XXL MountainBikers

PB Forum :: Pinkbike Groups
XXL MountainBikers
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 16:49 Quote
Hey guys starting this because I haven’t found any forums for big riders, I’m 6’7 280# and wear size 52eu. The time spent searching for bikes, gear and clothing could qualify as a second full time job. This is a thread for questions and recomendations for the xtra xtra tall riders. Where finding gear is a struggle.

Posted: Jul 19, 2018 at 16:50 Quote
Was wondering if there are any other brands then Santa Cruze that have a XXL Carbon frame on the market.

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 2:01 Quote
Are you looking for a trail rig or DH?

I'm 6'8" and 440lb with a sz50 shoe. I know what you mean about finding stuff to fit...
I'm on an XL GT sanction for trail duties and an old large ironhorse Sunday for DH.
Geometron offer trail/enduro and DH bikes in yuuge sizes, mondraker have some out as well (florent payet is our height and racing a XXL summum pro 29er on the world cup)

I'll keep an eye on this thread, I'm in industry so if anyone is looking for recommendations on "Clydesdale" gear, happy to help out

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 5:08 Quote
I was going to suggest Santa Cruz.. I follow Reggie Miller (ex Indiana Pacer) on Instagram and he rides an XXL frame from SC. Trek and Specialized both make XXL frames, if I'm not mistaken.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 8:22 Quote
CamShreds wrote:
I was going to suggest Santa Cruz.. I follow Reggie Miller (ex Indiana Pacer) on Instagram and he rides an XXL frame from SC. Trek and Specialized both make XXL frames, if I'm not mistaken.

SC only makes XXL 29ers which might be a issue for some people, and even then they aren't that long (i'm 6'2 and can comfortably ride an XXL)
Specialized doesn't have XXL on their site but maybe they used to? not for the new stumpy and the enduro.

Mondraker is a good idea as their frames are long as f*ck. (medium size has a reach of 480mm which is longer than an XL santa cruz)

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 9:16 Quote
You could look at a Pole, they are really long in wheelbase

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 10:10 Quote
sosburn wrote:
CamShreds wrote:

SC only makes XXL 29ers which might be a issue for some people, and even then they aren't that long (i'm 6'2 and can comfortably ride an XXL)
Specialized doesn't have XXL on their site but maybe they used to? not for the new stumpy and the enduro.

Mondraker is a good idea as their frames are long as f*ck. (medium size has a reach of 480mm which is longer than an XL santa cruz)

Right on. I've been looking at the XL Cotic FlareMax and XL Starling Murmur (Factory), at 500mm and 515mm respectively, I believe. Transition Smuggler XL 510mm.

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 17:18 Quote
el-booto wrote:
Are you looking for a trail rig or DH?

I'm 6'8" and 440lb with a sz50 shoe. I know what you mean about finding stuff to fit...
I'm on an XL GT sanction for trail duties and an old large ironhorse Sunday for DH.
Geometron offer trail/enduro and DH bikes in yuuge sizes, mondraker have some out as well (florent payet is our height and racing a XXL summum pro 29er on the world cup)

I'll keep an eye on this thread, I'm in industry so if anyone is looking for recommendations on "Clydesdale" gear, happy to help out

I currently ride a Fuel Ex 8 29er', Solid bike but i have toasted 4 bontrager rear hubs in 5 months. I also cracked the frame, currently in the process of a new one. I'm thinking really hard at a transition for the time but deep down I am holding out for evil to come out with a XXL Frame. I've been told directly from people in the know that it is coming at some point. I have only found two shoes that fit for clipless and ZZZZZero for flats, Sidi and Shimano ME3.

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 17:28 Quote
CamShreds wrote:

Santa Cruz is one of the only producers of a Carbon XXL frame that I have found but to ride one it feels more like an XL with the reach. I'm looking for a carbon frame but despite what popular opinion is on SC, I'm not so stoked on the suspension platform they put forward and think they are overpriced for what is on the market.

O+
Posted: Sep 26, 2018 at 19:47 Quote
I'll see if I can revive this thread. Was about to start a very similar one.
6'9" 220 pounds. I ride a 23" trek xcaliber. So far I've only bent a seatpost, which I'm sure will be a recurring problem. Im curious to know more about how Sedounut is destroying these hubs. Are you on modern thru axles or 9mm qr? I have the older qr's on my bike and am very worried about my rear wheel whenever the trail gets even a little rough.
Also considering a full suspension next summer and was wondering if rider weight should be taken into account when looking at suspension travel? Should a heavier rider go for longer travel than a lighter rider on similar terrain and skill sets?

Posted: Oct 15, 2018 at 8:08 Quote
dlboettger wrote:
I'll see if I can revive this thread. Was about to start a very similar one.
6'9" 220 pounds. I ride a 23" trek xcaliber. So far I've only bent a seatpost, which I'm sure will be a recurring problem. Im curious to know more about how Sedounut is destroying these hubs. Are you on modern thru axles or 9mm qr? I have the older qr's on my bike and am very worried about my rear wheel whenever the trail gets even a little rough.
Also considering a full suspension next summer and was wondering if rider weight should be taken into account when looking at suspension travel? Should a heavier rider go for longer travel than a lighter rider on similar terrain and skill sets?

Hey dude,

I am riding currently a 18' Fuel EX 8 eagle 29er XXL, modern geo and thru axles boosted. The issue I have had with the bontrager hubs is the engagement ring for the palls. The '18 hubs are tig welded on four points of the engagement ring to the hub body. The issue is that with the new Eagle drive train in the 50 tooth cog the amount of torque generated blows out the engagement ring welds. The way to work around this is to have a threaded engagement ring into the hub body like the industry 9s or to scrap the pall system completely and head over to DTSWISS town. I opted to do the later and have not had an issue since. It only took 4 rear wheels replaced through warranty for me to make the swap over to dtswiss.

For suspension travel I wouldn't worry to much for how heavy you are, the tech has advanced so much that the pressures necessary are attainable easily. The Fox Evol cans that trek is putting on their bikes go to 350psi and that seems to work for me and i'm 60 pounds heavier. I would be more focused on the terrain that you are riding for your suspension. I ride in Sedona AZ and have a 140 front 130 rear travel. The more travel the shittier the climb the less travel the shittier the decent. Its all splitting hairs when your said and done. The one thing that is buccu important for me is the wheel base distance. this helps to feel stable in the rough. long, slack, and plush. Which is damn near impossible to find in our size. The largest bike I have found on the market for full suspension is the one that i own.

I do Mountain bike fest every year and demo all the new stuff. I'm excited to try the evil offering when it comes out because the suspension is pretty bomber but it only comes in a XL that is as big as santa cruz's XXL but still falls short the the Fuel EX in overall size. Kiss the dream of carbon goodbye for the time being. Hope this helped

Shred on

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010787
Mobile Version of Website