Bike set up for faster Strava times? Please share your thoughts, especially if you designed the bike.

PB Forum :: Guerrilla Gravity
Bike set up for faster Strava times? Please share your thoughts, especially if you designed the bike.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 9:51 Quote
Hey everyone proud owner of a Smash with full fox air suspension. I have been competing at my local trail for a KOM. So the trail is a mix of small climbs and moderate tech. There are some small drops. I recently ran my best time while leaving the bike in climb mode while riding the segment. Did doing this really help me or did I just have a better run. I shaved about 30 seconds off a 2.8 mile trail.

Currently I’m in 3rd. 1st and 2nd are both 30-70 lbs lighter than me and on carbon xc bikes.

Any suggestions to how I can get the Smash into the KOM?

Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 12:23 Quote
KyleBurke wrote:
Hey everyone proud owner of a Smash with full fox air suspension. I have been competing at my local trail for a KOM. So the trail is a mix of small climbs and moderate tech. There are some small drops. I recently ran my best time while leaving the bike in climb mode while riding the segment. Did doing this really help me or did I just have a better run. I shaved about 30 seconds off a 2.8 mile trail.

Currently I’m in 3rd. 1st and 2nd are both 30-70 lbs lighter than me and on carbon xc bikes.

Any suggestions to how I can get the Smash into the KOM?

lighter smaller tires, maybe more air pressure in tires and shocks, then leave lockout open

Posted: Jul 15, 2018 at 19:55 Quote
I currently run 28 psi front and 30 rear. I use the fox factory settings and ran the bike in open, trail and climb mode. With climb mode being my fastest time thus far. However, it was my most recent and maybe just being more fimilar with the trail benefited me. Would I get any benefit going a few clicks away from the factory settings? The fork is a grip 2.

Posted: Jul 22, 2018 at 22:41 Quote
Cushcore and a Coil.
Rail everything.
Profit

Posted: Jul 22, 2018 at 22:59 Quote
take every short cut you can find, and when you almost at end of trail throw your phone to get a speedy time

Posted: Jul 23, 2018 at 0:17 Quote
The app can be inaccurate, if you are that close to KOM just keep riding the trail, and eventuality you either get faster or the app will miscalculate in your favor.

Posted: Jul 24, 2018 at 19:15 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
The app can be inaccurate, if you are that close to KOM just keep riding the trail, and eventuality you either get faster or the app will miscalculate in your favor.

Your absolutely right, I rode the best I’ve ever rode on the section. Hit all the lines perfect never dropped to 0. And ended up riding the the section a minute slower than my PR. Also have premium and I remember the app telling me I did the section in a certain time, only at the end that same time being a minute different. Next time I’ll use my Casio to test it.

Posted: Jul 24, 2018 at 23:53 Quote
Get yourself fitter and take some skills coaching as that will make a bigger difference than bike set up. Or just convince yourself the app has miscalculated the faster rider's times and forget about it.

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 3:42 Quote
e bike should do the trick lol

Not sure what tires you run, but if you can get away with less grip a tire with less tread rolls a lot faster. I notice a big difference swapping between my E13 and x-king tires for example.

Posted: Jul 30, 2018 at 18:08 Quote
Ok problem has been solved. Took my bike over to my mother in laws house a few months ago. My nephews and nieces were over there. They changed the settings to the exact opposite settings of factory. It’s a grip 2 so even being completely wrong for me it was not that bad. But since it’s back on factory I’ve since dropped a few more mins off my time. Also lowered the tire pressure slightly, which led to more grip in corners and faster maintained speed. I have also learned to try to maintain constant, limit high watt intervals to reduce hr spikes and potential of bonking.

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 at 9:53 Quote
It sounds like you pretty much figured this out, but since I was summoned in the thread title...

Generally as far as bike setup goes, the stiffest suspension setup that you can still handle will be fastest, and as mentioned, getting the tire setup dialed as far as having full confidence at high lean angles is crucial. That means setting tire pressures precisely with a gauge that can make 0.5 psi changes, repeatably.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017880
Mobile Version of Website