How long does your bike last you?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
How long does your bike last you?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 30, 2018 at 16:55 Quote
I ride until it is no longer serviceable to me ie: too costly to repair, too hard to get parts. Then I donate it to someone or drop it off at 'Recycle Cycles' so they can repurpose it. I upgrade/update as necessary along the way.

Bikes are too expensive these days and I have too many hobbies to be switching rides every 2-3 seasons.

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 5:51 Quote
My bikes tend to evolve, how fast they evolve depends on how much I have enjoyed riding them and if I have discovered some trait I don’t like. So for example my last bike I purchased whole but no longer have was a Commencal Meta AM V4 when it came out new. Great bike except it only took me a few months to hate the frame, so the frame got replaced with an NS Snabb, it evolved from a Commencal to an NS, I didn’t replace the whole bike, really just the frame not even the shock. I still ride the NS and have no plans to change it, will be racing it next month and I guess it will mostly be ~3 years old then and it seems to have a lot of life left.

Most of my bikes have been like that, they get stripped parts assessed and if still good reused on the next build. It was only the great value of direct sales that got me to buy a complete new bike.

So 3 months or 3 years who knows.

Some people say stuff like “it’s worn out” when B.B., headset and linkage bearing are toast, to me that’s normal servicing. When people give reasons like that to change a bike I think it’s really just an excuse as they want a change.

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 6:49 Quote
I have an 50 years old 20" city bike made by slovenian factory Rog Bikes, for last five years it was kept in storage room due to damaged wheels, drivetrain etc, frame is cromolly, it was kept outside for its first 40 years on the rain, mud, snow, frame has only a thin layer of inside surface rust which can be pilled off easly using wd-40, i have plans to repaint a frame and rebuild a bike...i can post pictures of it...it look similar like todays modern foldable 20" city bikes, it also has bmx dropouts...i dont know when exactly bmx has been invented, but this bike is much older, so i assume that bmx dropouts are in fact an old dropouts from vintage bikes...

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 7:24 Quote
StevieJB wrote:
My bikes tend to evolve, how fast they evolve depends on how much I have enjoyed riding them and if I have discovered some trait I don’t like. So for example my last bike I purchased whole but no longer have was a Commencal Meta AM V4 when it came out new. Great bike except it only took me a few months to hate the frame, so the frame got replaced with an NS Snabb, it evolved from a Commencal to an NS, I didn’t replace the whole bike, really just the frame not even the shock. I still ride the NS and have no plans to change it, will be racing it next month and I guess it will mostly be ~3 years old then and it seems to have a lot of life left.

Most of my bikes have been like that, they get stripped parts assessed and if still good reused on the next build. It was only the great value of direct sales that got me to buy a complete new bike.

So 3 months or 3 years who knows.

Some people say stuff like “it’s worn out” when B.B., headset and linkage bearing are toast, to me that’s normal servicing. When people give reasons like that to change a bike I think it’s really just an excuse as they want a change.

I figure after replacing a full drivetrain a couple times it's time for replacement. Eventually you will have paid more than what the bikes worth in maintenance and IMO that's silly.

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 8:44 Quote
I have cracked a frame 1 time in all my days , to actually wear a bike out is a strange thought , you will have outdated geo way before you wear it out , wearing out and servicing drivetrain and suspension is very reasonable to expect

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013683
Mobile Version of Website