Hope V4s vs. Magura MT7s

PB Forum :: Downhill
Hope V4s vs. Magura MT7s
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 20:39 Quote
These are my two options for a brake for enduro and bikepark use. I want something with power and consistency. What do you recommend as i cant test these. I like a bite-y feel. also might consider saints

Posted: Jul 31, 2018 at 21:16 Quote
jmartinbiking wrote:
These are my two options for a brake for enduro and bikepark use. I want something with power and consistency. What do you recommend as i cant test these. I like a bite-y feel. also might consider saints

Ive used both and the Hope's cant hold a candle to MT7's. Period. MT7 is currently the best brake on the market IMO. Add an HC3 lever and they cant be touched. Powerful and consistent. (I do want to test out the new Hayes brakes though just for my own sake)

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 4:48 Quote
Hopes in any iteration are shockingly bad in my experience. Modulation is their term for not enough power.
MT7's have power. The standard lever work for big hands. Personally I'm not happy with the plasticky levers & poor/expensive parts availability if I snap a lever.
Mating a shimao saint lever to an mt7 caliper seems to be a good option if you like how shimano's feel. In which case it makes sense to get mt5's as they are loads cheaper. Google shigura.

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 6:51 Quote
MT7s will have a much more "bite-y" feeling than the Hopes.

I had a pair of V4 on the enduro, that I replaced with a pair of MT7, and then upgraded to HC3 levers. So far, I prefer a lot more the MT7. The overall power might be close (I believe the MT7 have more raw power), but it delivers it with a lighter touch.

Only problem I have so far is the pad clearance around the rotor is veeeery tight, and the slightest of wobble on the rotor will make it sing. Hate it, might eventually buy a set of brand new rotors and pray they're 100% straight, but that's me being picky with brakes.

Bleeding is easier (altho a bit messier) on the Hope brakes, and if you buy brand new MT7, remember to only use the Magura blood mineral oil (not sure if it's still the case, but a year or 2 ago they used to refuse warranty claims just because there was like Shimano mineral oil instead of their oil).

Both V4 and MT7 will cope very well with heating, I've overheated both brakes pretty badly, and they have yet to fail me. If you go for the V4, forget the metallic pads included in the box and stick to the "standard" pads.

As mentionned by mcozzy, they do feel pretty cheap and plastic-y, and the clamp screws are literally wood screws with a torx head. I've never overtightened brake master cylinder clamps, but then I always leave them slightly loose so they'll move in case of a crash. Never moved while riding though. Parts are pretty easy to come by in Europe, but you'll have to buy them in Germany (bike-components or hibike stock a lot of magura spare parts for example). Unless you have a Magura dealer nearby I guess.

Saints, don't like them, the lever feel changes depending how you press the lever, even out of the box. That's a big no to me, I like a constant lever feel.

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 21:47 Quote
mcozzy wrote:
Hopes in any iteration are shockingly bad in my experience. Modulation is their term for not enough power.
MT7's have power. The standard lever work for big hands. Personally I'm not happy with the plasticky levers & poor/expensive parts availability if I snap a lever.
Mating a shimao saint lever to an mt7 caliper seems to be a good option if you like how shimano's feel. In which case it makes sense to get mt5's as they are loads cheaper. Google shigura.

Add the HC3 lever as I stated above and they are amazing brakes. So much lever adjustment on the HC3's. And no plasticy feel.

Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 21:49 Quote
Ploutre wrote:
MT7s will have a much more "bite-y" feeling than the Hopes.

. The overall power might be close (I believe the MT7 have more raw power), but it delivers it with a lighter touch.

Only problem I have so far is the pad clearance around the rotor is veeeery tight, and the slightest of wobble on the rotor will make it sing. Hate it, might eventually buy a set of brand new rotors and pray they're 100% straight, but that's me being picky with brakes.

Not even close on the power. Hope's dont even come close to the braking power of the Magura.

And you are 100% correct on pad to rotor clearance. I forgot to mention that. Mine are super tight as well and my front rotor does rub the pads as its not perfectly true. But it doesnt make any noise while riding. Im using Icetech rotors.

Posted: Aug 2, 2018 at 8:14 Quote
I've ridden both a fair bit, and I'm never going to buy a Hope brake again. They're wildly underpowered for what they are, which is confusing, because Hope has the technology to build properly powerful brakes, they just choose not to.

MT7 is the best brake I've used so far, and pretty much the only mainstream DH brakes I haven't tried are the current SRAM Codes, the Direttissima and the Formulas.

No idea how they hold up to crashing though. I crashed a lot with my Hopes and they held up fine.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010510
Mobile Version of Website