Capra CF vs CF Pro

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Capra CF vs CF Pro
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 at 16:36 Quote
Hello,

Come here for some advice. I'm leaning towards buying a new bike, currently own a stock 2014 Kona Process 153. So far I love the process, climbs OK and shreds on the down's. Nothing wrong with it, just wan't a new bike.

I was planning on getting a new 2018 Transition Patrol GX build, which is $4,000 but couldn't help but notice the Capra CF for $3,700 which is better spec'd + carbon.

So, now I wan't to ask if it's worth making the effort and going for the CF Pro or just stay with the CF? I don't mind having XT over XTR drivetrain, the only concern is making the "upgrade" to Fox 36 Performance and Fox X2 Performance front / back.

I've read the Lyric RCT3 + Superdeluxe RC3 is a great combination and in some cases, even some reviews state the Lyric RCT3 is better than the Fox 36 Performance.

Last, is the Capra that sluggish on the climbs or will I be able to live with it?

What would you suggest?

Cheers!

O+
Posted: Jul 23, 2018 at 16:49 Quote
SK250 wrote:
Hello,

Come here for some advice. I'm leaning towards buying a new bike, currently own a stock 2014 Kona Process 153. So far I love the process, climbs OK and shreds on the down's. Nothing wrong with it, just wan't a new bike.

I was planning on getting a new 2018 Transition Patrol GX build, which is $4,000 but couldn't help but notice the Capra CF for $3,700 which is better spec'd + carbon.

So, now I wan't to ask if it's worth making the effort and going for the CF Pro or just stay with the CF? I don't mind having XT over XTR drivetrain, the only concern is making the "upgrade" to Fox 36 Performance and Fox X2 Performance front / back.

I've read the Lyric RCT3 + Superdeluxe RC3 is a great combination and in some cases, even some reviews state the Lyric RCT3 is better than the Fox 36 Performance.

Last, is the Capra that sluggish on the climbs or will I be able to live with it?

What would you suggest?

Cheers!

I debated between the 2 and went with the pro due to quicker availability at the time. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the CF (non pro). Here's why: I exchanged the wheels, which is another small difference. The cassette is the same and there is no discernible difference between XT and XTR...and who cares about a carbon crank? Finally, the Fox DPX2 has been disappointing. It ramps too quickly for the frame and the lack of high speed compression adjustment is a bummer.

If mine came with the X2 I may be humming a different tune (29 vs. 27.5). The Performance Elite 36 is so far not as good as my other 2017 36 Factory, something that Fox is working with me on. It's sticky and nearly impossible to use all the travel. I've seen rumors of over greasing of the 2018 air piston at the factory. I have yet to take it apart but I may just opt for a full rebuild.

I climb a lot, typically 1500-2500 feet a ride and love it. The steep seat angle, 29 inch wheels and long reach put you right in between the wheels. I put my DPX2 in trail mode (the only time I like the shock is when I'm climbing) and slug away.

Posted: Jul 24, 2018 at 8:57 Quote
ryan83 wrote:
SK250 wrote:
Hello,

What would you suggest?

Cheers!

I debated between the 2 and went with the pro due to quicker availability at the time. If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with the CF (non pro). Here's why: I exchanged the wheels, which is another small difference. The cassette is the same and there is no discernible difference between XT and XTR...and who cares about a carbon crank? Finally, the Fox DPX2 has been disappointing. It ramps too quickly for the frame and the lack of high speed compression adjustment is a bummer.

If mine came with the X2 I may be humming a different tune (29 vs. 27.5). The Performance Elite 36 is so far not as good as my other 2017 36 Factory, something that Fox is working with me on. It's sticky and nearly impossible to use all the travel. I've seen rumors of over greasing of the 2018 air piston at the factory. I have yet to take it apart but I may just opt for a full rebuild.

I climb a lot, typically 1500-2500 feet a ride and love it. The steep seat angle, 29 inch wheels and long reach put you right in between the wheels. I put my DPX2 in trail mode (the only time I like the shock is when I'm climbing) and slug away.

Thanks for the reply. The 2018 Capra CF comes with X2 back and 36 Performance Elite upfront. I'm not sure if that combo is better than Lyric RCT3 + SuperDeluxe RC3.

And yeah, i'd rather spend the 500 bucks on chinese carbon wheels rather than XTR and better cranks...

Another concern; how does the bike handle mild single track? My riding area has gnarly chunky stuff but also has lots of mild but fast single track..?

Cheers,

Posted: Jul 24, 2018 at 9:47 Quote
You have to take into account that it's really easy to change the Lyrik air spring for a debonair 2019, for 50 bucks, which makes it a very very good fork as far as we know.

The Super Deluxe is a good rear shock, but on some intance (the case for the Torque for example), the rebound tune is really bad for light people. Not sure if there is the same issue for the Capra tho. It's not a very tunable shock too (in a RS maner, set and forget) which can be an issue, depending on you.
I think, absolutly not sure, that X2 is not a "performance elite" version (factory without kashima) but a "performance" one, you have less tuning possibilities. I think I saw this, but really not sure, needs confirmation (it's named "performance elite" on the website but I still have a doubt).

The rest of the specs are not very significant. Personnally I chose the CF because I like RS and don't see spending 600 bucks more for not gaining a lot, except the wheels but I'll swap them later.
Had to take the white and red tho... not my first choice in term of colour scheme obviously (but should look ok with some red parts), the grey looks stunning.

O+
Posted: Jul 24, 2018 at 10:11 Quote
On the mild single track, it depends. I think that is going to depend on your tire/wheel combo. I’ve found my 29er to be an excellent all around bike, more so than my 650b enduro. It’s also faster downhill if Strava is accurate. The progressive nature of the suspension makes my bike feel very lively, almost to a fault. I think I’ll end up keeping my DPX2 as a long-day shock and getting a coil for rowdy/park days.

O+ FL
Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 10:03 Quote
The Performance Elite X2 only has external LSC/LSR adjustment. It's confusing because the Perf Elite 36 has HSC/LSC, yet the Perf Elite 40 only has LSC... Fox goofed up with the whole "Perf Elite is Factory just without Kashima!" thing, totally untrue.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.017893
Mobile Version of Website