Modern aggresive hardtail or older full sus?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Modern aggresive hardtail or older full sus?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 7:18 Quote
Looking at getting a new frame as my current one (voodoo bantu 2009) is too xc focused for what I want. It doesn't feel stable and smooth enough going down and the steep head angle doesn't get it over rocky/very uneven terrain confidently.

I can't decide between:

A modern (2016-2018 ) aggresive hardtail frame with as slack geometry as I can find and 27.5 wheels like a cotic bfe
or
An older therefore likely less slack and long but full sus frame with 26" wheels. Or maybe slightly newer and with 27.5 if I find one I can afford

I want whatever will ride better downhill.

I don't want to spend more than £250 second hand

To give an idea of what I'll be riding I'm in sheffield right next to the peaks and I mainly ride my local mtb specific trails (lady cannings, parkwood, idk if this means anything to anyone xD). I don't want to sacrifice descending performance for climbing although within reason - I don't want a DH bike lol.

I basically want the bike that will ride the best downhill, that's not a DH bike or an expensive modern full sus.

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 9:27 Quote
I'd go for the Bfe! I imagine one of those would be great fun at Lady Cannings.

Posted: Jul 25, 2018 at 13:30 Quote
I have the 2016 bfe 275 with the bolt through rear and stealth routing for the reverb, stuck a 1 degree works components head set on too and it’s is brilliant bike,
Sounds right for you , just check the sizing as the are quite long compared to some.

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 9:59 Quote
Guess I'll go with the bfe lol. That thing with the headset sounds interesting if I get an older version.
But 26 or 27.5? gonna have to get new wheels either way as current ones are 9mm qr :/

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 10:15 Quote
If you go with bfe, would definitely try and get a 275 instead of 26 though,
They’re great bikes, also plenty of other makes too ! Stanton,Ragley and on one plus loads more.
Do a bit of research, there is nothing better than building up your own bike and getting out on it.

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 12:00 Quote
Heard of ragley, did consider a bluepig. Also I've looked at on-one (another sheffield company Smile Smile Smile ) for the deedar, Sonder transmitter, Dartmoor hornet, Orange P7 although none I found were as slack/long as the bfe Big Grin . Not heard of stanton I'll have a look now.

Any other makes I should look at?

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 12:04 Quote
oooooh looks like this stanton might be slacker than a bfe Wink

O+ FL
Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 12:35 Quote
A Nukeproof Scout may be a good bet.

Posted: Jul 26, 2018 at 14:30 Quote
If I can find one lol

Posted: Jul 27, 2018 at 3:56 Quote
Well if your current bike is holding you back and you buy a full susser with about the same geometry youve basically got the same thing with a more forgiving rear end.

If its agressive geo youre after you should get the hardtail. Perhaps one with good tyre clearance. When you find the ride too harsh you could then try bigger tires.

Posted: Jul 28, 2018 at 7:12 Quote
Until I find a used 2017/18 bfe frame I think I'll get a 2014 ragley bluepig or on one 456 evo 2 and stick an angled headset on it. Any thoughts on these frames? I've read the 456 has a particularly harsh ride but I've seen them go for around £30 on ebay so for that price I could deal with it until I get the bfe lol.

Posted: Jul 28, 2018 at 7:39 Quote
Paulh110 wrote:
I have the 2016 bfe 275 with the bolt through rear and stealth routing for the reverb, stuck a 1 degree works components head set on too and it’s is brilliant bike,
Sounds right for you , just check the sizing as the are quite long compared to some.

Just thought - if I'm sticking with a 26 bike for now it's worth keeping my current fork which uses a straight (1 1/8") steerer. Apparently the 2014 bluepig can take straight or tapered steerers but will the straight steerer work with an angled headset?

Also does using the angleset risk snapping the headtube Confused . Or am I right to assume its ok as long as I don't slacken the head angle past the angle for the longest fork option (160mm)?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012238
Mobile Version of Website