2016 Knolly Warden - Replace all frame bearings in last 4 months twice?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2016 Knolly Warden - Replace all frame bearings in last 4 months twice?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 10:40 Quote
Hi There,

I have a 2016 knolly warden, and in February i replaced all the frame bearings, pivot bearing and bb bearing as suggested by the shop. Now I brought my bike back in and apparently all the bearings, pivot and bb need replacing again.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced pre-mature bearing wear on their warden (or similar), and can offer any insght on why this happened and what i can do to avoid.

I understand that many variables impact bearing wear. I average 1 ride per week (intermediate), have hit the bike park twice, and I typically clean my bike with a garden hose (no attachment) and muck-off. The bike is stored in my underground parking. I also asked the shop if they knew how the bearings failed (ie corrosion, cracked or wear), but apparently the bearings broke (inner and outer race separated), when removing so they were discarded before considering this.

Thanks!

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 11:31 Quote
nanogram wrote:
Hi There,

I have a 2016 knolly warden, and in February i replaced all the frame bearings, pivot bearing and bb bearing as suggested by the shop. Now I brought my bike back in and apparently all the bearings, pivot and bb need replacing again.

I am wondering if anyone else has experienced pre-mature bearing wear on their warden (or similar), and can offer any insght on why this happened and what i can do to avoid.

I understand that many variables impact bearing wear. I average 1 ride per week (intermediate), have hit the bike park twice, and I typically clean my bike with a garden hose (no attachment) and muck-off. The bike is stored in my underground parking. I also asked the shop if they knew how the bearings failed (ie corrosion, cracked or wear), but apparently the bearings broke (inner and outer race separated), when removing so they were discarded before considering this.

Thanks!

Wow, that is really odd as the bearings in knollys bikes are a very high quality bearing.

I rise similar amounts - but I never hose my bike off - but I doubt that is your issue.

Personally I would call up Knolly directly - a bike shop is only so good for diagnosing problems - and asking on the Internet is going to get a variety of responses.

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 11:34 Quote
onemind123 wrote:
nanogram wrote:
Hi There,

Thanks!

Wow, that is really odd as the bearings in knollys bikes are a very high quality bearing.

I rise similar amounts - but I never hose my bike off - but I doubt that is your issue.

Personally I would call up Knolly directly - a bike shop is only so good for diagnosing problems - and asking on the Internet is going to get a variety of responses.

I have been in contact with Knolly and they agree that it is very unusual, but don't really offer any information on why. I am a little concerned that the frame is out of alignment, but apparently this is rare and I would notice the shock being out of centre.

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 11:46 Quote
nanogram wrote:
onemind123 wrote:
nanogram wrote:
Hi There,

Thanks!

I have been in contact with Knolly and they agree that it is very unusual, but don't really offer any information on why. I am a little concerned that the frame is out of alignment, but apparently this is rare and I would notice the shock being out of centre.

Myself, I would not have an lbs check my bearings. It is so easy to pull the rear triangle off, and feel the bearings so see if they are loose or gritty or whatever the problem is.

Whenever I have ever changed bearings I always pull off the seals, wash out the grease that they are shipped with, and repack them with a high quality grease.

Before winter /wet season riding I typically do that without removing the bearings from the bike as well.

Of my knollys (vtach, delirium, chilcotin, and endorphin) I have only had to replace one set of pivot bearings ever.

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 11:47 Quote
Also the shop is saying the bottom bracket bearings are shot again as well?

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 12:08 Quote
onemind123 wrote:

All 9 frame bearings and the bb bearing (and the front wheel too) needed replacement.

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 12:23 Quote
Bearings are usually a bit sticky after a wash or a ride in the rain... that is not the same as worn out.

If I only rode once a week, my bearings would last many years.

Imho the shop thinks you are a mark or the mechanic is lazy or a novice.

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 12:26 Quote
rpet wrote:
Bearings are usually a bit sticky after a wash or a ride in the rain... that is not the same as worn out.

If I only rode once a week, my bearings would last many years.

Imho the shop thinks you are a mark or the mechanic is lazy or a novice.

I am kinda leaning that way as well.

If the mechanic is just basing it on the Knolly rear triangle not moving freely with the shock disconnected, that is due to the super tight igus bushings and is perfectly normal.

The part of the bb also being replaced makes me think the op is either being taken advantage of or needs to stop washing the bike so much

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 12:30 Quote
nanogram wrote:
onemind123 wrote:

All 9 frame bearings and the bb bearing (and the front wheel too) needed replacement.

OK, then one of two things -

1. either everything is actually ok, and the shop is taking advantage of you (bb bearings and wheel bearings have nothing to do with Knolly)

2. Too much water being used when washing.

Let the dirt dry and brush it off with a dry brush.

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 12:53 Quote
The diagnosis was based on play in the rear end. Most people I know wash their bikes fairly frequently including a wash station at most trailheads in BC without bearing issues like this, but I will certainly change my cleaning tactic

Posted: Aug 3, 2018 at 13:22 Quote
nanogram wrote:
The diagnosis was based on play in the rear end. Most people I know wash their bikes fairly frequently including a wash station at most trailheads in BC without bearing issues like this, but I will certainly change my cleaning tactic

Ya, if you are going through pivot bearings, bottom bracket bearings, and wheel bearings every 6 months it is a function of your environment.

Start greasing/repacking your bearings yourself. Minimum twice a year if you are washing weekly.

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 at 15:20 Quote
Where are you riding? I don't have any Knollys but that is absurdly faster bearing wear and is definitely not normal, same for the BB. I ride 1-2 times a week Vancouver/Squamish/Whistler and can easily get a full season out of bearings on my bikes, often 2, and I'm a heavy dude. I got close to 40 Whistler Bike Park days on a set of bearings on my Aurum including a shit load of dust/wet muddy days. I hose my bikes off (not pressure wash, just low pressure garden attachment) and use muchoff, obviously not pointed directly at bearings/seals.

Posted: Aug 20, 2018 at 10:40 Quote
The pivot bearings and IGUS bushings were worn on my 2016 knolly warden carbon in around 9 months. I've replaced them with enduro LLU bearings and we'll see how they last.
I'm in the U.K. and wash the bike after every ride in winter for reference.

Posted: Aug 20, 2018 at 12:28 Quote
Depends if you’re riding in the wet or dry really.

In a wet, muddy grit or sandstone environment it’s very easy to go through bearings quickly. Which is why many people choose to ride a hardtail in inclement weather.

Posted: Aug 20, 2018 at 19:09 Quote
BarneyStinson wrote:
Depends if you’re riding in the wet or dry really.

In a wet, muddy grit or sandstone environment it’s very easy to go through bearings quickly. Which is why many people choose to ride a hardtail in inclement weather.

Ride on “wet”coast of BC all year in rainy muddy conditions 6 months of the year, bearings are just fine... no need to ride a hard tail because of rain... if I did I’d never get to ride my fs. Lots of wet riding will shorten the life of bearings but not by much. Grease mine twice a year, before winter and after.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2019. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007949
Mobile Version of Website