What’s the worst thing about mountain biking?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
What’s the worst thing about mountain biking?
Posted: Nov 6, 2018 at 3:07 Quote
mistermtb wrote:
Volksbuilders wrote:
COST....LOL!!!!
I think this one is the worst too. I wanted to race a full season of enduros around my state of Utah but for the 8 events I could conceivably go to, it would have cost over $3000 for race entry and travel alone. That put an end to my racing ambition real quick lol. It also sucks for newer riders like a buddy of mine. He bought a pretty nice bike but he doesn't ride it very much because it is in dire need of maintenance which is expensive. So he doesn't ride and then says he can't justify spending money on repairs since he barely rides! We are also broke college students so that exacerbates the problem. But yeah, the cost of mountain biking it is a shitty reality.

Fix your bikes yourselves. Get all your mates to pitch in for a tool kit if you can't borrow stuff. Do the same for oils, greases and cleaners. The internet will tell you what to do, that's probably free. A workstand can be either bought for not much cash, or made for next to nothing.

As students I imagine you've got some free time on your hands, and hopefully an aptitude for learning. Start by taking apart, cleaning and putting back together.

Posted: Nov 6, 2018 at 7:20 Quote
kijen123.

Florida is great. We get to ride all year. I’m in LA (lower Alabama, so not like the rest of FL), and cold in the winter, but still get to ride. Summer is hot and humid, so I just ride in my bathing suit and jump in my pool to cool off.

Yes, we have soft sand, lots of roots and no mountains, but not many rocks to break things either.

I haven’t ridden the Miami area, but they have some really nice bike parks there. For me Oak Mountain in Birmingham is 3 times closer.

Spider webs year round though.

Posted: Nov 6, 2018 at 9:36 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
kijen123.

Florida is great. We get to ride all year. I’m in LA (lower Alabama, so not like the rest of FL), and cold in the winter, but still get to ride. Summer is hot and humid, so I just ride in my bathing suit and jump in my pool to cool off.

I'm sure they wash off in your pool too. Git.

FL
Posted: Nov 6, 2018 at 9:50 Quote
fielonator wrote:
Fix your bikes yourselves. Get all your mates to pitch in for a tool kit if you can't borrow stuff. Do the same for oils, greases and cleaners. The internet will tell you what to do, that's probably free. A workstand can be either bought for not much cash, or made for next to nothing.

As students I imagine you've got some free time on your hands, and hopefully an aptitude for learning. Start by taking apart, cleaning and putting back together.

Yeah, I do all my own service except for rebuilding rear shocks, bleeding brakes, or doing a damper rebuild on a fork. For my buddy, I guess he's just not into riding enough to put the time and money into fixing his bike. Of course there are solutions to make riding cheaper and in my case of race entries, I suppose if I REALLY wanted it, I would have dropped all my money on racing. But cost is still a large obstacle for me and many people I know.

Posted: Nov 6, 2018 at 11:22 Quote
fielonator wrote:
DonLopez wrote:
kijen123.

I'm sure they wash off in your pool too. Git.

Jealous much!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021850
Mobile Version of Website