own a bronson alloy R since april and i've spent quite some time on it. The shock is a float DPS.
I tried to adjust my shock but can't dial it correctly.
I honestly think the suspension kinematic is messed up on this bike. Beginning stroke is pretty harsh so you don't have grip. The suspension doesn't ramp up, so, even with high pressure, you bottom out even on very little hits and jumps.
No comfort, no support.

I can't figure how the guys at SantaCruz designed this suspension, produced, tested and said "OK, it's fine".

Sorry for my non perfect english but I hope you got my point.

Cheers

Posted: Jul 16, 2018 at 15:37 Quote
Heckler44 wrote:
Having a tough time dialing in both front and rear. Front is a 2018 Factory 36 Fit and the rear is a 2019 X2. I weigh in at about 205 in gear.

The fork is getting better. Dialing in slowly but still feels like my wrists are going to give after a long fast charge down a washboard (Lion Down at Vail for ex ).

Rear is still too stiff but feel like I am bottoming out often. I have one spacer left. Pressure is at 200.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The X2 I put on my Bronson is the best non coil shock I've ever used. I've used the Monarch Plus (came stock), Fox DPX2, and X2 on the shock and it is by far the best performing once you get it dialed in.

Sounds to me like you have a bit too much pressure in there and need volume spacers. Here's what I run and I'm about 190 lbs kitted:

Shock: 180 psi
Sag ~15mm = 26%
LSR: 16 clicks (All shock clicks left)
HSR: 15 clicks
LSC: 19 clicks
HSC: 17 clicks
Max vol spacers

I rarely bottom out and it takes drops up to about 10 ft to do it. Can't comment on the front as I run a Lyrik.

Jonnyrider - The suspension kinematics with the bike definitely are not messed up, but do provide a different feel than other suspension designs. Traits of the Gen 2 Bronson VPP design are regressive, linear, progressive for shock rate which can lead to a harsh feeling off the top. This may be what you're feeling, but you shouldn't be bottoming out if that's the case. Since I'm a relatively heavy rider I do not mind the harsh top as I seem to be able to force through it. The anti squat is also fairly consistent through the first bits of travel and then drop off deeper into the travel and is relatively high which leads to a firm pedaling platform and the ability to leave the shock open. Have you tried adding volume spacers? What you briefly described sounds to me like the first thing I would try is volume spacers. Also recognize that the Float DPS is not a high end shock and you will be better off with something like a piggy back DPX2 or X2.

Posted: Jul 17, 2018 at 17:36 Quote
Thanks, I have adjusted based on my weight and shock pressure. I will give it a try here soon hopefully.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.009778
Mobile Version of Website