YT Tues Headset - Acros AiX-325

PB Forum :: Downhill
YT Tues Headset - Acros AiX-325
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 1, 2018 at 6:51 Quote
Hey all.

After taking apart my headset on my Tues, cleaning everything out and putting it back together I noticed that the headset dustcap would rotate by hand with little force. However, there is no play in the headset that I can notice... Unfortunately before taking everything apart and putting it all back together I never chrecjed to see if the dustcap spun by hand. Does anyone notice this, if they have a YT Tues CF?

I actually emailed Acros about this, after taking apart the headset and putting it together trying to get the dustcap to stay still. This is the email:

Me:
Hey there. I purchased a YT Tues and it came fitted with the Acros AIX-325 headset. The dust cap spins by hand, is this suppose to happen? It still rotates with the bar but it can spin with force. Everything is tightened correctly, it’s a dual crown fork setup. The odd thing is that there’s no play that I can notice, I even brought it to a couple bike shops to ask on thoughts and we loosened/retightened everything and still getting the rotated dust cap while everything seems tight..

Thanks!

Acros:
Hello Nathan,

on the AIX-325 that is normal. The Integrated standard headset is used on different bikes/manufacturers and need to cover different offsets. The headset cover is adjustable in the high to cover those differences. Just the inner part of the cover got a fix high to adjust the preload of the bearings and transfer the forces.

—-

Anyone else have a spinning Acros dustcap?

Thanks!

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 11:24 Quote
Two ideas, it's just barely too loose of an adjustment and you need to tighten your headset and/or there is a spacing shim missing or installed wrong. I've had this problem on other bikes and that has always fixed it so far.

Posted: Aug 7, 2018 at 22:10 Quote
LoganKM1982 wrote:
Two ideas, it's just barely too loose of an adjustment and you need to tighten your headset and/or there is a spacing shim missing or installed wrong. I've had this problem on other bikes and that has always fixed it so far.

Definitely didn’t need to be any tighter. Actually tightened it so much trying to get it to not spin and I wrecked the bearings. As far as I know all the pieces of the headset are still there. Acros response to my email kind of made sense but I still don’t like the idea of a spinning dustcap. Got a cranecreek headset, which is ultimately better anyway, that I’ll be installing tomorrow.

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 8:25 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
LoganKM1982 wrote:

Definitely didn’t need to be any tighter. Actually tightened it so much trying to get it to not spin and I wrecked the bearings. As far as I know all the pieces of the headset are still there. Acros response to my email kind of made sense but I still don’t like the idea of a spinning dustcap. Got a cranecreek headset, which is ultimately better anyway, that I’ll be installing tomorrow.

Yeah I replaced the headset on my Aluminum Tues with a Funn headset. Way easier to deal with. That and the old school steez of looking down and seeing "Funn" laser etched on my bike. It's surprising to see Acros on so many direct sale bikes when all I hear about their headsets is bad. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the world cup DH bikes running acros are really just running an acros stem cap on a decent headset.

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 at 4:22 Quote
LoganKM1982 wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:
LoganKM1982 wrote:

Yeah I replaced the headset on my Aluminum Tues with a Funn headset. Way easier to deal with. That and the old school steez of looking down and seeing "Funn" laser etched on my bike. It's surprising to see Acros on so many direct sale bikes when all I hear about their headsets is bad. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the world cup DH bikes running acros are really just running an acros stem cap on a decent headset.

I got the canecreek headset and it did not fit properly. The bottom bearing wasn’t quite as tall as the acros one (so the headtube was very close to the lower crown) and the top bearing was being pressed too much and seizing. So I guess canecreek doesn’t work with the Tues CF 2017.. contacted YT asking what headsets would fit and all they was that the Acros is the only headset they know fits as they haven’t tried using any other headsets... so stuck buying the shitty Acros bearings for $100 CAD + $25 shipping... the canecreek headset was $80 CAD free shipping and came with everything - dustcap etc. Another struggle with Acros is how difficult it is to get the actual bearings.. have to contact Acros and wait for a reply, wait for them to create an order and then send a payment via PayPal. Total pain in the ass and it sucks because I don’t even want their shitty bearings... well, the bearings might just be alright but the seals are absolutely terrible and the fact that water leaks out of the headset is not a good sign of bearing protection. Have the same issue with my Jeffsy... spinning dustcap and already feeling dirt and shit in the headset after 2 rides. Horrible

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 18:43 Quote
nateisgrate wrote:
LoganKM1982 wrote:
nateisgrate wrote:

I got the canecreek headset and it did not fit properly. The bottom bearing wasn’t quite as tall as the acros one (so the headtube was very close to the lower crown) and the top bearing was being pressed too much and seizing. So I guess canecreek doesn’t work with the Tues CF 2017.. contacted YT asking what headsets would fit and all they was that the Acros is the only headset they know fits as they haven’t tried using any other headsets... so stuck buying the shitty Acros bearings for $100 CAD + $25 shipping... the canecreek headset was $80 CAD free shipping and came with everything - dustcap etc. Another struggle with Acros is how difficult it is to get the actual bearings.. have to contact Acros and wait for a reply, wait for them to create an order and then send a payment via PayPal. Total pain in the ass and it sucks because I don’t even want their shitty bearings... well, the bearings might just be alright but the seals are absolutely terrible and the fact that water leaks out of the headset is not a good sign of bearing protection. Have the same issue with my Jeffsy... spinning dustcap and already feeling dirt and shit in the headset after 2 rides. Horrible

Anyone know what the YT Mob run in their world cup race bikes? No way they are using Acros trash... I think they use Kogel (german?) BB's not sure on headset tho.

Posted: Aug 30, 2018 at 21:46 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Anyone know what the YT Mob run in their world cup race bikes? No way they are using Acros trash... I think they use Kogel (german?) BB's not sure on headset tho.

From pictures I’ve seen Aaron Gwin riding with the Acros headset, or at least the acros headset top cap...

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 6:40 Quote
We have two Tues CF's and I can confirm the headset cover can be turned by hand when it's all installed and correctly tightened.

I had trouble aligning my headset bearings correctly after I took it apart, it kept coming loose every ride, but I managed to get it set properly before my recent 10 day trip to Morzine and it hasn't given me any bother since.

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 11:25 Quote
jimferno wrote:
We have two Tues CF's and I can confirm the headset cover can be turned by hand when it's all installed and correctly tightened.

I had trouble aligning my headset bearings correctly after I took it apart, it kept coming loose every ride, but I managed to get it set properly before my recent 10 day trip to Morzine and it hasn't given me any bother since.

What do you mean , trouble aligning the bearings? Didn’t know that they had to be set in the head tube a certain way..

Posted: Aug 31, 2018 at 15:46 Quote
If you don't have them set perfectly straight in the cups when you sinch it up it all comes loose pretty quickly under hard riding. The bearings float in the headtube until you tighten it all up, not a brilliant design if I'm being totally honest.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012797
Mobile Version of Website