Transition Sentinel clang!?

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Sentinel clang!?
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 10:49 Quote
adrenalated wrote:
Let me preface this with the disclaimer that I don't own a Sentinel, and am far from an expert on suspension tuning. However, a few thoughts:

1) it is mind boggling to me that you've been screwing around with suspension tuning for nearly a month and just now got the sag set correctly. That should have been the very first thing you did. Your other suspension settings, especially rebound, are dependent on air pressure and will need to be tweaked once you get the air pressure/sag set correctly.

2) the recommended sag is just that, a recommendation designed to work well for the majority of riders. You may find that you're happier with how the bike performs with the sag set slightly outside of the recommended zone. It wouldn't hurt to add a bit more air pressure (set the sag in the 28-31% range instead of the recommend 32-34%) and try it, see how it feels both pedaling and descending.

3) according to the Fox volume spacer chart, you shouldn't be running the 1.02 in^3 volume spacer in that shock.
https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=568&ref=search
The 205mm x 57.5mm shock is supposedly just a 205x60 with a spacer in it to limit travel. The 0.6 in^3 spacer is the largest spacer Fox recommends for that size. It's possible you damaged your shock running the bigger spacer. This would be a question for Fox.

4) Are you absolutely positive that it is actually the shock bottoming out causing the "clang?" I've ridden several bikes recently with DPX2 shocks and went through all the travel on all of them and never heard any sort of clanging sound when the shock reached the bottom of it's stroke. Are you positive that you don't have a loose bolt somewhere - one of the pivot bolts, rear axle, etc?

My responses to yours.

1 - I had previously owned and ridden two Transition frames and thought I would first ride with their original sag settings when they first released their Patrol frame as I had an idea in my head and wanted to follow through with it.

2 - With the air pressure currently at 210psi and 19mm of sag, I will not be adding any more pressure as I would be getting bucked around too much on terrain to warrant adding more pressure.

3 - The 0.6 spacer is the stock spacer that comes installed and that would seem odd to me that Fox sells a spacer kit for the DPX2. I went to my local shop and spoke to a tech who owns a Sentinel and recommended the 1.02 spacer

4 - I'm pretty damn sure

A couple conclusions, First, I called Fox and the tech I spoke to recommended sending it in (which would be my last resort as I would hate to not have a ride able bike for at least a couple weeks. Second, I called Transition and spoke to Lars (who knew he would answer the phone) spoke to him for a few minutes and he recommended that I check the measurement of the shock after clanging/bottoming out to verify that the o-ring is pushed out to where all of the travel in the rear shock is being used. He also mentioned that he was surprised that I would be using all of my travel with my current settings when he himself (being a pro rider and riding the f*ck out of his bike) that with his settings in psi and a .08 spacer installed, and he does not bottom out.

Taking the bike to the shop and getting this shit figured out.

Posted: Aug 19, 2018 at 21:18 Quote
Step down; clang; every lap; three laps in a row. Still been talking with Lars at Transition Bikes and hoping something can be rectified to get this problem sorted out and fixed.

Posted: Sep 3, 2018 at 19:09 Quote
2019 Fox Float X2 installed.

Going to be sending my DPX2 into Fox to have them inspect it to find the fault/problem. In the meantime I went ahead and purchased a Fox X2 and then had my local shop reduce the stroke length to work my Sentinel frame. So far, smooth operator...

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 10:22 Quote
First I was thinking about putting a coil on my Patrol, but now I'm more inclined to the X2 to replace the DPX2.

Did you notice any difference in terms om the bike being less poppy with the X2?

Posted: Sep 4, 2018 at 13:20 Quote
RNeves wrote:
First I was thinking about putting a coil on my Patrol, but now I'm more inclined to the X2 to replace the DPX2.

Did you notice any difference in terms om the bike being less poppy with the X2?

No, matter of fact it was more so. So far it’s an improvement over the DPX2 in every way. Still will be dialing it in. But I’m loving it so far. Pumped it up to 190psi with the stock LSC and HSC from the factory and it’s been a blast. Haven’t found the need to use the climbing switch yet and it’s working out great thus far.

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 at 5:54 Quote
austenselk wrote:
2019 Fox Float X2 installed.

Going to be sending my DPX2 into Fox to have them inspect it to find the fault/problem. In the meantime I went ahead and purchased a Fox X2 and then had my local shop reduce the stroke length to work my Sentinel frame. So far, smooth operator...

Did you take a look at your seat tube?
I have an XL Sentinel (same year and colour) and I get a clang when bottoming out.
Couldnt figure it out, then it dawned on me to check to see if the seat stay brace was contacting the frame at full compression.
It wasn’t, but had an extremely close gap and a dent on my seat tube right where the brace would contact. Measured all the shock dimensions, these are correct. It seems that the frame is flexing under load enough to cause the two points to contact each other.
Transition have told my lbs that some early models had the brace welded too high up on the seat stays.
They first offered a replacement seat stay on warranty but not a front triangle as they said it was only dented and not structural, however and unsurprisingly, this offer was refused! I’m about a month in and still on the same frame waiting for the outcome.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015113
Mobile Version of Website