Why are mountain bikers so short?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Why are mountain bikers so short?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 16, 2018 at 12:47 Quote
I’m 5’11” and prefer a Large frame over Medium. I just checked the BuySell section for used All Mountain bikes for sale in the US. Results were 450 Small, 2000 Medium, 1800 Large, and 530 XLG, so plenty of Large used bikes to choose from within your budget. I think you would have to double or triple what you are willing to spend to find a new bike with 160 mm travel. You can easily find a new hardtail for under $1300, but a good used full suspension will probably cost more.

I ride a 2014 Rocky Mountain Altitude 770 Rally Edition, the bike is awesome, but cost a little more than your budget. You could probably find one for $2k or a aluminum 730/750 within your budget.

If you don’t mind 26 inch wheels, you can get an older bike pretty cheap.

And no, you are not too specific but you may need to increase your budget slightly for a really good 27.5/160mm bike. I was specific however; after doing some research, I knew the bike I wanted was the Altitude so that was all I searched for.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 17, 2018 at 7:31 Quote
I'm 5'10" on a large here. Would likely be on a XL if I were 6'0"

Posted: Jul 17, 2018 at 9:08 Quote
I’m 6 foot on the dot and had the same problem last year purchasing a bike. Shop only had a medium, and it was a few hundred more to order a large. Ended up going with a medium Devinci Django, put a tad longer stem in and perfect. I prefer the fit over my large frame hardtail, much more nimble. If I were looking at a longer bike (travel wise) I think I’d bump up to a large tho.

Posted: Jul 17, 2018 at 16:50 Quote
I'm a tall person. 6'5. Being in this mountain bike world blows my mind how tiny everyone is. I played basketball competitively back in the day and was around average height. These days, surrounded by mountain bikers, i'm basically Yao Ming. Dudes who are like 5'11 are riding XL frames. Get outta here those are supposed to be made for me!

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 10:42 Quote
Gpsorenson wrote:
cwefing wrote:
I’m 6 foot on the dot and had the same problem last year purchasing a bike. Shop only had a medium, and it was a few hundred more to order a large. Ended up going with a medium Devinci Django, put a tad longer stem in and perfect. I prefer the fit over my large frame hardtail, much more nimble. If I were looking at a longer bike (travel wise) I think I’d bump up to a large tho.
I currently ride a medium jamis Dakar. I put a 100mm stem on and the length is perfect but it ruined the handling of the bike for me.

I’ve got a 60mm on mine handling is still nice.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 11:09 Quote
I actually can't believe anyone would compromise with a frame too small for them because of availability of a certain model, and then trying to compensate with a longer stem.. That is a lot of money to spend on something that doesn't fit you correctly.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 11:21 Quote
cdmbmw wrote:
I actually can't believe anyone would compromise with a frame too small for them because of availability of a certain model, and then trying to compensate with a longer stem.. That is a lot of money to spend on something that doesn't fit you correctly.

Welcome to my world. Until this recent trend of long low and slack, everything felt like a child's bike to me. Anytime I stand and pedal, I feel like the handlebars are right in my crotch. Steering is ridiculous in tight sections and the over-the-bars feeling was my normal riding stance. This new trend is basically bringing me something that is rideable. There wasn't anything with super long reaches until ~2 years ago.

Posted: Jul 18, 2018 at 17:51 Quote
cdmbmw wrote:

Based on the riding I do the medium tinkered to my liking is perfect. The guideline said 6 foot was the end for the medium. I just wanted a little bit more space so I added a longer stem. Each person is different in sizing. Not everyone is into the long bike fad. Gimme the smallest bike possible that works and let me rip it.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 7:47 Quote
cwefing wrote:
cdmbmw wrote:

Based on the riding I do the medium tinkered to my liking is perfect. The guideline said 6 foot was the end for the medium. I just wanted a little bit more space so I added a longer stem. Each person is different in sizing. Not everyone is into the long bike fad. Gimme the smallest bike possible that works and let me rip it.

Those guidelines are typically pretty off from what I've seen. At 5'10" the medium Remedy felt super cramped. Felt like a camel riding a tortoise.
To each their own I suppose, but I have to ask if you have tried a longer bike, as the advantages are very real. There is a reason almost all of the professionals are riding a size up from the 'guidelines'.

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 9:36 Quote
cdmbmw wrote:
cwefing wrote:
cdmbmw wrote:

Those guidelines are typically pretty off from what I've seen. At 5'10" the medium Remedy felt super cramped. Felt like a camel riding a tortoise.
To each their own I suppose, but I have to ask if you have tried a longer bike, as the advantages are very real. There is a reason almost all of the professionals are riding a size up from the 'guidelines'.

I have rode a few longer bikes and I do like them going down but where I ride isn’t crazy downhill so I didn’t need a long bike.

Posted: Jul 20, 2018 at 20:04 Quote
Gpsorenson wrote:
Now I created this thread because I cannot for the life of me seem to find many large bikes. I know there are a decent amount out there but it seems as though the medium to large frame ration is 60:1. I know smaller bikes are fun to throw around but havent people caught on to the "longer the bike the better craze", or are mountain bikers just short? I am about 6ft and prefer a large while many people still ride mediums. Is it just preference to ride a smaller bike or are there just a lot of short mountain bikers out there. Also i woulsnt mind if people could point out some large 160mm trail bikes on pinkbike or in the so cal area as I can not find one. I am in the 12-1300 max budget range and prefer 27.5. Am i just too specific?

On Jensen USA you can get any size diamond back mission one with 160mm travel in front and rear on 27.5" for only $1,500

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011421
Mobile Version of Website