Benefits of schrader valves

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Benefits of schrader valves
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 4:46 Quote
Please could someone knowledgeable enlighten me as to the benefits of schrader valves over presta valves on mountain bike wheels?

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 7:06 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
Please could someone knowledgeable enlighten me as to the benefits of schrader valves over presta valves on mountain bike wheels?
- You cannot bend valve core with clumsy pump
- you don't need schradder-->presta adapter on gas pump

Whatever other benefits there are they don't matter, because most manufacturers in MTB world (and road as well) switched to presta because it need a smaller hole in the rim (6mm vs 8mm for schradder) and rim is more durable then. Probably some other benefits too.

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 10:34 Quote
shraders are being used in the industry and not only on tires but in a wide range of applications for years, without to many complains or issues

prestas are used mainly by roadies.

that, on it's own says a lot...

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 14:12 Quote
Smaller diameter hole for the presta and heaps more grief and money accociated that comes with them
Expensive cores
Pump adaptors
General pain in the arse

The argument used to be they can handle more pressure but since we can pump up our rear shocks to over 200 psi using a schrader that one died.

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 4:02 Quote
There is almost no new higher-end MTB bike (Wallmart and simmilar bikes excluded) that has schradder valves in last few years. So nope, its not used only by roadies Smile

adespotoskyli wrote:
shraders are being used in the industry and not only on tires but in a wide range of applications for years, without to many complains or issues

prestas are used mainly by roadies.

that, on it's own says a lot...

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 12:20 Quote
yeap, but mtb evolved from road cycling and brought the bad gene, it will go away eventually,

prestas should be banned!

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 13:45 Quote
A Presta valve has a metal body and a lock nut to keep the valve in position even if innertube pressure gets low. When the pressure drops too low on a typical Schrader valve tube, the tire will often slide on the rim under braking and take the tube along with it. This bends a Schrader valve over at an angle and usually the rubber on the outside of the valve gets cut by the edge of the rim valve hole and starts a leak. Wish I had a dollar for every one like that I've replaced since I got into the bike business. Here and there you find Schrader tubes with threaded metal bodies and locknuts, but they aren't real common.

Beyond that, it's pretty much like wheel size. Pick the one you prefer, then act like a dick about it. Personally, I don't care. I make money on both.

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 20:09 Quote
So far I’ve had one failure of a shrader & one Presta fail. The shrader failed as a cut, the Presta failed by an extremely bent valve core? stem. The Presta airs up easier, the shrader is generally more robust. I just put whatever tubes & haven’t gone tubeless.

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 at 4:28 Quote
I am generally a calm man, I don't like to get mad at much. And when I do get mad, I know how to step away so I don't rage at my work. But when it come so the stooopid BS presta garbage crap that they call a god damn upgrade. It's thing like this that make me wish that the person who developed this product would receive a squirt of lemon juice in their eye every time they are with in a 50 meter radius of a lemon. Yeah they are real great at not slipping and sliding on the rim with low pressure. Well they better be cause you sure as hell ain't getting air back in the prick any time soon. the only solution for this joke is a 5/16 drill bit and a bit of sand paper.

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 at 6:16 Quote
There are threaded schraders valves as well, cut them from an old tube and used them as tubless valves. Maxxis and conti tubes have threaded schraders for that reason

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 at 8:04 Quote
adespotoskyli wrote:
There are threaded schraders valves as well, cut them from an old tube and used them as tubless valves. Maxxis and conti tubes have threaded schraders for that reason

I've always used Schwalbe tubes for their threaded shaft. Also have pimpin' clear valve caps too Pimp

Posted: Aug 6, 2018 at 15:34 Quote
I use schrader, because it is much simpler to use, and i use tubes in all tires, because tubless is a pain in the ass, if i get a puncture i just use patch to patch tire and tube, simple and effective, tubless is a pain in the ass...my whole bike is maintenance free, and trouble free, single speed, tubes, schraders, and will equip it with a coil fork also...to be more maintanance free, and trouble free, that means mlre riding for me...only lubrication and cleaning of rotors and pads...ahhh a simplicity of an ss bike...what a relief..

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 5:24 Quote
jura87 wrote:
I use schrader, because it is much simpler to use, and i use tubes in all tires, because tubless is a pain in the ass, if i get a puncture i just use patch to patch tire and tube, simple and effective, tubless is a pain in the ass...my whole bike is maintenance free, and trouble free, single speed, tubes, schraders, and will equip it with a coil fork also...to be more maintanance free, and trouble free, that means mlre riding for me...only lubrication and cleaning of rotors and pads...ahhh a simplicity of an ss bike...what a relief..

I'm gonna buy one of these new fangled maintenance free bikes, are they expensive?

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.014631
Mobile Version of Website